Super Contributor

Re: Anyone collect paperweights?

I used to have some paperweights laying around in the old days.  Not a collector per se but I did like them then.  I don't see them around much anymore.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a beautiful Caithness paperweight on the writing desk in my bedroom.  I've probably had it for 15 - 20 years.  People who see it always comment on it.  I used to have a few more, but don't have them out anymore.  I do like them though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I have a beautiful Caithness paperweight on the writing desk in my bedroom.  I've probably had it for 15 - 20 years.  People who see it always comment on it.  I used to have a few more, but don't have them out anymore.  I do like them though.

Having a writing desk in my bedroom is something I always wanted.   I had one when I was a kid living at home.    Unfortunately both of the homes that we have owned never had large enough master bedrooms in which to place a desk. 

I think it's so elegant to have a small writing desk in the corner of a bedroom.  It reminds me of the well appointed bedrooms that I have seen in European homes.  

I'm envious. Lol!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ILLINOIS GIRL   We do!  We love paperweights, the ways these are created is mind boggling to me. The swirls of glass, the colors used, the patterns, and then there are those that have things inside. We have a larger one with tiny frogs inside, not even sure where this one came from.

We used to vacation in Barbados many years ago for 20 years in a row at least. We'd always spend a day or two in Bridgetown the capital and go duty free shopping - Caithness paperweights for us and Belleek china for my mother. Duty free = 'dirt cheap' prices - it was amazing then, not to mention designs we'd never find anywhere back home. Now that mom is gone we do have almost every piece of Belleek we ever bought for her, my sister has a couple of pieces too.

Let me also say, eons ago when shophq was called something else, they used to sell gorgeous glass items similar to hand blown paperweights. They had hand blown very old fashioned perfume bottles with stoppers. I still have a heart shaped, clear glass with a 2tone pink/red heart inside.

I LOVE items like these. We'll go to weekend upscale craft and arts shows here and seek out new paperweights to add to our collection.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t have any paperweights, but I do appreciate handcrafted items and antiques.  It would be wonderful if QVC could offer some unique decorative items, some of them representative of various countries.  I do enjoy the Irish shows and have bought from them, but there are so many more opportunities out there.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

The Art Institute here in Chicago has an awesome collection of paperweights.  Most times that's the first exhibit I go to!  They are also on sale in their museum shop.  Gave one to my SIL as a Christmas present one year.

I don't think people are into "collecting" stuff anymore but it is pretty.

@kaydee50 @I need to go.  We live in the northern burbs.   Thanks for reminding me.  

I don’t want a huge collection but would like to add another beautiful piece or two.   

Honored Contributor

A long time ago my then husband bought me a Swarovski crystal paperweight. It looks like a pyramid with facets all over it and it sparkles like nothing I've ever seen. Just beautiful! 

Super Contributor

i used to collect paperweights for a while. then i got tired of displaying them and sold the collection. i think it's an excellent idea for the Q to sell them. i'd love one from Ireland. 

Honored Contributor

@ILLINOIS GIRL wrote:

Wouldn't it be neat to feature paperweights on the Q? Never seen them offered also glass vases. There are many art glass pieces that could be offered by artist. Maybe an hour of Hand crafted glass signed or done by artist in the industry.

I think there was somewhat more of a tendency to do this kind o thing during the earlier q years, @ILLINOIS GIRL. Seems like a refreshing idea to me.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette ..... I'm also a craft fair person.  I have some nice pieces of glass from fairs, and also a few very special pieces from galleries.   Even when I purchase from a gallery, usually meet the artist.  Art is my downfall, and fine craft fairs are like a drug fix for me.  LOL