Respected Contributor

Re: @Annabellethecat (Homedecor1) beds😉

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1..After doing more research , Several testimonials on the sleep number bed, said they were not told at the time of purchase, that the base is not returnable. So if you try the bed and don’t like it, you can return the mattress but you will be stuck with the base that is several hundred dollars, and the mattress will cost you about $170. to return. Hmmm. That’s risky business when the bed will run 5,6,or 7 thousand, and the bedding a couple hundred if you get the split top mattress. 😳

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

So, you can flip the pillow top and you don’t need to flip the mattress then? That would be nice. Would you please share the brand/type of topper you like?

@ECBG@geezerette

ECGB That is a great idea, get a mattress specifically made for you.

The foam stuff just does not work for me in any form.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

We originally had a Sealy Posturpedic (approx20years).  Bought a serta piece of ******.  Told the salesman I wanted FIRM. 2nd night I had to put a pillow under my tush to hold it up.  Went back to JCP, everything guaranteed, and told them. TOO,TOO BAD. 

The floor is a better fit for me!!!  My personal choice is no pillowtop. People say it is firm BUT that pillowtop is saggy!!!  We have boards under my side of the bed and it is still saggy. 

Really shop around until you find the PERFECT fit.----------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I thought I wanted a memory foam bed but it didn't work out, so exchanged it for a Beautyrest coil.  

One thing I found out by trial and error is that if you sit up in bed to read or watch tv or whatever, make sure you do that at the mattress store.  Don't just lie down on the mattress.

I realized I need a mattress that doesn't put the "sitting" me into a depression so that all my reading material, or remote controls, and such fall into and bump into me when I thought I'd placed them far enough away so they should have stayed put.  Hope that makes sense.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I thought (adjusting) was what the top of the line the sleep number beds did.  I don't know where in the hay I got this amount (with me....who knows) but for a long time I'd say (my poor daughters), "I'm getting me that sleep number bed that does everything and it's $10,000!!"

I don't know where I got that number but I believed it!  It is crazy what it takes to try to find a good bed!  Good grief!  I'm so paranoid about buying one.

When I bought a new car I told my son-in-law what I wanted (I didn't even drive the actual car until I'd paid for the thing) and he went on line and argued (on line mind you) about the price.  Then we went into the dealership, I paid cash for the car and that was it....finished....the end and I love the thing!

Now, I've been complaining and moaning over this mattress purchase to the point I know friends and family (and probably all of you are like, 'Annabelle, just shut up'!  Ha!

What to do?  What to do?  OK, so I told you guys how I flipped the Queen size pillow top mattress a few weeks ago (maybe what, 2 weeks ago) and already I can tell the pit is getting there.  I feel like a freaking turtle trying to get out of the bed.  I have to plan bathroom trips because it takes time to get out of the hole!  Ha!  I've actually slid onto the floor (it's also a bit high).

I couldn't even turn on the TV on QVC yesterday because they were constantly showing the mattress.  Once I saw the mattress guy with Rick flip a pillow top SINGLE BED!  He was talking about how easy it was!  Sure, a single bed, I guess so and it was 2 people doing it.

I'm pretty strong for my age and I just don't give in to the back pain, but it's very, very difficult to turn it (this pillow top cannot be flipped).

I'm so torn.  Part of me (and friends have said, "You are so big on QVC why not order a sleep number bed from there").  But there again when I went to read about it people complained about various problems.  

Like I said, I'm not obese but I am a chunky monkey (overweight), so I will put some weight on the thing.  I know the one I want doesn't have a crease down it because it's just me.  I know I want one that raises and lowers every way.  I have the money to pay for the thing but I'm not a fool and don't want to throw money at something that I'm going to regret.

My daughters keep saying, "Just buy the best sleep number bed and if you don't like it, get another kind of bed".  Good grief!  They certainly aren't cheap and only a fool will just throw away money, right?  Then I'd be right back to where I am now.

Oh!  Good grief!  Now I'm worked up!  Ha!  I heard Mary Beth say she had the kind of sleep number bed that I want to get except her's has the two sleep person thing.  She SAID she loves it.  

It seems like a gamble as to whether you'll get a stinking one?  What do you guys thing?  Maybe the next time they have the top of the line sleep number bed on QVC I'll buy the thing.  What do you guys think?

The good thing about QVC is they say they give you 100 days and if you aren't happy you can send it back.  What the hay?  I've been spending so many days trying to find boxes to send back boots I got from QVC and I am having trouble finding boxes that those stupid boot boxes will fit in!

How would I be able to fit back into the box a whole bed.  The parts to it are very large.

What to do?  What to do?  I wonder when QVC is going to have the sleep number beds on their show?  Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 That sounds a little (just a little) like the mattress I'd mentioned earlier like my middle daughter has (foam rubber).  But her entire mattress is foam rubber.

I remember she'd paid a lot of money for the thing.  I used to babysit for her and I've laid down on the bed and sunk into the bed and thought, "I'd burn up in this bed because I sunk so far down no air could get around me."

I'd really be like a turtle if I bought one of those foam rubber beds.

Come to think of it I do remember several years back....again...QVC when there was a lady (a chiropractor) and she was selling this foam that had segments all over it about the size of a small brick.  The sales pitch was that it would move with the body.  This was right after my husband died and by then I was ready to for some kind of new bed.  I bought the thing and it was so hot I had to give it away.

I think the entire country has sleep issues.  I know a lot of people around my age who end up sleeping in the lounge chairs during the night.  At least I don't do that.....yet!

I do wake up in the middle of the night (around 4:00AM) because my back goes into muscle spasms and it wakes me up!  I get up, get some water, dance around the 2 cats who want to eat and fall back into bed until around 7:00AM.

Most of the people (usually in their late 40's, 50's and so on at some time have trouble sleeping).  I'm beginning to think one reason so many American's are so angry and crabby so often is due to lack of sleep!  Ha!

Off topic but similar!  I always say I am convinced many people are so angry all of the time isn't politics but because they're constipated from eating so much cheese!  Hey!  Don't laugh!  Every place I get a hamburger or anything....the first  words spoken by the waitress is "DO YOU WANT CHEESE WITH THAT"?  

I'm like, "No cheese".  They're like, "Did you say, 'No cheese'.....'Yes!  I said....No cheese!".  Even then I'll sometimes have cheese all over the salad or hamburger...cheese....cheese.  It's not like I hate cheese but not that often!  I'm convinced I'm the only person in America who does not like macaroni and cheese!  Never had it and never intend to eat it.  David Veneble eats enough for everyone....Ha!

Phew!  Now I'm riled up!  I'll have to call my Denver daughter and look at my fur grandbaby (dog) to calm my fanny down!  I'll bet she'll say, "Mom!  Have you been talking about cheese or getting a new bed?  Now calm down".  Ha!

Love you guys!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette When you posted you'd like to have your 'old' mattress back, you hit a spot with me.

I was just thinking this morning I wish I had the mattress I had when my husband died.  It was a king size mattress and was very old.

I remember that when we bought it it was like sleeping on a brick, it was so hard.....really hard...

I remember my husband saying, "I read that it's not good for your kidneys to sleep on a hard mattress".  I said, "Well the amount of money we paid for this HARD mattress is going to be good enough, I'm not buying another one".  So we must have had that mattress for a very, very long time.  I remember after he died I saw the receipt somewhere.  We paid close to $1,000 for the thing!  I couldn't believe back then I'd paid that much money for a spring mattress.  It had springs and was not pillow top, I remember that.  But it had stains and stuff on it (it was old).  The kids had been a baby and puked and peed on the thing (you know like mattresses get).  No plastic cover on it, so I got a queen size bed.  What a mistake (getting a new mattress).

You'd think this woudn't be a big deal.  I know I've told you guys that I get my sheets and pillow cases dry cleaned and stiffly (is that a word) ironed, didn't I?  I like them to feel like they do when you're in the hospital and they don't have a wrinkle in them.

My regular dry ceaning person went out of business but I finally found another place that will do it.  It's worth every penny to me to get it done.

I have other weird habits too but maybe that's the strangest.  Anyway, the mattress thing should be like this...right?  Do you guys agree?  Am I making too big of a deal out of it?  Come on you can be truthful?  

Honored Contributor

I have the same problem with needing a new bed. For a year now I am sleeping in my recliner, I hate it and want so bad to sleep in bed again, but off and on I have tried again to sleep in bed, by morning, if I last that long, I really struggle to get up and the pain stays with me for several hours. In the recliner, I can move when I get up from it. Hubby and I have discussed buying a new bed, but with the cost running into the thousands I just don't know. What if we spend thousands of dollars, and I still can't sleep in it. I need one of the adjusting frames I know that, but still don't know. Something has to change here though. I can't take sleeping in the recliner much longer, lol. Wish I knew the solution.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Just like pillows, how do we live in a country full of choices yet I don’t know how one can purchase a mattress without a “demonstrator model in the home.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 Totally agree!  I was just in there laying down (trying not to roll off of the stupid bed).

I turned it maybe two weeks ago (if that).  It's just me on a queen size bed.  Yet the stupid thing keeps getting big pits where I sleep.

I'm not obease, I'm not thin but it shouldn't be that bad!  The middle is like being on a mountain then I'm climbing out of a deep valley if (Heaven's forbid) I have to get out of the bed!

So, I get in a ouch (long o) over to the middle.... Ahhhh! That's OK, but if I move then I'm back into the valley.  I feel like a freaking turtle in this bed!

I keep saying when QVC has that sleep number do everything (tilt you name it) bed back on I'm buying it again!

You heard the story of when I bought one model of it and they left it on my sidewalk at the bottom of the steps (I live in a split foyer).  I thought I'd die getting it into the garage.  Long story, it went right back.

I've read where some people have had trouble with their sleep number beds.  If I paid a lot of money for the thing, I think there'd be a real incident.  Ha!  Then if I was laying in bed and there was a slow leak....well...let's just say, I'd not be a happy camper!

What kind of bed are you aiming at?  I have a terrible back.  I've had more things (short of an operation) done to my back since 2003 no one would believe the latest and greatest things I've had done.  Today, I've been hurting so bad I couldn't go to my daughter's for dinner, it was killing me.

About 3 weeks ago I had Botox shot up in it.  I think it made it worse!  There is no operation to fix it.

There is nothing like having a terrible back ache!