Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appliances - another one bit the dust!

[ Edited ]

After both my 17 year old Sears washer and dryer died last year, we bought  middle of the line GEs since we've always had good luck with that brand. I've been using them for a year and have absolutely no complaints - in fact, I like them better because I got rid of the touch-pad computer panels that kept going out and needed to be replaced. I'll take the old-fashioned knobs any day! The cost for both was a little over $800. I was ready to move on, and I'll be happy if they last for 7 or 8 years....I think that breaks down to about $8 or $9/month for both. Definitely cheaper than going to a laundromat!

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Sorry your appliance died. I never buy top of the line big appliances, right now my bare bones Whirlpool washer, dryer, refrigerator and stove is going strong at 20 years old. I was told by a repairman one time that the more technology built into the appliances the more goes wrong with them. I have a Sears Kenmore chest freezer that's 35 years old.

20 years ago appliances were still made well.  I think the complaints really started 10 lro 15 years ago. 

Respected Contributor

@Reilley wrote:

@ScenicMaine 

‘After spending lots of money on Whirlpool and Maytag, three years ago I rediscovered SpeedQueen, I love mine.

My mother for 30 years used to go to a laundrymat, and they always had Speed Queens!

They  can take a beating and keep on spinning.. 

What dryer to you have with your Speedqueen? 

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen changed it's washer design in 2018...check reviews before buying.

Respected Contributor

@Reilley wrote:

I owned a Maytag 40 years ago before they became made in foreign countries, then I bought a Whirlpool 15 years ago, by far the worst washing machine ever made. Three years ago I bought a Speed Queen commercial heavy duty washer. I absolutely love it! I can control the amount of water I use, none of the save water cra...

‘it is a bit expensive, but. It will last for years. If you can check them out. Mine has different settings. Mine is a top load.

Which one is the commercial washer.  If you go to the appliance store, is it the most expensive one?

Respected Contributor

@Reilley wrote:

@ScenicMaine 

‘After spending lots of money on Whirlpool and Maytag, three years ago I rediscovered SpeedQueen, I love mine.

My mother for 30 years used to go to a laundrymat, and they always had Speed Queens!

They  can take a beating and keep on spinning.. 

@Reilley   LOVE my Speed Queen too. Lucky for me I bought mine before the government stepped in and put regulations on their machines. Now, sad to say, they are like the rest of the machines out there. 

Trusted Contributor

Good Morning @Reilley 

I did question the sales rep. about the continuance of the top load Sp.Queen.  I thought they were going to be discontinued?

He said SQ thought of a way around that.  They're still energy efficient.  Mine has both an ECO & Autofill option.  Doesn't waste water.  I got the impression they'll be around for some time. This brand isn't cheap but the "middle" grade I have has a 5 yr. warranty also.

Trusted Contributor

@GSPgirl 

I purchased the matching dryer unit to my washer I got last year.  Dryer # is:  DR5000WE.

Valued Contributor

If we are only talking about dryers here I would stick with Whirlpool if the temperature settings are important to you.  In other words, if you need a good low heat setting that will not fry your fabrics.  Whirlpool is good with that compared to Speed Queen.  I keep hearing that SQ dryers run too hot even on their low heat setting.  Something to keep in mind.  Dryers are not a complicated machine to begin with compared to washers.  So just get a middle of the road Whirlpool and you should be fine.  But some people want to be matchy matchy I get that, but if that is not important  then mix your machinery don't get a set just because.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many washers are over $1000 dollars so your DH didn't get a bad deal. I'm using a 15 year old Whirlpool that has never required a service call. I hope your SQ serves your family well.

Edited to say I realized it was your dryer that died and I was talking washers.