Honored Contributor

Re: Are any of you doing "minimalization?"

I think the thing to keep in mind when decrapitating is to not just turn it into a pile of garbage for the landfill.  Reuse (as in donate), re-purpose (give it a good think and see if it can serve another purpose, or recycle.

This is what I try to do.

Honored Contributor

I think I'm pretty close to being a minimalist. Not fully there, but really close.

I don't keep things in my house that don't serve a purpose or don't bring me joy.   

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Think I might finally be there.  Today I am fretting about why I have TWO cheese slicers 😂

Contributor

My husband and I recently updated our kitchen.  In the process of restoring order, we filled four boxes with goods for donation: dishes, kitchen towels, glassware, knives, tools and cookbooks.  We won't miss any of it.  We cut our bar at the sink down to counter-height, so we are donating our old bar stools too.

Our "new and improved" kitchen looks fresh, open and less cluttered.  We intend to keep it that way.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Has your downsizing gone to minimalization?  I once thought of that, and right out the window it went.  

@qualitygal  I tried it once....not for me. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

YES!   I have never been one to want a lot of stuff, whether it be clothes, shoes, jewelry, handbags, etc.  I don't like to spend money, and I do not shop.   

In the 9 years since I retired, a ton of stuff has left this house.  50% of it came from my aunt and grandmothers houses after they died.  By the time I retired, that stuff had been here long enough for my attachment to subside; I burned what I could, sent a lot to the dump, and kept very little.  

Finally letting go of my loved ones things has made it much easier for me to let go of items that are just here taking up space, in my home, and my mind.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop Me too!  I decided long before our last move that I was not a museum and was going to go with my stuff, not somebody else's.

I don't even want to see all the artwork we had at our other house.  It's in a closet and I really need to pitch it out--including mom's paintings.  I am sick of seeing stuff hanging on the walls and collecting dust.

Trusted Contributor

I would be a minimalist if I lived alone.  But I love my DH dearly and therefore put up with his crapitation.  I will continue to decrap my stuff.

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Think I might finally be there.  Today I am fretting about why I have TWO cheese slicers 😂

@Still Raining, One is for back -upWoman Very Happy.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes, but not successfully- 🤣🤣🙄