Honored Contributor

CHARMING FOLK ART PORTRAITS OF PEOPLE OF COLOR AND OTHERS

I really enjoy primitive decorating, even though it's not my personal style, which is hopelessly eclectic. 

But I love primitive touches.  Lots of those who do decorate in that style gravitate toward folk art portraiture, and a wonderful painter in that style is William Matthew Prior, born in Maine, and who lived from 1806-- 1873.

Here's his own self-portrait:

Self-portrait,_by_William_Matthew_Prior.jpg

Because of his deep Christian religious convictions, he was firmly opposed to slavery, and included black subjects, among others, in his repertoire.  This was unusual for the time.  He also was more likely to portray people of the time who were middle class, not of the "elite" (who were traditionally more likely to be depicted in art at the time.)  So he's very interesting.

Here's his stunning portrait of Mrs. Nancy Lawson, who I believe was a free woman of color:

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 1.13.13 PM.png

Portrait of William Whipper:

folk_10347_image.jpg

Bust Portrait of a Young Black Gentleman:

n10306-1652-bfhtg-web.jpg

"Three Sisters of the Copeland Family"

William_Matthew_Prior_-_Three_Sisters_of_the_Copeland_Family_-_48.467_-_Museum_of_Fine_Arts.jpg

In fact, his portraits of children of all types are engaging. 

Some of the them are quite quirky, showing children who appear to be naughty, or on the verge of naughtiness!  But mostly they are just cute, like the one above, and this one:

William Matthew Prior, (American artist, 1806-1873) Girl with a Black Cat.jpg

Anyway, there are nice canvas repros of William Matthew Prior's work available --  I first noticed the one of Mrs. Nancy Lawson on Anne Clay  The Primitive Home site, if anyone is interested.

Honored Contributor

Re: CHARMING FOLK ART PORTRAITS OF PEOPLE OF COLOR AND OTHERS

I love these folk art paintings and enjoyed your comments about this artist.  I especially liked the portrait of the three girls, so charming and sweet.  Thank you for your post on Mr. Prior's works of art, I do appreciate the arts and being introduced to those artists I am not familiar with.  I would love to have one of the portraits on my wall!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Stunning subjects in the portraits. Apparently his family had a healthy truth to their religious convictions.  My son makes his living as an artist.  He's controversial and I love it.  While I appreciate all art for the sake of art,  for me the wilder and more colorful the better. 

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, love primitives and folk art, including folk art dolls.  I have a small collection that I adore.  Several (dolls an artwork) are of people of color.  They are beautiful pieces that I cherish.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Very well done!  Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

Love that there are appreciators of folk art here!  I'm not as conversant with the style as so many of you here, but much of it resonates with me.

The Anne Clay Primitive Home site has many videos as well.  I think she lives in Massachusetts, lives in a very old house that she has decorated with primitives, and gives video tours of other houses.

This bed chamber that she recently showed, with its own striking portrait, was so sweet:

unnamed.jpg

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing portraits by folk artists. I have been collecting folk art for decades. The more primitive, the better.  I prefer pieces from the naive period. My favorite is Anna Mary Robertson Moses....Grandma Moses. I have a small painting done by Will Moses.