Respected Contributor

Re: Another kitchen cupboard question

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  I don't know if this will help in your decision but this neutral color chart for kitchen cabinets is considered one of the best in colors for neutral painted kitchen cabinets.   Also, I do think Sherwin Williams has what is called the 'Visualizer' wherein you can upload a picture of your cabinets and see what they would look like in various colors.  29bcf2fec6bd81651a17ac4e2dda1c7b.jpg

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Valued Contributor

PROPERLY sealed and painted wood in a kitchen or bath will only chip if you basically throw a knife at it. HA I guess my point is that there are processes and certain kinds of paints and seal-coats that if done in a properly controlled environment (i.e. professionals) are actually STRONGER and more durable to stains, chips, etc. than regular wood! Or have your wood cabinets properly sealed (most older homes don't have this or the stain is 30-50 years old) This is firsthand knowledge when I renovated my kitchen about 3 years ago. So maybe I know a thing or 2! 🤣 Wiping my cabinet doors w a wet towel actually gets beads of water like on a car, it's pretty sealed and waterproof much as can be!! I think it was a 4 or 5 stage process if I remember from the cabinet maker. All of my cabinets were custom made to size from scratch. I have solid wood that's painted (and sealed) white.

Is anything chip or stain proof forever? No, but properly sealed paint or wood will last a long time!

For the OP, my personal suggestion is maybe a lighter stain wood on the top cabinets and maybe darker stain or paint on the lower cabinets based on what you've stated so far and your preferences. Ultimately it's your decision and hopefully everyone's opinions and suggestions you asked for lead you in a direction to your final choice! Good luck!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella   Thanks for that visual....such pretty colors.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella  Love the colors. Everything looks so fresh and stylish. 

Honored Contributor

I was on the Sherwin Williams website, TRYING to use the feature where you can give your project a color...either I am not real bright or it is difficult to navigate!...I did see where I can get a free design consultation!

I signed up and next week I will have a virtual meeting with one of their designers...we will see how that goes...right now I am leaning toward not painting....after I had been wishing I could paint them for years...be careful what you wish for, ha!

I don't think I have had this much trouble trying to make decision in a very long time.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I just had my master bath & bedroom painted and my contractor thought I was a bit crazy with all of the samples I got!....I ended up with fifteen!  Too bad you don't live nearby and I would give them to you to check! Smiley Happy

If you do get sample paints, number the jars then the sample on the wall.....it's easier to keep track of the colors that way.

I went to Home Depot using SW paint chips.....Sherwin Williams doesn't have small sample sizes of paint jars but you can get them at Home Depot using any color from any company. 

I can't remember the cost but they were reasonable and a good size.  I painted a sample on all walls to see how they looked in the light at different times of day.  It's much more cost effective than the peel & stick paint samples that SW has. (which BTW, only offers them in their most popular colors).

I was also going for a light neutral.  I checked out different popular grays, taupes & beiges.  I ended up with a Benjamin Moore color that is more of a greige.  Keep in mind that many of these neutrals have different undertones.  Some are cool and some warm. 

One that I was leaning towards had a lavender undertone which I only saw once I painted a swatch on the wall.  The one that I ended up going with had a soft green undertone but was still a greige color.  I love how it looks and it's very fresh!

Once you decide on a few colors before narrowing it down, you can check out videos on YouTube.  There are several color experts on YouTube that I found to be very helpful.  One in particular is Kylie M Interiors who specializes in SW paint colors.

Honored Contributor

Wow 15 samples, that is a lot!  You knew what you were looking for, and it sounds like your effort paid off..you got the color you wanted.  

I have purchased the small containers of paint and Menards, they will mix any color and are not expensive.

I noticed the other day the the samples at Sherwin Williams doubled in price.  I have purchased from both stores.

I don't want to paint my cupboards with sample colors, although it is a good idea,  I might end up leaving the stain and having them 'refrished'.

I like the idea of the sticky back samples, but they do get expensive.

I mentioned up thread that I have a consult with a Sherwin Williams decorator...free of charge and it is a 30 minute consult...hopefully that will help me decide which way to go....what was to be fun...is feeling stressful.

Honored Contributor

Gray feels cold.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Wow 15 samples, that is a lot!  You knew what you were looking for, and it sounds like your effort paid off..you got the color you wanted.  

I have purchased the small containers of paint and Menards, they will mix any color and are not expensive.

I noticed the other day the the samples at Sherwin Williams doubled in price.  I have purchased from both stores.

I don't want to paint my cupboards with sample colors, although it is a good idea,  I might end up leaving the stain and having them 'refrished'.

I like the idea of the sticky back samples, but they do get expensive.

I mentioned up thread that I have a consult with a Sherwin Williams decorator...free of charge and it is a 30 minute consult...hopefully that will help me decide which way to go....what was to be fun...is feeling stressful.

@Mom2Dogs What I also did was purchase a white board and paint the swatches on it as well since the color didn't always look so good over my already painted walls. It might not look good on your cabinets either because of the color in the background....it can fight with the background color when you just want to see how it will look in your room. 

I also understand not wanting to mark them up until they are ready to be painted.

Yes, it was a lot of going back & forth to get more & more samples but I finally got the color that makes me happy!  Good luck!

ETA: I agree about all of this being very stressful!  I had a contractor & his assistant come everyday for six weeks at 7:30 am.  I'm very happy with the outcome but I was second guessing myself a lot!  You just don't want to make an expensive mistake!

As it is I'm still waiting for the glass guy to let me know when he will be installing the shower wall & door.  I'm also waiting on a new mattress and have been sleeping in my DD's room...it has been a bit uncomfortable but it will be worth it when it is all past.

I'm sure things will look great once you decide and work on it!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I know you're tired of paint,  but the topic about the California houses has beautiful finished with the tones you are talking about.  There's a wooden door washed with gray that is beautiful.  Also some gray cabinets that look more like a milk paint finish!

Anyway Oznell posted them--lovely things!