Esteemed Contributor

Each Fall I order at least six Holiday Memory soy jar candles from Kohl's with sugar cookie scent. (Totally awesome). I have two left from last year and when I received my new order I realized that my two from last year have turned a kind of brown sugar color where they were cream in color when new. They smell good, but I have not tried to burn them as of yet. Can they turn bad due to being soy?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I've had candles 'turn' but usually it takes longer than that. It has been really hot this year, and my guess is that if they weren't kept in air conditioned environment, they might just have gotten too warm. 

I've never noticed a scent problem with candles this happens to, but they don't look so nice.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I've had candles 'turn' but usually it takes longer than that. It has been really hot this year, and my guess is that if they weren't kept in air conditioned environment, they might just have gotten too warm. 

I've never noticed a scent problem with candles this happens to, but they don't look so nice.

Thank you. I had not considered that. Yes, we had really hot weather here and we do not have air conditioning. I appreciate your input. Makes perfect sense.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

This is a timely post for me since I threw a candle out today that I thought turned bad.  It was a candle in a can and I had it since last December. I can't remember if it was soy or not but when I opened the can the candle had some brown spots on it so I threw it out.