Honored Contributor

CALIFORNIA BEACHSIDE KITCHEN

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-3.jpg

Amber Interiors is the quintessential, very 'California', sporty, relaxed-but-luxe-living, design firm. She's of course, way more contemporary than I am ( I prefer smaller touches) but I love the materials and fine finishes you always find in an 'Amber Interior' house....

This kitchen struck me.  Here:  reclaimed French limestone floors, white oak cabinets, unlacquered brass plumbing.  And see the black pizza oven opening in the background left?

Two different materials were used for the counters-- Calacatta marble, and this dark stone .  I like the earthy drama of it combined with the smooth marble elsewhere.

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-23-1_800x1000_acf_cropped.jpg

The pizza oven, heavy beam and the airiness brought by the skylights--  makes me think of the timeless Italian countryside...

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-5-2a.jpg

Looking toward the breakfast nook and the family room.  Handsome pendant lights over the island.  One of the few elements that brings a bit of the nautical?

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-19-1-1a.jpg

I love rattan and wicker (so friendly and warm), of all kinds, so this breakfast nook hits me just right!

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-24-2a.jpg

Pretty family room, what a great hangout!  Serene.

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-33-1-2048x1337.jpg

The antique rugs she chooses are always yummy and warm those limestone floors....

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-42-1.jpg

Posting a few of the other rooms, entrance and peeking into living room...

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-53-1.jpg

What a wild painting in living room!   Spotlit donkey and a little huddled group of humans!   Not my particular thing, but it is interesting to find this provocative art in a beach house, as opposed to prints of sailboats or crashing waves...

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-59-1.jpg

And this library to me is also unexpected in a beach house.  Love the oval windows and warm woods.  I am NOT a fan of the Berber-type wooly upholstery on chairs, but can see how that, along with the burnished leather chairs, would be probably nice and "sink-into" in a library...

Amber-Interiors-Client-Bu-Round-Two-Tessa-Neustadt-147-1.jpg

The knock on much of modern and contemporary design is that it's "cold",  but I don't find that here, with its mix of contemporary, vintage and midcentury elements.  To me this is a beach house that is not "cliche" coastal, and could be quite cozy, even with a massive ocean fog rolling in!   Load up the pizza oven...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CALIFORNIA BEACHSIDE KITCHEN

Its very pretty but you'd exhaust yourself running around that kitchen assembling supplies and ingredients.  Not efficiently planned. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 IMO someone who can afford this kitchen isn't really too worried about the staff running themselves ragged putting together a meal LOL.....but I agree with you that the fridge is on one side, the sink another, and that huge stove another. 

Esteemed Contributor

The simplicity and mixed styles are attractive. I would include more color.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Meh. The only things that really stood out for me were the lovely windows throughout and that long cabinet in the living room. Otherwise, just not my thing.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The only thing I like about the kitchen is the skylights.  Normally, I don't like skylights (the single window ones---blah).  The sink area is horrid looking!  Looks like paneling from the 60's on the cabinetry.

The windows are nice throughout the house, too.

Esteemed Contributor

There is very little I like about this home.  Kitchen is cold and unworkable,  breakfast area is so uncomfortable looking and difficult to maneuver around for some older adults.  Chairs in family room not comfortable looking again.   Very impractical if indeed it is beachside.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You had me at California beachside!  But it is gorgeous.  The blue/gray sink is unbelievably beautiful!  Never seen anything like it.  Potfiller over the stove!  I also love the white marble backsplash and counter.  The tile floors.  All mixed in with the beachy light wood.  I have no use for anything that big, but I will take it!  This home is understated elegance!  The muted colors are peaceful, not boring.  Like the diversity of materials, diverse wood colors, the faded rugs.

Looks like they have double sinks, double stove, maybe double fridge, so just a guess, a conservative kosher kitchen?

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of these really high ceilings or much of anything else about it.  Where do they keep the ladder to reach those ridiculously tall cabinets?  Even a 6' guy would have trouble reaching the top of those.  And I've never really gotten why anyone, besides perhaps a professional chef, needs two sinks in a kitchen.

But that's just me; I find it rather cold and impersonal, with the exception of the cozy breakfast nook.  I could curl up there with a book and cup of tea.

Trusted Contributor

My favorite thing is the breakfast nook! I always love a nook and that's a good one!