Honored Contributor

Re: Bedspreads: Solid or Print?

I'm not a quilt or bedspread person.  Comforters and blankets are what cover my beds.  Unfortunately only solids.  Don't want my bedroom to look drab.

Having the hardest time finding an ....elegant and unique comforter for our master bedroom in our summer home.

Only seeing gorgeous printed duvet covers and I haven't gone that route....

It has to be machine washable, even if it means going to the laudry mat and using those 40 lb machines once a year.  (typically used one or two seasons at most)  Do not want dry clean only.

Trusted Contributor

I am with @Mz iMac, I like those that reverse to a different colour.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quilt designs are my favorite. I'm far from elegant and I like the down home feeling you get with a quilt pattern.

Honored Contributor

I like both.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

For me it all depends on the rest of the room. It has to be not too busy. 

If the walls are painted and there isn't a ton of art I like a print that reflects the room's style. 

If the room has printed wallpaper or drapes with patterns, I want to see less or no pattern on the bed covering, or at least something like matching window treatments and bed covering. 

What I'm finding is that most of what I seen in quilts and bedspreads are cheap looking and the patterns horribly ugly. 

I use quilts, shams and dust ruffles in my bedrooms, and I have to look long and hard to find something that appeals to me. When I find it, I usually keep it for many years, as I just don't see a lot a like, especially that goes with the style of the room.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I prefer print bedspreads if I can find a pretty print I want.

I grew up with those white bedspreads that had a design in tied knots.  They slid when the bed was made and I never liked them.

On our bed, I have a quilt from Ethan Allen.  This one was always the most favorite of the top designer.

20190215_180740.jpg

@ECBG 

Is this your room? It is beautiful! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio When I was a very young teenager, (14), I went from the county to a new school in the city system.  I made a new friend whom I went home with one day.

Her mother had supported her father while he was in law school, and they had these incredible antiques I later learned were Victorian and country.  Her mother had gone to the dirty stock yards and bought them in the 1940's.

It was like my entire soul just centered.  I felt centered and peaceful.

I identified the dislike of everything I had seen up to that point (furniture from the 50's and 60's) which was in my parent's and grandparent's home.

Their window treatments were also tie backs which I had never seen.  We had "proper pleated drapes". 

I spent many nights in that house since their daughter and I became best friends.

When we were first married, having majored with Interior Design, knew quite a bit. I searched out antiques and begin to furnish our house piece by piece.  

This bed was at Ethan Allen.  I loved it! (knock off of castle furniture) 

I went to shows for the next 10 years and filled in the pieces with the help of an antiques dealer who actually wanted to marry me.  I didn't feel the same way, bless his heart!

The chest under the windows is the second piece I bought.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mominohio When I was a very young teenager, (14), I went from the county to a new school in the city system.  I made a new friend whom I went home with one day.

Her mother had supported her father while he was in law school, and they had these incredible antiques I later learned were Victorian and country.  Her mother had gone to the dirty stock yards and bought them in the 1940's.

It was like my entire soul just centered.  I felt centered and peaceful.

I identified the dislike of everything I had seen up to that point (furniture from the 50's and 60's) which was in my parent's and grandparent's home.

Their window treatments were also tie backs which I had never seen.  We had "proper pleated drapes". 

I spent many nights in that house since their daughter and I became best friends.

When we were first married, having majored with Interior Design, knew quite a bit. I searched out antiques and begin to furnish our house piece by piece.  

This bed was at Ethan Allen.  I loved it! (knock off of castle furniture) 

I went to shows for the next 10 years and filled in the pieces with the help of an antiques dealer who actually wanted to marry me.  I didn't feel the same way, bless his heart!

The chest under the windows is the second piece I bought.

@ECBG 

We are a bit of kindred souls!

I can appreciate just about any style of decor, for what it is and represents when well done. 

But what mostly speaks to me are pieces from the past, and I too remember it being that way for me from childhood. Particularly, I had a great aunt that had some old family pieces from both her side and her husband's. 

I've been lucky enough to inherit a number of those things, along with things that my parents bought when first married (which while 60 years old, aren't really antique in style), and I love them dearly. 

I can really get lost in colonial or primitive looks too and those along with antiques in general are really what speak to my soul in decorating. I think if I was starting over from scratch, I'd do a colonial home. 

But old homes, and old furniture seem to have emotion, feeling, and history attached to them for me. I feel the past, and the people that owned them (even if I don't know them). I feel they have seen joy, and sorrow, pain and pleasure. They have seen death and birth, and entire lives lived in and with them in between. If they could talk, the stories they could tell. All of it is so much more interesting and intriguing than  more modern things. 

I'm weird that way.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio I know exactly what you mean.  I've had too many things happen to me.  I hit an extremely hard patch 20 years ago.  I went to a therapist in a Victorian street.  It was spring.  I walked out on the front porch and someone was mowing grass.  I could see the other original homes on the street and wondered what it would be like to live at that time and what I would be cooking for dinner on a cast iron stove.  I so belonged.

I went back in, sat down, and a beautiful fragrance enveloped me.  I stood up.  No fragrance.  I sat down, it was a cloud around me.

I told her when I went in.  They had pulled out a baseboard the week before and found a picture of the woman and a key.  She said she knew I would react in some way when I came in and I am an old soul.  Another patient actually saw the couple walk through the waiting room which was the origonal parlor.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mominohio I know exactly what you mean.  I've had too many things happen to me.  I hit an extremely hard patch 20 years ago.  I went to a therapist in a Victorian street.  It was spring.  I walked out on the front porch and someone was mowing grass.  I could see the other original homes on the street and wondered what it would be like to live at that time and what I would be cooking for dinner on a cast iron stove.  I so belonged.

I went back in, sat down, and a beautiful fragrance enveloped me.  I stood up.  No fragrance.  I sat down, it was a cloud around me.

I told her when I went in.  They had pulled out a baseboard the week before and found a picture of the woman and a key.  She said she knew I would react in some way when I came in and I am an old soul.  Another patient actually saw the couple walk through the waiting room which was the origonal parlor.

Fascinating! @ECBG