Respected Contributor

Re: Attn: Crafters! Do U Hoard?

@Dusty1wrote:

My jewelry making stash is ridiculous.

OMG!  You said the "J" word.  JEWELRY making is my next project!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Haha.  Yes, I've hoarded for every hobby I ever took up.  I have scrap booking, stain glass, quilting supplies.  They are out of site, so I still have them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Big Joaniewrote:

I'll give you an example .. does a 82 year old woman really need a

Holloween costume she wore when she was in high school ??

It hung on a hanger on the back of a door until it finally rotted and

fell off the hanger ....now that's hoarding ....and that's just the tip

of the iceberg ....

ROFLMAO!

When I disposed of  "everything" 3 yrs. ago, that included my star-spangled platform shoes I wore in 1974!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Othereeeenwrote:

I think that once a person cleans out the home of a dead parent or friend, they wake up to how MUCH stuff clutters not only the deceased person's life, but thier own.

It's what started me on the way to severe decluttering. I STILL watch QVC and sometimes find myself reaching for the phone to order, but then STOP.

So far in 2018 I have not order ONE THING from TeeVee or Amazon, or ANYWHERE, and that is after finalizing the sale of Mom's house, completing her estate paperwork and taxes, and then the relentless trips to the Salvation Army for her stuff and mine.

It is hard to get rid of stuff that reminds you of Mom, or your earlier days maybe while married or even a better time in your life.

BUT....it is actually freeing to make decisions and get rid of the oppressive clutter. 

Face it....if stuff is in the back of cupboards, closets, and if your $50,000 dollar car is out in the weather because your two car garage is stuffed with ****** you NEVER use and probably never will, that's a problem.

In my life, no more shelves, boxes, vacuum storage bags, bins, etc. No more "flat surfacitis". NO more underbed storage, metal safe boxes, plastic lids and storage containers. If it needs to be stored, it's outta here!!!

I love going down my basement....you could hold a dance down there!!!!!

You sound very happy and relieved and I can imagine it is quite a weight off your shoulders.

I hope to achieve a happy medium.

I too, went to the absolutely nothing under the beds mantra a few years ago. I was raised with nothing under beds, and I hate when there is.  My only exception is the leaves for the dining table. They must be stored flat or they will warp, so under the spare bed they are, but only them. 

I have come to the point if I have trouble accessing something, I don't use it. If I don't use it what good is it? So my latest thing is that the closet, cupboard, drawer, shelf has to be usable and everything in/on it accessible, or there is too much and something has to change. 

Going to the basement to unstack, dig out, unwrap, unbox, something in order to use it is going to be a thing of the past for me (unless it is once a year kind of stuff like Christmas decor). 

Long process, but getting there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, not anymore.

About 7 years ago we had to do a major dekrap so my brother could come live with us.

I went through every craft item and sewing/quilting item I had stashed all over and every where and managed to get it down to one Rubbermaid tote and I've kept it that way. 

Gone are the days where I think I may want to learn a new craft - I stick to what I love which is sewing and quilting - or the days of buying fabric just because.  I'm able to go through what I have and find what I am looking for to make a quilt without having to buy more. 

Honored Contributor

I knit and crochet. 

I don't like to use the word "hoard," but I doubt I'll live long enough to use up all the yarn in my stash.

And, please don't even bring up the number of knitting and crochet books I have. 

Respected Contributor

@RinaRinawrote:

@Big Joaniewrote:

I'll give you an example .. does a 82 year old woman really need a

Holloween costume she wore when she was in high school ??

It hung on a hanger on the back of a door until it finally rotted and

fell off the hanger ....now that's hoarding ....and that's just the tip

of the iceberg ....

ROFLMAO!

When I disposed of  "everything" 3 yrs. ago, that included my star-spangled platform shoes I wore in 1974!

Lol .. my Mother was in high school in the 30's .....

Esteemed Contributor

Even though I am a crafter, I don't consider myself a hoarder. I try and use up what I have on hand when starting a project - whether its scrapbooking or crocheting. I recently did a thorough clean out of things I no longer use in the scrapbook area.

And now, where I live it is much too hot for me to crochet so I donated the yarn to the senior center.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I crafted and did shows for over ten years. I had so much stuff that my husband built me a craft studio. It was fun....but I don't do it anymore and now the studio is being turned into an extended dressing room and computer area. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not crafty at all, but I have done some scrapbooking in the past.  To make the pages different from each other I had to buy buy buy.  I had so many scrapbook supplies it was ridiculous.  I finally put it all in big bins in the garage.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau