Frequent Contributor

Wow, do we need new ones!  We have 10 windows aross the back of our open concept home & the present ones are the originals...circa 1980!   I don't even know where to begin my search other than what I saw at Lowes.   Question for you decorating divas...our woodwork & trim around the windows is vintage dark cherry or walnut stain.  The present aluminum skinny blinds were white at 1 point & now are cream!    And yes, I take them down 4 times a year for a good bath.  I see that  they have darker, wider, faux wood blinds & wonder if that's what I should look for vs. white  (the walls are an updated creamish beige ).   I sure add that this is for resale as we hope to hit the road in a few years.  Boy, I'm really stuck & hope someone out in Qville can help with color, style & "where"!    TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on new mini blinds

If you decide to switch from mini blinds to wooden slats, just be careful about the weight.  Lots of them are too heavy to pull open.  I made that mistake 8 years ago.  I switched from minis in terrible condition to wide white slats.  I love the look - but forget raising them more than an inch or two.  They're just too heavy -  I never asked and the clerk never suggested the potential problem.

Do some serious shopping.  While you can get minis cheaply at Lowes or Home Depot,  but you can also spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars and there are many choices in between.

Honored Contributor

I agree the wood blinds are heavy.  They also darken the room.  Personally, I wouldn't sink a lot of money into new ones since you are selling.  I'd get something similar to what's hanging in white.  They will be new and fresh.

Honored Contributor

@tulips

I will suggest you purchase "faux" wood blinds if you decide on them.  I know they are "foam core" with wood covering they weigh less and will NOT warp from use or sunlight.

I am in the process of doing the same replacing all windows, next step blind selection.  I chose white faux wood - We have those nasty white which are now old tired cream 1" metal blinds!  I am working with a blind company vs. lowes/Home Depot because I consider them professionals.

I'm excited to get rid of these! We have triple Windows and 2 bay windows in our back of our home and gets the sun all day!

Respected Contributor

I would go with the faux wood.  I put new blinds in the bedrooms, but the windows were too small to use 2 inch blinds.  I found Blinds.com and they make 1 3/8 inch blinds.  They also have several colors to choose from.  If I remember, they will send you color samples.  They are a good company to work with, and fast.  Another good company is Select Blinds.com

If you decide to use them, read the instructions for measuring carefully.  They're easy to install yourself.

Trusted Contributor

I suggest checking out the offerings at JCPenney if you have one in your area.

I've made several purchases of custom blinds at my local store. The staff was awesome (although sometimes I had to wait while they used their awesomeness on other customers).

Check the store for sales in that department and you'll get a good deal.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates

JCP is a great place for window treatments. I don't think about them as our stores closed 2 years ago in our area👎🏻😟.

but when I lived in NJ I think I bought all my window treatments, bedding, linens and bath from there. They had great knowledgeable sales people in the drapery department.

Honored Contributor

If you're just going to be moving in a few years I definitely woudn't spend much money on new blinds. Just go to Lowes/Home Depot and get their miniblinds. They'll cut them for you if you give them the measurements. Invest in better blinds in your next house.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

We have 2 inch wood blinds throughout the entire house.  Real wood in the house and two faux wood blinds in the garage.  Both have held up fine.  We just use the valance that came with them.  I don't add any curtains or drapes.

I'd go with the 2 inch blinds.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I purchased wood mini blinds years ago when we purchased our current older home with a semi open floor concept. I had cherry/ pecan  wood on the windows so I matched that to the mini blinds. It wa sthe smooth, seamless look that I wanted. I purchased mine at IKEA but I also found them at Bed & Bath for a few of the smaller rooms. I prefer the wood.  It also is easier to maintain. My friend purchased her mini blinds (in the vinyl) at Home Depot and was pleased. Hope this helps your search.