Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Build a Cabin???

My preference would be a cottage near a lake rather than a cabin in the woods.  The floor plan @KCFoxy provided would make me very happy.  I'd give up the tub off the master bedroom in favor of a full size washer/dryer.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG the value of this floorplan posted is that several changeable features.

Office could easily be a bunk bedroom, using Utilities closet for clothing and point of use (under sink) water heaters. No furance needed as the stove/fireplace is double-sided, open to both dining and living areas.  Remove office door creating a full sized laundry closet in hallway and have pocket door into office/bonus room from family room instead. Smiley Wink

BTW: In later versions I've added a slider from Dining area onto back porch, (could also be a deck for entertaining). And a full farmer's covered porch for entry way elevation. A mainifold along with water heater in utilties closet for in-floor heating option as well.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928, I had a cottage while I was working.  No phone on purpose.  It was the only place I could really get away from work.  It was 4.5 hours away.  I had my brother build it on property (25acres) we owned.  I loved that place but it was just too far away ... could never go for a short weekend  because of the drive.

We sold it without any trouble.

We built our home on a lake to make our home our cottage.  We love it here.  We own 23 acres 4 hours away.  Gorgeous especially this time of year.  I am tempted to do an RV there but I worry about vandalism.  Still thinking about it.  I think we would do late summer and fall there with the odd weekend.  

Then in my sensible side kicks in and says...noooo!  Anyway, I sit on the fence...

Good of luck with your choice! LM

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

Thank you for all of your responses!  So many good points, and I appreciate them all! 

This would be a second place for us, not our primary residence.  I have been researching land about an hour away and it's so darn expensive, then there's the building costs to keep in mind.  I don't know why, but Tennessee keeps calling my name.  Maybe it's the mountains, or maybe it's the fact that you can get a lot for your money.  The problem is the time it would take me to get there.  An 8 1/2 hour drive one way would get old really quick.  But wow, I found a place (in TN) on 38 acres (yes, 38) on a lake surrounded by woods.  It's gorgeous ~ from what I can tell it's what I'm looking for but again, the drive time.

I'm not in any hurry so I definitely want to take all your points into consideration and take my time finding the right land and/or ready to move into cabin.  I think it might be a long journey for us...  :-)

@Julie928  If you would be spending a week at a time, the drive time wouldn't be bad, but just for a weekend, it would be two days of driving each way.  

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

Thank you for all of your responses!  So many good points, and I appreciate them all! 

This would be a second place for us, not our primary residence.  I have been researching land about an hour away and it's so darn expensive, then there's the building costs to keep in mind.  I don't know why, but Tennessee keeps calling my name.  Maybe it's the mountains, or maybe it's the fact that you can get a lot for your money.  The problem is the time it would take me to get there.  An 8 1/2 hour drive one way would get old really quick.  But wow, I found a place (in TN) on 38 acres (yes, 38) on a lake surrounded by woods.  It's gorgeous ~ from what I can tell it's what I'm looking for but again, the drive time.

I'm not in any hurry so I definitely want to take all your points into consideration and take my time finding the right land and/or ready to move into cabin.  I think it might be a long journey for us...  :-)

Hi @Julie928 38 acres sounds amazing!  How often do you think you'd get there during the year?  (Long drive!)

Trusted Contributor

@Mj12 & @mousiegirl ~ The impulsive, silly side of me thinks I would spend two weeks there, then two weeks here.  I would take one of our dogs along and off I'd go.  Other than money (lol) here is what is stopping me.  What if something were to go wrong at the cabin and I'm 8 1/2 hours away?  How would the rest of our critters fare here at home without me?  (Although my husband, the city boy, would stay here.)  Would I be safe staying in a cabin on all that land by myself?  What if there were weirdos in the woods???  I know, I know.  Some things in life you just have to go for ~ stop worrying about what might happen and just be positive.  This is something I haven't been able to stop thinking about.  It definitely requires some thought and planning.  Fingers crossed...  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@Mj12 & @mousiegirl ~ The impulsive, silly side of me thinks I would spend two weeks there, then two weeks here.  I would take one of our dogs along and off I'd go.  Other than money (lol) here is what is stopping me.  What if something were to go wrong at the cabin and I'm 8 1/2 hours away?  How would the rest of our critters fare here at home without me?  (Although my husband, the city boy, would stay here.)  Would I be safe staying in a cabin on all that land by myself?  What if there were weirdos in the woods???  I know, I know.  Some things in life you just have to go for ~ stop worrying about what might happen and just be positive.  This is something I haven't been able to stop thinking about.  It definitely requires some thought and planning.  Fingers crossed...  :-)

@Julie928  and learn how to shoot a shotgun, lol.  Probably lots of wild critters, fine with me except when one considers bears, etc. Smiley Happy

We are considering moving when DH retires.  I would love a place with land, only a little over an acre where we live now, but the house would have to be just as large or larger in order to store all of my decor, LOL, and it would have to be close enough to my doctors as I really don't want to change, so in order to get what I want in this state, I would have to move hours and hours aways, lots to think and worry about. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl ~ Oh, the bears!  I didn't even think about that!  I was more focused on the weirdos in the woods!!!  (Can you tell I grew up in Chicago)?  The only bears I ever even thought of is the football team!

I read a book by Sally Roth, 'Living 100 Years Ago Today.'  Great book about her moving to the Colorado mountains from Indiana with her new husband, totally off the grid.  She tells of a time before they were married.  They were emailing back and forth and her now husband told her about coming home from town to find a bear had ripped the door off and helped himself to all the butter!  Lucky for me we don't keep butter in the house!  ;-)

Honored Contributor

We are part owner of a cabin near Ricketts Glenn. It isn't a log cabin. It was built about 60 years ago. I am not sure who built it but it is sturdy. There is a large fireplace in the living room made of river rock from the stream across the street. Once the fireplace get going the rock keeps the cabin warm. 

They just had to have a water pump replaced. And fortunately their road is maintained by the County. So they get mail delivery and roads plowed. Water isn't a problem there is a large stream across the street.But a nasty storm went through about 5 years ago and reconfigured the stream. Their cabin is about 10 feet above the road and the road is about 10 feet above the stream so it didn't affect them.

There is a mountain behind the cabin so there is no cell phone reception. There are lots of critters. Especially bears. The bears like the trash and despite building bear proof trash can containers, they haven't found one that will keep out the bears.

One thing to consider - since it is a part time house. Make sure you get a reliable person to mow the grass, pick up the trash and keep an eye on the place. My husband had a tough time getting insurance on the place.

And have fun.