Esteemed Contributor

Re: Basement flooding ...need help!!!

I have some experience in this.  Cut to the chase, it could be helpful to consult a structural engineer, if you can find one that doesn't do big jobs only.  Could be overkill, but could also shed light on the situation.  Clearly standing water is an issue, and of course drainage remediation sounds likely, but you may want to know more about the functional utility of the lot and the home, in general.  Nothing ever works perfectly all the time, that's for sure.  I have some "quirks" in my home and surrounding area but have attempted to understand better how to mitigate things.  Seems to be working (and I love this home).  The more you know, the better able you will be to hire a decent contractor if you need one.  JM2cents.  Good luck!

Cogito ergo sum
Frequent Contributor

If you have rain gutters around your home, make sure they're clean. Clogged gutters won't do their job, and the water will overflow and run out and down very close to your house, exacerbating any flooding issues. I know from experience. Woman Embarassed

Respected Contributor

Be sure you have your gutters cleaned on a regular basis.  Also add extensions to the end of all downspouts so that they will drain far away from the house.  Trenching around the house and adding waterproofing material is next step.  Installing a sump pump may be necessary in the long run.

Super Contributor

Make sure your sump pump is working properly - or you may need a stronger sump pump.  Are your neighbors having the same problem?  Check with them also.  When I lived in Illinois, I had to get my sump pump replaced because I had water in my basement.  Now, I live in Florida where there are no basements.  I miss having a basement. 

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
New Contributor

Thanks you all for your comments. I have called upon the basement waterproofing service in our locality. They have done a good job.

Honored Contributor

• Do you have a sump pump?  If not, I'd install one before waterproofing the basement.  And do as others said - make sure water is draining away from the property (check grading of soil), and make sure your gutters are clean and properly taking water away from the foundation.