Respected Contributor

Anyone Ever Rent A Carpet Steamer??

Just wondering if they are "idiot proof" and easy to use?? Effective?

I have 20 year old burber carpeting that is getting replaced within this year, but I'm just wanting to clean it. It may seem like a waste by now, that's why I thought of renting a cleaner at my local hardware store. I used to get it professionally steam cleaned when it was new, about every other year...it came nice. But haven't done it for a while now.

Was about to get new flooring when Covid hit. Now I have to start over shopping and prices have soared, deliveries are poor etc. So if this takes a while I just feel I may want to clean this carpet one more time.

So any feedback on home rental steam cleaners, I'd appreciate. Tks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Rent A Carpet Steamer??

Years ago I rented a carpet cleaning machine from my local grocery store.  That thing was heavy and not so easy for me to use.  It was a one and done for me.  Never did that again.  Found a very reasonable carpet cleaner guy after that who did a much better job than I did.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Years ago I rented a carpet cleaning machine from my local grocery store.  That thing was heavy and not so easy for me to use.  It was a one and done for me.  Never did that again.  Found a very reasonable carpet cleaner guy after that who did a much better job than I did.

I know! My old guy used to do the whole bottom floor for about $200.00. But...last time I did it was about 10 yrs ago, ashamed to say. Probably a lot more now. I should just get a price.

I'm not usually "Miss Do-It-Yourself"...so I have a feeling I'll feel like you..and I'm only 5'2"...up 20 stairs to this 2nd floor condo too...lol...I think I just talked myself out of this! Haha. 

Honored Contributor

@amyb   I would save my time and effort and go shopping.

In July, I replaced the floors in my whole condo - like you, I had first shopped just before everything closed down last year.  This year, when I tried again, I found a flooring I liked better than my previous choice and the price had not risen as much as I feared it might.   The company sourced everything they needed, had their own team to install, and finished the job even sooner than either the saleswoman or I expected.

Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I know! My old guy used to do the whole bottom floor for about $200.00. But...last time I did it was about 10 yrs ago, ashamed to say. Probably a lot more now. I should just get a price.

I'm not usually "Miss Do-It-Yourself"...so I have a feeling I'll feel like you..and I'm only 5'2"...up 20 stairs to this 2nd floor condo too...lol...I think I just talked myself out of this! Haha. 

My guy charged $70.  Yes, $70.  I had a 1500 square foot ranch and half the house was carpet (hallway and 3 bedrooms) and half was hardwood flooring.  I know live in a much larger home.  When I first moved into this house, I looked into carpet cleaning for the 2nd floor (bedrooms and bathrooms).  It's approximately 800 sqaure feet, maybe a little more.  $300.  And that's with a coupon.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops Wel,l that's encouraging to know! May I ask what area you are in?

In CT, everything is up so much and new construction is having a boom.

Another job I just had priced, which my neighbor did I think right before shutdown, by the same company, exact same unit (split heating system), quote came in about $1500 more. Needless to say I'm getting another quote.

But I hope floors do go better than what I'm expecting. Did you do wood?

I'm still wanting wood but lots of people are recommending vinyl...I'm being told by my contracter that even the million dollar homes he's doing are putting it in. I'm still resisting...but said I'd look at it when I go flooring shopping..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to rent carpet steamers but they are so heavy and after being rented by so many people not in the best of shape.  I would rather hire someone now. 

Regarding installing vinyl, I put luxury vinyl plank in my dining room and kitchen. It looks just like wood (and has fooled many) and I really like it but I don’t think I would use it in my whole house.  It can dent from heavy furniture and nick if you accidentally drop something with a sharp edge.   

Esteemed Contributor

I am Ms. DIY and have rented them in the past but no longer do. Now, I'll use a professional service with truck mounted equipment so all they bring into your home is the nozzle and hose.

Rental equipment is heavy and not always very clean.

You can also get your own scrubber. Ebay has a 15% off coupon on mfg refurbished thru the weekend.

Keep in mind you have to get your furniture out of the way and into another room, porch or patio.

Regular Contributor

I rented the Rug Doctor machine once from the grocery store.  It's a square looking unit.  It is unbelievably heavy and I can't imagine how you would be able to get it up 20 steps on your own to the second floor.  My arms were sore for a week after using it to clean three rooms of carpeting.  That said, it did an amazing job cleaning the carpet.  It pulled up stains that were years old and my home unit had missed - cleaned them and they were gone!

Honored Contributor

Yes--it was awful and expensive and hard to handle---will never rent again--will have a professional come do the work.