Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Request for Advice: In-Ground Pool

[ Edited ]

We live in Arizona where pools are the norm. We had a pool in our back yard until 5 years ago when we filled it in. It was nothing but a pain to keep up. It always needed a fortune in chemicals, water and maintenance.  Yes you can hire that out but that's another expense. And don't get me started on the electric bills. We had it filled in because it needed about $8000.00 in maintenance and we decided it was cheaper to fill it in. Despite living where it's hot we never used it. By filling it in our electric bills dropped $200 a month plus all the chemicals and water it saved. I would seriously consider buying a house with a pool. They are nice for a few years then the constant maintenance kicks in and it's always something. First you need to fix the plaster, then the tile needs grouting and to be de scaled, the cool-deck needs refinishing, then you need to replace the pool pump, then the filter, all of which are expensive. Here there is no such thing as opening and closing a pool it's 24/7 and our homeowners policy did not change once we got rid of it.

Based on prices 5 years ago and my memory:

large bucket of chlorine $150

new pool pump $1000 plus or minus

new cool deck $2500 and up

new plaster $5000 and up

replacing sand filter minimum $1000

clarifier and all the other chemicals $100 /month

electric to run cleaning system $200/month

replace cleaning system: few hundred to thousands

your time: priceless

Respected Contributor

On another thread, someone posted a wonderful website with terrific info on pools and pool maintenance.  It's troublefreepool dot com.  They provide thorough info on how to maintain a pool as well as info on cost effective products.  It's worth a look.

If you like to swim or relax on a float, having your own pool is heaven.  If you're not much for water fun, then it's going to be a burden and money wasted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have your realtor request the utility bills for the last year.  I remember getting that request when I owned an all electronic condo.

Also,see if the pool company can come out and inspect the pool. 

Honored Contributor

I DIDN'T buy a wonderful house once because it had a pool.  I didn't want the hassle of maintaining it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't affect you insurance cost also.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I also live in Arizona.  When we had a pool, we definately had a pool service.  We never wanted the chemicals around the house.  Plus it was much easier ....the chemicals were expensive, hard to keep the right ph balance, didn't want the chemicals around because they were poison, etc.  The prices are different every part of the country.  Here we paid $42 per month. 

I wound not turn down a house just because of a pool.  We really enjoyed our pool.  We have summer 9 months of the year. 

But you, like the others have stated, have to weigh the pros and cons. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you again for more food for thought.  I will definitely ask for all bills for the house...summer and winter.  The thing is that I like the house.  The pool just happens to come with it. Soooooooooooo do I turn down a house I really like and would be a perfect fit for me just because it has a pool???  I'll have to do more investigating as to the cost to run and maintain it and then make a decision.  Thanks again.   docsgirl

Buck-I-Nana,

I'm a Buckeye but am a transplant from New York.  Living here sure is different but I'm getting used to it and am here to stay.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I DIDN'T buy a wonderful house once because it had a pool.  I didn't want the hassle of maintaining it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't affect you insurance cost also.

Same here.  When I was in the market, any house with a pool was automatically disqualified.  I didn't want the expense and hassle.  I think it's like that for a lot of people - depending on the area, no doubt.

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

Thank you all so much for the information and advice.  I really like the house; the pool just happens to come with it.  I live in Northeast Ohio and our winters are long and brutal while summer isn't that long.  I was not, nor would I ever be in search of a house with a pool but I like this house.

That pool in Florida is absolutely stunning but the one in this house is a lot smaller and nowhere near as elegant.  I was born and raised in New York City but when I got married my dear late husband built our house on the Great South Bay of Long Island.  We overlooked Fire Island.  Some of our neighbors, who had oodles of $$$$, had built in pools for when they didn't feel like going into the bay to swim or just wanted privacy.  Although my husband was a school superintendent and made decent money, we surely couldn't match wallets with some of those people.Cat Happy  We were content with our lifestyle and were very active in our community.  So sorry for rambling off topic.

You all have given excellent advice and I will call some pool maintenance companies and see what they have to say.  Thanks so very much.     docsgirl

@docsgirl....I live in the midwest, Ohio. We had a large pool (above ground) and there were several cool summers when we barely used the pool. DH took care of our pool cleaning, etc.  It does get expensive..we evenutally sold it and returned the area to grass.  I would only keep the pool if you thought you would use it a lot.

Honored Contributor

For several reasons, we are considerig a SMALL backyard pool for use by a few children and a few adults.

If you have a pool, what size is it?

Do you consider it a big pool or a small pool?

What size do you cnsider right for you?

Thanks so much for your time!

Respected Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

Thank you again for more food for thought.  I will definitely ask for all bills for the house...summer and winter.  The thing is that I like the house.  The pool just happens to come with it. Soooooooooooo do I turn down a house I really like and would be a perfect fit for me just because it has a pool???  I'll have to do more investigating as to the cost to run and maintain it and then make a decision.  Thanks again.   docsgirl

Buck-I-Nana,

I'm a Buckeye but am a transplant from New York.  Living here sure is different but I'm getting used to it and am here to stay.

@docsgirl - funny....I'm a transplanted New Yorker too.  Born and raised on Long Island.  Moved to Ohio in 75.