Honored Contributor

Re: Bleaching Towels -- Question

I use regular bleach on my white towels.  I'm going to try the white revive though.

I don't use bleach every time I wash towels - maybe once a month I'll use bleach.  

My towels are always very white.

Honored Contributor

When I bought my white towels, I had to carefully check the label.  Many of them say not to bleach.  It was not that easy finding those that were bleachable (at BB&B).  I prefer to bleach my white towels.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

have never heard you should not use bleach on white towels.

i bleach my white towels and use the sanitize cycle on my washing machine and dryer.

@sunshine45  - most white, 100% cotton items say not to use chlorine bleach on them anymore.  Someone told me it's because the quality of the cotton isn't what it used to be.  I still use it on towels and white underwear.

Honored Contributor

There's no doubt that chlorine bleach rots and causes textiles to deteriorate. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

have never heard you should not use bleach on white towels.

i bleach my white towels and use the sanitize cycle on my washing machine and dryer.

@sunshine45  - most white, 100% cotton items say not to use chlorine bleach on them anymore.  Someone told me it's because the quality of the cotton isn't what it used to be.  I still use it on towels and white underwear.

@CelticCrafter 

i dont even check the labels on white towels. if mine do say that then i am bleaching them anyways. lol......i bleach pretty much anything that is white, but especially towels and underwear. have not had any issues with quality or rotting from the use of bleach. if i did, i would just replace them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

In our water, even with a softner, there is iron. I have found using bleach on whites does not whiten anything in my water, but makes them dull and grey looking. I would never own white towels for just that reason, never get them or keep them white here.

Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ ...the Oxyclean revive....when I was dh's white undershirts can I also have his colored boxers in the same wash load?....I don't want to ruin the boxers....thanks

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I've used it on colors as well. I usually soak my whites (towels, sheets, bathroom mats) separately using the white revive. 

Honored Contributor

i Just wash white towels in warm water and Tide.  They stay white and beautiful for a long time.

If I feel they are getting dingy, I wash them with RIT color remover.  It is not bleach and it it safe for all fabrics.

I also use RIT for my white tee shirts, button down shirts and all of my white clothing if they lose that optic white look.

When  my son lived at home and did plumbing and heating in a uniform that included a white button down shirt, his shirts were stained, dingy and just plain ugly.  RIT color remover would bring them back to like new condition.  I swear by this stuff.

Respected Contributor

rit color remover. do get that where fabic dye is? and do you just put it in with laundry deterdent?  until i never new they made it. im interested.