Regular Contributor

My electric bill is horrible. Over $500 a month. I thinking about going solar. Worth it?  I get at least 10 companies calling me every week. LOL

Honored Contributor

Check out ALL the details in your area.    You may have to lease the equipment, and pay a surcharge to the local power company, and there are things like battery replacement, etc.    

I have a very small house, and with all the hidden "extras" in my area, I don't think it's worth it for my situation to change over to solar.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

It's definitely worth it. Our monthly electric bill went from over $350 to under $100 and we got a tax break.

Super Contributor

Brewhaha wrote: It's definitely worth it. Our monthly electric bill went from over $350 to under $100 and we got a tax break.

But what did the solar end up costing you and how long will it take to recoup your money?  My husband was casually talking to someone who works at a big solar company and he says if you are staying in your home for 20 yrs it would probably be worth it.  He also said most people don't realize that over the years, the solar panels do not work as effeciently so after the first year you lose 15%, then maybe 25% and so on.  Also, the part I don't like (besides they look ugly - just sayin) is that they only warranty your roof for a year.

Respected Contributor

My daughter lives in the NE and some years ago her state offered many incentives if you would agree to solar panels on the roof of your home.  Utility bills are quite high in the NE  so they agreed.  The panels are ugly as sin, but saves them a huge amount of money, so they are happy with it.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure your electric company can give you information on its cost effectiveness.  Give them a call.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Robin1869 wrote:

My electric bill is horrible. Over $500 a month.

faint.gif

Your house?

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at Tue, Oct 13, 2015-10.08.20 PM.pngwhistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Check out ALL the details in your area.    You may have to lease the equipment, and pay a surcharge to the local power company, and there are things like battery replacement, etc.    

I have a very small house, and with all the hidden "extras" in my area, I don't think it's worth it for my situation to change over to solar.

I was just thinking about this again........I live in AZ in an area where it only snows (lightly) about once every 5 years.     What would happen if your solar panels get covered in heavy snow, and your batteries run out?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

If you have the land, mount the panels on the ground.....easier to clean and brush the snow off....and no worries about the condition of your roof....

By the way, i think there is nothing unsightly about them...they are beautiful for the environment....

Esteemed Contributor

@Robin1869 wrote:

My electric bill is horrible. Over $500 a month. I thinking about going solar. Worth it?  I get at least 10 companies calling me every week. LOL

I am right there with you on the high electric bills  Your timing of this post is perfect.  My husband has been wanting panels for years but I always protested because I think they are unsightly.  My husband had a guy out yesterday and we are sill waiting to hear the quotes.  The guy said that the hot water tank uses about 30% of the electricity, so one option was just 1 panel and a new hot water tank.  The other option we are checking into is to heat the pool.  I am not going to pay or finance a ton of money and wait years for it to pay off.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead