Respected Contributor

Do they have to be level with the mattress?  We needed a table for our guest bedroom.  I really don't want a traditional nightstand as guests don't need drawers.  I wanted something different.

I found a round table with a top that I like and bought it.  Got it home and it's about 1-2" lower than the mattress.  It looks a bit 'short' to me but I like it so much, I'm temped to keep it.

Do bedside tables have to be at least the same height as the mattress?

Honored Contributor

I never read of a rule for bedside tables and doubt the bedside police are ticketing people.  I'd want mine high enough that I could comfortably reach for something while lying in bed.  If that'll work then I'd say it's fine.  Lie on the bed and try it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Prefer them a little taller so that a traditional lamp with shade  will be high enough  to read while in bed. If a table is at the level of a  mattress than you have to go with a  taller lamp or traditional  goose neck reading lamp

Respected Contributor

Thanks .  The lamps are tall and things will be easily reachable either sitting or reclining.  I think I can live with the slight "shortness". Return policy is 30 days. 

Honored Contributor

Ours are higher, but I don't think there's a rule.

At our summer place they are about the same height as the bed and I find if the pillows slide over they knock things off the table.  This is why I prefer higher.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine are lower than the bed. I put lamps on each side and it made it look copacetic. 

Honored Contributor

If there are bedside table rules, I have been defying them my entire life, as I've never had a nightstand, nor any type of bedside table beside my bed in the 65 years I've been alive.  

I also don't have lamps in my bedroom.  

Esteemed Contributor

I do have nightstands and while they are considered "tall" nighstands they are still a good 3" below my mattress.

Lighting is fine but reaching over and down at nightt can be awkward. 

As someone said, li down and try it out.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal 

What a timely question! We were out shopping for bedside tables for my guestroom today.  Most of them cost considerably more than I wanted to spend. We wound up buying two square livingroom end tables. They're grey wood and very simple, but exactly what I needed for a small room with a huge bed. They are probably 4" lower than the bed and I think they look lovely. The room has a ceiling fan with a very bright light, so I'm not planning to put lamps on the tables.  I'm happy with my choice and I think you will be happy with yours, as well.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

Thanks!  Your answer helps a lot.  I've also looked at LR end tables and would go with that but I haven't seen anything that I really liked.  Our guest room also is small, roughly 11x11 so the king bed takes up most of the room. I decided against 2 night stands because the other side table would be right next to the closet door.  There is a ceiling fan too but I have a lamp and will use it on the table.

I'm going to keep it.   I'm going to a lumber place and see if they can cut 3 blocks of wood to fit under the legs and that will raise it 2 " or so.  If I don't like the look of that, I'll go with the slightly lower table.

I'm sure your room looks lovely.