Honored Contributor

AUCTION OF BARBARA WALTERS' ITEMS

The late Barbara Walters' very traditional, Mario Buatta-desiged apartment has hit the market, and now many of her items are going up for auction, hosted by Bonhams.

What a beautiful, chic photo of her they chose to highlight their online article:

Barbara-Walters-photo-by-Douglas-Kirkland-Getty-Images.--760x500.jpg

A traditional sitting room in her apartment.  I'm guessing (but can't be sure) that the full length portrait on the left is of Barbara herself:

untitled-design-750x500.webp

You can see that she had very ornate, formal taste in interiors.  But, it seemed to fit her personality.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 12.53.26 PM.png

She was lucky to have such wonderful paintings.  I think my favorite of her items is this striking John Singer Sargent painting,  "Egyptian Woman-- Coin Necklace".

Barbara-Walters-New-York-Home_Courtesy-Bonhams_1.jpg 

These sparkling earrings of peridot, tourmaline, sapphire and diamond, designed by the renowned "JAR"--

JAR_-A-Pair-of-Gemset-Earrings-France.-Estimate-180000-250000.jpg

"Franklin Park, Boston",  by Maurice Brazil Prendergast.  I bet that part of the glowing landscape's appeal for her was because of the connection to her beloved Boston--

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 12.37.29 PM.png

The auction is going to span the end of October and beginning of November.

Respected Contributor

Re: AUCTION OF BARBARA WALTERS' ITEMS

So this is the stuff her family doesn't want? Was her will contested and this is how her estate is being settled?

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

You certainly have the talent for finding interesting posts!

Love so many items in this apartment.  

Especially the shape of the couch and the floral fabric on the side chairs.

Love the Egyptian Woman with Coin Necklace.  The table under the painting is quite unique!

Regular Contributor

The New York Post said.......that in line with her commitment to philanthropy, the net proceeds of the sale will benefit charities dear to her.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

Fantastic, thank you for posting, what a treat.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I like it-so cozy and comfortable

and interesting. I wonder what that telescope type thing is in the sitting room.

When we see someone on tv for years it is hard to think of them not here anymore isn't it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 No, the will is not being contested.  Her only child, Jacqueline is the beneficiary,  Ms. Walters apartment is large, it has five bedroom, not counting LR, Master Bedroom etc.  Her daughter lives a very simple life as compared to her high profile mother.  The last I heard, her daughter was living in Naples, Florida.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Thank you for posting the pictures!  I added a few more.  I know Mario did the apartment years ago but there does not seem to be a trace of him left!  Of course, the design world is very small especially on the top tier.   He worked up the street from us on 62 Street when I worked for David Easton.  He had an apartment he work out of before he bought the one uptown. Betty was his executive assistant and her office was actually a closet and not a very large one.  Poor Betty, we he would get mad he would close the door to the closet on her but Betty had a great sense of humor and would laugh at him.  He was, always, so nice to me and when he wanted to get away from all the performing he would come find me and he could be that boy from Staten Island.

Her Master Bedroom

Bedroom.jpg

The library...............love the burl wood wall!

burl library.jpg

Foyer

foyer.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you for the extra pictures.  So glad she could enjoy life.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG ,  my eye went right to that exotic table too!   By the way, we have @Somertime to thank for those extra pictures.  

Thanks, @Somertime ,  they really round out the feeling you get from the space.  Love the inside scoop you have on that design world from your long association with David Easton.   So cool that you knew Buatta and his delightful-sounding assistant as well!