Contributor

Anyone collect paperweights?

Wouldn't it be neat to feature paperweights on the Q? Never seen them offered also glass vases. There are many art glass pieces that could be offered by artist. Maybe an hour of Hand crafted glass signed or done by artist in the industry.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone collect paperweights?

@ILLINOIS GIRL   Too bad you missed the Fenton years on the Q.  I'll bet you would have really enjoyed the artisan glassware.

@ILLINOIS GIRL wrote:

Wouldn't it be neat to feature paperweights on the Q? Never seen them offered also glass vases. There are many art glass pieces that could be offered by artist. Maybe an hour of Hand crafted glass signed or done by artist in the industry.

Respected Contributor

Would LOVE beautiful paperweights and snowglobes,  but NOT cheap ones.  

Honored Contributor

I have a nice collection of art glass pieces that I used to collect from craft fairs.  All signed by the artisan.  Sadly, since collectibles see to have diminished in popularity these days, my collection will likely end up disposed of. Much as I love glass, I don't care to add any more to my collection, unless it was at a craft fair.  

Honored Contributor

The Art Institute here in Chicago has an awesome collection of paperweights.  Most times that's the first exhibit I go to!  They are also on sale in their museum shop.  Gave one to my SIL as a Christmas present one year.

I don't think people are into "collecting" stuff anymore but it is pretty.

Honored Contributor

@ILLINOIS GIRL, I became taken with them as a young girl, loved the sort of magical, miniature crystalline worlds they suggest.

When I found out that the French writer Colette collected them, that sealed it!  I think she even bequeathed some to Truman Capote, who actually met her when she was quite advanced in age...

But I never wanted a big collection-- I have 5, I think.  I like the traditional "millefiori" ones that look like they have tiny bouquets inside, but have several different designs.  One is a surprisingly modern one that was a gift.  They are sort of soothing to look at!

Honored Contributor

My Mom did and now I have her collection.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do.  I collected for awhile, and still enjoy looking at them.  They are beautiful.

Valued Contributor

Perfect timing!  I have a beautiful collection of blown glass paperweights.  My DH's BFF from highschool is the artist.  He is here this weekend for a local art show..  

Honored Contributor