Honored Contributor

Oh its so nice to hear that someone still wants to sew! I learned years ago in a sewing class in high school. I used to sew everything when I was newly married. When my kids came along I sew all their clothes. Its so nice to look back at old photos and see the lovely things I made! Sorry to say that I no longer sew my own clothes. I do alter my clothes and do hemming and such. If theres something I need for my home that I can't find outright I'll just make it myself. It just blows my mind when I hear women on this board talk about taking a pair of pants to a seamstress and pay someone to hem them! Its so easy just to do it yourself. But I was brought up sewing, so I see things differently. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

So glad the OP started this thread. I, too, am wanting to learn how to sew. My problem is that I'm very limited in time that I could attend a class and it seems like most are held during the week while I'm at work. I've thought that what I'd really like to do would be to pay someone to come to my house and give me a private lesson (I'd be willing to pay a premium for this.) do you think any sewing teacher would be willing to do that? 

Valued Contributor

I have to agree with what most others say --- keep it simple!!  I would use youtube myself and do it at your own pace.  It isn't that hard to learn yourself.  Another must have, besides the sewing machine, is a good iron!!  Pressing before sewing makes it much easier.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beginner to Sewing

[ Edited ]

If it were me and I was just starting out, I would go simple.  If you don't like your new hobby you aren't stuck with an expensive piece of equipment.

I learned how to sew 50 years ago on my mothers old Kenmore.  Once I started to work and was able to my own machine I bought a Singer and I hated it.  I remember begging my parents to replace it with a Kenmore one Christmas for me and they did.  It was a true workhorse and lasted 32 years before it started to need constant servicing.  It made everything from tiny little doll clothes to heavy woolen winter jackets and anything in between.

I replaced it about 10 years ago with, at the time, a Kenmore top of the line electronic model because I knew it would probably be the last machine I would buy.  It's proven itself to be another workhorse.  In a strange event here about 4 years ago it was knocked off the cabinet and crashed to the floor.  I figured it was doomed but I picked it up, tried all the functions and not a thing wrong with it.

I don't know why I'm telling you all about a Kenmore because, sadly they don't make them anymore but if you could get one reconditioned it's what I would recommend.

I do have a Brother embroidery only machine and that too is a hard worker.  If I ever had to replace the Kenmore, I would go with a Brother.

I love to sew, the house could come crashing down around me and I don't think I would look up!  I've learned that when I am sewing I cannot multi-task so I need to make sure all other chores have been taken care of before I sit down at the machine.

My other bits of advice would be if you do love it, don't let anyone else use it and buy a good pair of scissors that are used only for fabric and then hide those from anyone else in the house!  Touch my fabric scissors and be prepared for the dire consequences.

Honored Contributor

See if one of your local sewing centers offers classes. While it might be fun, you want to know what you're doing. Before you invest in a lot of things, do some classes. It's fun to do, did more when I was younger, but never my clothes. My mom could do that, but I had fun on what I did. I've never sold or intend to sell my sewing machine either. It's a portable. But do check it out, you may love it!

Honored Contributor

My other loved to sew and I do have a sewing machine that has not been touched in 30 years--but it is in a closet somewhere!  

From experience on my own, and from my mom, it is hard to beat some of the foreign machines like Bernina.  They are smooth, and sew without anxiety and without eating material the way some cheaper machines do.

That being said, I'll bet you can pick up an expensive machine from the PREcomputerized era that just sews, mechanical and NOT computer drived, several stitches and does it beautifully!  Check tag, estate and garage sales!  Mother LOVED her two Berninas and said they were a joy to use. Be sure all the needed attachments come with it.  Others here can advise on that.

Respected Contributor

I am no professional seamstress, but I do love to sew things. I bought my Husqvarna Emerald 118 at a Joanns with a sewing center. I thought I just wanted a nice basic machine. They had classes & I did take them. I had already sewn quite a bit, but it was nice to go over basics like buttonholes, zippers & hemming. 3 years ago I decided I wanted an embroidery machine, so I went to a sewing machine/vacuum shop & bought a Brother 950D (which only means that I can get Disney embroidery patterns on it). I love that machine & all of it's fancy stitches-on the regular sewing part. It is so fun & it sews like buttah! The embroidery part of the machine is great-it only does a 4X4 hoop-but it is soooooo fun. If you can go to any sewing shops & talk about some of the machines do that. Don't make a decision right there, no matter if they do tell you that they are only having a 1 hr special & you have to buy NOW. If you have more than 1 shop that you can go to, go to a couple & see what you learn, how you feel about the machines & what classes they offer. It's an expensive decision to make.

Esteemed Contributor

Depending on your budget, I would get a medium priced machine without too many bells and whistles to start. If you get one that is too "cheap", it might discourage your sewing. I taught myself to sew when I was in grade school with my mother's black iron Singer that only sewed forward. In 1969 after our first child was born, my dh purchased a Singer Golden Touch and Sew for me and I am still using it. I would suggest starting with inexpensive fabrics and make simple curtains, table runners, appliance covers and that sort of thing. As you gain confidence, then you will feel comfortable advancing. I have made everything under the sun including a formal wedding dress for a friend. I do not sew my clothes anymore because it just isn't cost effective (for me). Patterns are very expensive and good material isn't cheap. Go for it and have a blast !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: Beginner to Sewing

[ Edited ]

When i was 13 and showed an interest in sewing my parents bought me a kenmore portable sewing machine. It went forward, backward and zig zagged only. I had that machine for 30 years !!! I really got their money's worth out of it. For Christmas 1992 my DH gave me a Singer 20 stitch. OMG I thought I had died and gone to heaven.I still have it - she is one of my best friends. She even goes home to PA with us every summer. I can't imagine not having her in my life. I do love to sew. I have since also purchased a White serger. If I were the OP I would advise starting out with a simple machine until you see how skilled you are and if you love it.

As for classes - they are usually offered at sewing machine stores or fabric stores like Hancock or Joanns.I have also taken a few night classes at the community college - usually in some specific skill related to sewing  like tailoring a man's suit.

Respected Contributor

Go to a thrift shop and find a good, old, metal sewing machine.  You can find them for $10-50.  If you know what to look for you will know if it is a working machine.  You can find parts online or ebay. OR....Go for a good mechanical stitch machine or a Bother computerized.  I have two Brother computerized, one the big Project RUnway with almost 400 stitches.  It is the one I use most among my 15 machines.  I do own a Janome mechanical stitch, which was my first machine when I got back into sewing full time because I could take it to classes for quilting and the like far easier than my antique machines, which are heavy because they are all METAL.  I use my grandmother's old Singer 401A slant.  Well, I use them all from the trendle to the hand crank to the hot pink Brother.  I collect them anf fix them up.  You can fix anything but rust!

If you have a sewing friend, they should be able to guide you to a working sewing machine in a thrift shop, or just get a basic computerize one from some place with a good return policy like WalMart or BBB (they have coupons), so if it does break, you can replace it easily, but if it doesn't you can have a light weight machine with several stitich patterns to handle most of your basic sewing needs with better lighting and auto needle up/down, and variable stitch speed, than a basic old one.  Once you do several projects, the $200 or so machine will pay for itself.  If you can't spend that much at once, HSN does have a decent selection including Janome with flex pay, but a crappy return policy.  I wouldn't get a modern Singer because they just aren't what they used to be.  The Brothers run quieter and haven't had issues like the Singers that have been producted since they were bought out.