Honored Contributor

Re: Builder Grade Oak- UPDATED

@GenXmuse wrote:

Very nice transformation. I'm not a fan of builder's oak too. It's served it's purpose but this really looks sophisticated. 

@GenXmuse 

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

Thank you for sharing this! I have a condo that I rented to a friend for several years and am about to list it. I wanted to do some cosmetic tweaks to it (it was built in the late 90's); your picture gave me some much needed inspiration! 

@Mellyg 

Go for it!

For me, I was so sick of looking at that oak that I needed to do something different, and I was thinking that it couldn't look much worse...

Esteemed Contributor

My home was built in 2000 with all that oak from the 80s and 90s.

Since moving here just over 2 years ago I had the kitchen cabinets painted white and the master bath XL double vanity painted gray. Still deciding what, if anything to do with the railings and bannister. The upstairs full bath is oak. I was going to paint or stain the sink base and the wall unit over the toilet, but I see no value in spending any $ in that upstairs loft area that is only used a couple times a year and would not add any resale value, although I have no plans to sell. This is my last home before assisted living or the grave, whichever comes first.

Honored Contributor

You did a great job.  I love it.

It's amazing what some paint, stain and elbow grease can do.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono 

Very nice stain job, really pretty.  Your hard work paid off with good results.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono   Thank you so much! Smiley Happy. Looks like I might have to wait until the spring for good ventilation.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono 

Very nice transformation, lola. How long did this project take and where did you find the time with your crazy school year?!?!?🙃

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

Very nice transformation, lola. How long did this project take and where did you find the time with your crazy school year?!?!?🙃

@magicmoodz 

Thank you!

It actually took close to a month.  I first taped off everything and applied the liquid sandpaper.  That was one night.

The next night I used the stain, but with a very heavy hand as I used the gel stain pads and I wanted good coverage.

We had the windows open and a fan going for a few days, but parts of it were taking a long time to cure, like 6 days.

Then I had to wait until there was another stretch of good weather, and between the first staining and the second coat I got pretty sick, so I didn't really have the energy to tackle it after work.

Once I did the second coat of stain, I let it cure for another 4-5 days before I did the wipe on poly.

I gave that a few more days and applied the second coat.  I didn't feel like I needed another coat, but for us it's not a high traffic area.  If we had kids I might have applied a third coat, but I think it looks great as is.  I don't need it to be super shiny.

I would probably do this in the spring (or fall) when you can devote a month to allow for drying times between coats.  If you do a combination of paint and stain, to allow for eveyything to cure before you can tape off the sections it will be longer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono 

So do I understand correctly? You didn't need to do any sanding when using Liquid Sandpaper? If so, that is awesome. It almost makes me wish I had a project! Well not really, I am pretty lazy!

My woodwork and with the exception of the entry door are all white. All the other wood is cherry ( brown not red). When we first moved in I really thought about transforming the kitchen to white...but even having a pro do it, well...like I said, I'm lazy.😕

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

So do I understand correctly? You didn't need to do any sanding when using Liquid Sandpaper? If so, that is awesome. It almost makes me wish I had a project! Well not really, I am pretty lazy!

My woodwork and with the exception of the entry door are all white. All the other wood is cherry ( brown not red). When we first moved in I really thought about transforming the kitchen to white...but even having a pro do it, well...like I said, I'm lazy.😕

@magicmoodz 

Correct- no sanding required.

It roughs up the texture a bit, knocks down the shine of the poly or whatever they used to treat the oak.

It would not work for areas that had a lot of coverage, but since this probably hadn't been sealed since 1992 it worked for my purposes. I did use it for another project, which required spray paint.  I used the all in one primer/paint for that project, and the surface that I was covering just needed to be roughed up a bit.