Honored Contributor

CITY APARTMENT, COUNTRY COTTAGE

[ Edited ]

Cathy Kincaid is a decorator who seems to be a master of traditional style, whether urban or rural.  This living room below was described as being a Manhattan "pied-a-terre".  It's one of those cozy places that seems to shut out the outside world (even though you get a killer view out those windows!).  Love the painted paneling on the fireplace wall, the amazing secretary and the painting over the fireplace.

JBM_Fetter_14A-1.jpg

JBM_Fetter_24-1.jpg

JBM_Fetter_01-1.jpg

JBM_Fetter_23-1.jpg

JBM_Fetter_08A-1.jpg

This is probably nutty, but I love this bathroom as much as any other room.  New Yorkers, would you say it is huge by Manhattan standards?  And that tall, narrow window-- neat!  I'm drawn to the glossy wood and the slight nautical feeling, reminds me of a yacht...

JBM_Fetter_03-1.jpg

Now, here's the "country" house she decorated for herself.  Her own residence she describes as a "restored cottage".  It feels low-key, but still classic and traditional.

mudroom1_548dog-1.jpg

livingroom5_598-1.jpg

livingroom1_194-1.jpg

livingroom2_220-1.jpg

Her dining room with its whimsical dog portrait:

dinningroom1_121-1.jpg

dinningroom7det_695-1.jpg

dinningroom2_169-1.jpg

kitchen1_618-1.jpg

Almost forgot the butler's pantry!

butlerspantry1_527-1.jpg

mstrbedroom1_293-1.jpg

Although I'm not a "mural" person, Cathy Kinkaid's use of very historic, antique-looing ones, I think, is bold and interesting.  Sally Quinn commissioned a similar looking one for her Maryland house that also sticks in my memory.

The lacquered ceilings she often does are also a standout for me-- very glamorous.   Also her quirky mix of contemporary art with very traditional paintings-- these are touches that make even "classic" decorating more personal, I think. 

Honored Contributor

Re: CITY APARTMENT, COUNTRY COTTAGE

@Oznell Nope. There are a couple of small elements I like but it's just too busy and too much stuff. Plus I loathe gold frames on mirrors, just can't stand them but that's just me!

Respected Contributor

Love both of them for different reasons!  I like her aesthetic very much.  I was happy you mentioned that the ceilings were lacquered,  I wasn't sure if it was lacquered or silver leaf.  Love the reflections from it.  It would be amazing at night with only candle light and have it reflected on the ceiling.  Shimmer and shine!  Thanks for posting!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Thanks for sharing these, @Oznell . 

I do like Kincaid's style - there is a lot of stuff, but she put everything together thoughtfully and beautifully.  I think I would feel comfortable in either Manhattan or the "country" setting - especially with the dog.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm not crazy about most of the rooms, except the sage gree dining room. I love that color !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Gorgeous! The only thing I'm not crazy about is that wallpaper in one of the bedrooms.  

Trusted Contributor

In the city apartment, I love the window seat, but not the scenery.

In the cottage, I Love the dog.  Smiley Happy   The rooms have too much stuff

for my taste.

Honored Contributor

That’s so pretty. Country style living in the city sounds pretty nice. It would make a good sanctuary from the hustle and bustle. 

Honored Contributor

Both places are absolutely beautiful and very appealing to me.  Much of my taste and style agrees with the furnishings and decor.  I love the wall paintings and the mural especially!  Everything is elegant and the views spectacular. The bathroom size is big for a Manhattan apartment but it is surely lovely.  

I could easily move into either place or both without hesitation,  the style and design of this decorator fits me like a glove!

Honored Contributor

There are individual items & elements I like, but overall, the rooms are a bit overdone for me and too cluttered. The first city apartment is too formal, but I do like the window seat area. I prefer the more casual style of the cottage but still too much stuff everywhere. The dog is cute!