Respected Contributor

Re: Another Request for Advice: In-Ground Pool

@violann wrote:

For several reasons, we are considerig a SMALL backyard pool for use by a few children and a few adults.

If you have a pool, what size is it?

Do you consider it a big pool or a small pool?

What size do you cnsider right for you?

Thanks so much for your time!

@violann - I had an 18' round, 54" deep above ground pool for 12 years.  It was big enough for a few grandkids to spash around and play games like Marco Polo, and a couple of adults to cool off around the sides talking and watching the kids.

Last summer, I replaced that pool with a Kayak on-ground pool.  This Kayak is a big pool, 16x24 ft rectangular, 3.5' on one end, 5.5' deep on the other.  It's got 2 ft deck on three sides and an 8 ft deck on one end.  It's heaven.  I've had all 9 grandkids and 4 or 5 adults all in that pool having a good time swimming and floating and didn't feel crowded in at all.  It was a big investment though.  Worth it to me and my family as we get a ton of use out of it

Valued Contributor

Buck-I- Nana,

WOW!!!  I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens.  When I got married, my dear late husband built our house on the Great South Bay of Long Island in a teeny, tiny beach town called Blue Point.  We're between Patchogue and Sayville.  My husband was originally from here in Ohio but when he finished his Ph.D. at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, he headed for New York where I met him in graduate school.  He was my professor at St. John's in Queens.  That was one class I NEVER cut.  We were married a year later.  I miss him terribly but will stay here to be near his grave.

About the house with the pool, after all the great advice I was given, I decided not to purchase it because it doesn't have a dining room which I want. 

It sure is a small world.   docsgirl 

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl...if I can ask, do you live near where the convention is being held?

If so I think you probably made a good decision about the house with the pool. I live several hours the other direction and like I said earlier some summers were to cool to use the pool a lot and as I recall it always helped to have kids in the pool to keep it stirrred up.

If you really like the house, you could consider having it filled in.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@docsgirl...if I can ask, do you live near where the convention is being held?

If so I think you probably made a good decision about the house with the pool. I live several hours the other direction and like I said earlier some summers were to cool to use the pool a lot and as I recall it always helped to have kids in the pool to keep it stirrred up.

If you really like the house, you could consider having it filled in.

HI Mom,

I live about an hour south of Cleveland.  My best friend's son is a police officer covering the convention and he said 'so far, so good,' but she still worries about him. He has a police dog.

The reason I decided not to purchase the house with the pool is not because of the pool but because it doesn't have a dining room, which I need and want.  It has a small dining area where you can put a tiny round table but that's it.  I have a lovely dining room set and want to have a dedicated dining room.  Thanks for caring.  docsgirl