Honored Contributor

I suggest starting out by making a few aprons out of cheap fabrics. Then advance to a skirt and do skirts until you get good at zippers.Then go to a blouse or top with sleeves and make that until you get good at sleeves. Then you are ready for a dress. To make a dress you need some basic fitting skills because you can learn how to adjust the pattern to your body and your clothes will fit like a dream. To learn this you need some lessons. You will also do darts on a dress which are easy but still must be learned. Pants are the most difficult to get a good fit on - I have been sewing for over 50 years and I still only make pants if they are ones with an elastic waist. I HATE fitting pants.

Honored Contributor

It just occurred to me that maybe you could borrow a sewing machine from someone for a month or a few weeks to see if you like it.  It requires some space, and quite a bit of cleaning up after from the strings and bits of fabric, and now days clothing is so cheap you won't save a lot of money on it.  So, it would be good to give it a whirl before investing a lot.

I'll bet you know someone who has a machine in a closet!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor
I too quite doing lots of clothes since the mid 90s when fabric prices went up and ready made prices dropped drastically. I use it mainly for alterations, quilting and home goods. I also like to practice tailoring from buying clothes at thrift shops and altering them to fit since I have a full bust and full hips with a full, bubble butt, but an hourglass figure. I get to practice deconstructing the pieces and making personalized fit items. I also do that to learn how to alter more difficult pieces like lined jackets and pants, plus pants pockets and leg/crotch fit.
Honored Contributor

It's nice to see you are looking into such neat hobby.  I taught clothing and or tailoring for twenty-five of my thirty -six years teaching. I made all of my own clothes from Vogue patterns for a number of years as well as curtains and drapes for two houses and tablecloths, placemats, and napkins for myself and others.

I would highly suggest you go to your local community college as your first step.  There you will be walked through projects with instruction and hints you can take away with you.  You'll also learn to fit yourself and have experience on their machines which will allow you to make a better investment.

I would also get an instructon book with good ilistrations to allow you to see what things look like.  Readers Digest's New Complete Guide To Sewing is almost five stars and is on Amazon.  Have a great time!

<script type="a-state" data-a-state="{"key":"detail-page-device-type"}">// {"deviceType":"web"} // </script> The New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making Clothes and Home Accessories Updated Edition with All-New Projects and Simplicity Patterns (Reader's Digest): Editors of Reader's Digest: 9781606522080: Amazon.com: Books

Contributor

That is a good tip I never would have thought of!

Contributor

That is what I'm looking forward to, the feeling of accomplishment and empowerment knowing I can clothe myself and make my clothes look how I want ;-) That seems so wonderful!

Contributor

I didn't even think of YouTube, what a great idea! And I'll start pressing (I'm embarrassed to admit I have an iron I never used)... these are things I should get into the habit of using. I have a small office, I should set it up in one corner by the window Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

So glad the OP started this thread. I, too, am wanting to learn how to sew. My problem is that I'm very limited in time that I could attend a class and it seems like most are held during the week while I'm at work. I've thought that what I'd really like to do would be to pay someone to come to my house and give me a private lesson (I'd be willing to pay a premium for this.) do you think any sewing teacher would be willing to do that? 

@Goldengate8361

I'm so glad you want to learn how to sew.  Do you know S.F.?  If so and are not afraid of Union Square, park in the Sutter Parking Garage and head for Britex Fabrics, on Geary, right across the street from Neiman Marcus; or there is an entrance off of Maiden Lane.  Head for Customer Service (up a small elevator).  *Don't look at any fabric - you'll want to buy out the store.  I've been to many, many fabric stores over the years and this is by far the "Neiman Marcus" of fabric stores.  Need a not so special fabric or REAL special  fabric, button or trim?  OMG, they have the best on the top floor (the buttons and trim, that is).

Note:  Since moving out of The City, Britex may have gone out of business.  Please check online for them. (They used to make all of the costumes for the San Francisco Opera.)

I think finding a "sewist," that what they're called these days, is an absolutely terrific idea.  Please get back to us with your results.

All the best ~ Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beginner to Sewing

[ Edited ]

@IHeartFashion

I've been watching "Miracle on 34th Street" and became distracted, so need to get back to you.

*  I watch Peggy Sagers regularly on Saturdays on PBS.  She uses a Husqvarna machine.  Her background it in design/patterns and fashion manufacturing. She's a terrific sewist.  See if you can locate her show on your PBS Channel or via peggysagers.com.

*  Peggy's advice to new sewers is to learn to sew straight lines only, at first.  Sewing a piece with a curve (appliance covers and the like) may require that you know how to "ease" the fabric you're working with.

*  When you go to the fabric store to purchase "any old" piece of fabric to practice a lot on, I would recommend looking at the fabric and the edges.  If you see that the edge of the fabric easily peals off, that means the fabric is using not enough "threads" per inch which could give you all kinds of grief and possibly jam your machine.  I would suggest asking a sales associate to find you a nice beige muslin which is woven not loosely.  Tell her/him that you're a beginner and just want the fabric to practice on.

*  Once you have this beige fabric, purchase one spool of 50 weight poly-cotton thread in  a DARK color. It's important to know what your bobbin thread looks like and whether it requires adjusting, hence the dark thread aginst the beige muslin.

*  Sounds like you're pretty busy.  Once you have your beginning supplies, fabric and thread, I'd plan to "sew" straight lines; next is folding the fabric, so you get a sense of what it feels like to sew on two layers of fabric, because that's the kind of sewing you'll be doing.   Sew these lines whenever you get a chance.  Make sure you have ample opportunities to place new thread on your bobbin and to "thread" the thread through your machine and then the needle.

Good Luck!

p.s.  I know much of this makes no sense, but once you've engaged an instructor, all will become wonderful.

Edited to add:  How could I have forgotten to advise that you watch "Sewing with Nancy" another PBS program on Saturdays.  Nancy's love of sewing began in 4H and ramped up from there.  Her shows are informtive and educational.  Some of her shows have a printed notebook and CD/DVD which takes you through every step of the project and ususally cost 14.95-$16.95, depending on the length of the project.  Check out Nancy's Notions online.  She began this business in her basement and sold it a couple of years ago to a business associate

Trusted Contributor

As someone who as sewn for 40+ years...since I was nine years old, and has a room dedicated to my serger, sewing machines, and various embroidery machines....my advice would be to go to a local dealer and check out some of their lower to mid-range sewing machines.   You can even buy reconditioned models.

One of my favorite brands is Brother.  But, not the Brothers that are sold at Walmart and the other discount stores.  They are NOT the same.  You are better off spending an extra $100 and having dealer support.  Plus lots of classes are offered at the sewing shops.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"