Super Contributor

I will be making a pillow using the basketweave stitch.  I want to have contrasting colors on the sides, like 2 stripes but I can't decide what stitch to use for the stripes.  Would a half double crochet look okay with the basketweave?  I just wanted to add a little different texture with the contrasting color.  Open to suggestions here!

Also, the yarn label says to use a 9mm hook with this yarn (Lion Brand super bulky) which seems kind of large for a pillow.  I don't want any "holes".  Do you think it would be all right to drop down a couple sizes?  Gauge isn't important.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

Crochet a few rows and see if you like the density of the weave

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Wonder if a sample gauge wouldn't allow you to see how a 9 would look.  ??

Super Contributor

I forgot to mention I don't own a 9mm hook.  I'd have to go buy one.  Guess I'm being lazy...don't feel like going out to Hobby Lobby!

I'll try a few rows with a smaller hook and see if I like it.

Any thoughts on how half double crochet will look with basketweave?

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

For me, I think I would stick with a double (if that is what is the basketweave) since there is already a lot texture in the basketweave.  Could switch orientation.

If you cover the pillow with a matching color of fabric the "showthru" will be less.

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 

You really need to make a sample swatch ... that's the only way to tell.

The hook size you need depends on your own tension.  You can always adjust the number of stitches and rows to fit your measurements.

Super Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@caroln242 

You really need to make a sample swatch ... that's the only way to tell.

The hook size you need depends on your own tension.  You can always adjust the number of stitches and rows to fit your measurements.

Yeah, you're right.  I'll just have to take the time to do a sample piece.  Since I don't want any "holes" I'll probably do a tighter tension than I nomally do.  The only pillow inserts I found were in white and the yarn is dark blue, so I really don't want the white to show through.

Thanks all.

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

I finally finished the pillow I was making.  It took me forever...remind me NEVER to use bulky yarn again with the basket weave stitch!  Thought I'd break my fingers before I was done.  But I ended up using 1 size smaller hook to get a tight stitch and did one side the basket weave and the other side half double crochet.

For my first time doing the basket weave, I think it turned out pretty good.

We should start a crochet/knitting topic where we can show our projects!  Or is there one already??

pillowside1.jpg

pillowside2.jpg

Man plans. God laughs.
Regular Contributor

I think a craft page for us crocheters would be great!  Kudos to you for  suggesting it.

Respected Contributor

@caroln242 

Beautiful!