Respected Contributor

Another Product with Cancer Warning!

Was picking up some spot and stain remover spray yesterday and I am a label reader. So this Grandmas Stain Remover  ( you would think you could trust it lol)  Has a Cancer Warning on it!! So no did not buy this brand!! What is up with all the products and all the things like yoga mats and stuff with this warning?? Is there not a way things can be made without the cancer ingredients??

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Product with Cancer Warning!

Sadly apparently not. Some 'ingredient' everywhere shows up in everything including even medical marijuana which is extremely sad.

Honored Contributor

LIke everything else, I take these warnings seriously, but also with my own personal attitude.  So -  the first thing I want to know is what agency has determined the product is possibly cancer-causing.  Then, assuming it's a trustworthy source, now I want to know the odds -  how many cases of cancer per use and how much use caused the cancer.  Finally, I'll want to know my alternatives.

Only after all that can I decide for myself what I think the rsks are and whether I'm willing to take those risks.

Respected Contributor

You may want to do your own research as to what ingredients/materials/additives that are really cause for concern or alarm or you may be moving to a farm growing all your own food and making all your own textiles.

Most products are going to start carrying the "may cause cancer" label because it is cheaper and easier for the manufactures.

The problem is simple- if the product does not carry a warning label and 8 yrs down the road someone claims their cancer was caused by said product the manufacture can be sued.   Now you put the warning label out there and the customer is now using at their own risk.

It is the same with food.  It is easier and less liable to say may contain gluten than to say Gluten free. One can get you sued the other is simply a warning.   

That's the way the world works now a days.......

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear  I think it is a legal protection, as someone else indicated, to cover the manufacturer's liability from lawsuits.

Esteemed Contributor

Today is laundry day.  If I spray myself with spray and lay down on my yoga mat should I get a settlement?  Can only hope.

Valued Contributor

I have another one to add to the ridiculous pile. Yesterday at Home Depot I bought a replacement button insert for the handle of my bathroom sink faucet. It's just a little plastic disk that costs $3.00 and they're pretty flimsy, so I have replaced them several times.  The one I bought yesterday is the first one that had the State of California cancer warning it.  I guess I better wear gloves when I turn the water on and off.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@FlowerBear  I think it is a legal protection, as someone else indicated, to cover the manufacturer's liability from lawsuits.

I agree!  Who knew that Big Tobacco or Johnson and Johnson could be found liable for causing cancer in products they already knew could.  California is the state leading the labeling thing.  It is for anything that is distributed in California, so manufacturers put it on all the products.  

If you really want to look up the product, I'm sure the manufacturer may have more specifics as to which ingredient can cause cancer or the FDA would.  The CDC may be another place to check.

Occasional Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

LIke everything else, I take these warnings seriously, but also with my own personal attitude.  So -  the first thing I want to know is what agency has determined the product is possibly cancer-causing.  Then, assuming it's a trustworthy source, now I want to know the odds -  how many cases of cancer per use and how much use caused the cancer.  Finally, I'll want to know my alternatives.

Only after all that can I decide for myself what I think the rsks are and whether I'm willing to take those risks.

You are smart to go about it in your way.  One of the bits of advice that I got from my mother, repeatedly, was CONSIDER THE SOURCE.  Some agencies can have their own agendas in mind, and those agencies themselves and/or those agendas can be nefarious.

While I think, as many do, that cancer is serious business, and I’d like to know why any product  would carry cancer-causing ingredients, I look behind the warning itself.   

(Also, as a CA born, I will say, the state sure has changed, and not for the better.  A lot of regulations,  here and elsewhere,  are misguided.)

Honored Contributor

I saw a tv segment recently about how many bad ingredients are in makeup. Lead in lipstick, metal in eye shadow, etc. 61% off all lipstick tested positive for it. Heavy metals are not listed in the product ingredients because they are not ingredients. They are containments.