Honored Contributor

ARCHITECTURAL STYLE IN A DIAMOND RING

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 2.34.02 PM.png

This 1920's Art Deco platinum ring on Etsy,  made me think of all the Art Deco rooms and artifacts I'm also drawn to.

I wonder if Zelda Fitzgerald might have received a similar engagement ring from F. Scott, ha.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 2.55.02 PM.png

Love the geometry of it, the way those "steps" of small round diamonds fall away from the drama of the center stone.  That largest stone is 1.58 carats, but looks a bit bigger b/c of the setting.  Also love anything that gives the look of "cushion cut".

I even like the delicate, arrow-shaped engraving detail on the side of the band, below the diamonds:

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 2.47.17 PM.png

Question:   If you had the opportunity to design either a regular ring of yours, or an engagement ring, money no object, what would it look like?   Specific stones you prefer, or lack of?  Cut?  Design style?

If you have ever had a ring designed to your specifications, were you pleased with the result?  

Honored Contributor

Re: ARCHITECTURAL STYLE IN A DIAMOND RING

Very attractive, indeed.

Although, I have my Victorian grandmother's platinum dinner ring with 16 matched diamonds, I just love the look if the old solitaires which are a little safer since the prongs are thicker.

These rings are hard to get now.  Either the stone is lab grown or there are diamonds on the band which I don't want.

Badgley Mischka Near-Colorless 3 ctw Round Lab Grown Diamond  Solitaire Engagement Ring

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 2.34.02 PM.png

This 1920's Art Deco platinum ring on Etsy,  made me think of all the Art Deco rooms and artifacts I'm also drawn to.

I wonder if Zelda Fitzgerald might have received a similar engagement ring from F. Scott, ha.

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 2.55.02 PM.png

Love the geometry of it, the way those "steps" of small round diamonds fall away from the drama of the center stone.  That largest stone is 1.58 carats, but looks a bit bigger b/c of the setting.  Also love anything that gives the look of "cushion cut".

I even like the delicate, arrow-shaped engraving detail on the side of the band, below the diamonds:

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 2.47.17 PM.png

Question:   If you had the opportunity to design either a regular ring of yours, or an engagement ring, money no object, what would it look like?   Specific stones you prefer, or lack of?  Cut?  Design style?

If you have ever had a ring designed to your specifications, were you pleased with the result?  

I love Etsy! Can I ask, what is the name of the shop? I absolutely love this ring! 

Respected Contributor

I designed and had a diamond ring made by a downtown jeweler decades ago. As a Buyer of some gemstone/14K jewelry for stores in my 1st career, I was also able to purchase a diamond. It was F color, VVS1, 1.6 carats. My dad gave me a men's 14K ring he no longer wore to use, and my grandma gave me a ring with 6 small diamonds to use.

The design was a floral. The larger diamond was at the top middle as the blossom, and the small diamonds were channel set in 2 leaves. It wasn't an open design; the yellow gold was thick & the leaves & stems were a little asymmetrical.

The ring had meaning to me, and I passed it down to my child 3 years ago.

Respected Contributor

Love all things Art Deco. Furniture being my favorite. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually don't care for the deco style but this ring has a contemporary vibe, not bad.  My preference is for very contemporary settings for diamond rings.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I designed and had a diamond ring made by a downtown jeweler decades ago. As a Buyer of some gemstone/14K jewelry for stores in my 1st career, I was also able to purchase a diamond. It was F color, VVS1, 1.6 carats. My dad gave me a men's 14K ring he no longer wore to use, and my grandma gave me a ring with 6 small diamonds to use.

The design was a floral. The larger diamond was at the top middle as the blossom, and the small diamonds were channel set in 2 leaves. It wasn't an open design; the yellow gold was thick & the leaves & stems were a little asymmetrical.

The ring had meaning to me, and I passed it down to my child 3 years ago

That sounds absolutely divine and and how meaningful to be able to combine the pieces from people you hold dear like that. I'm glad your children have enjoyed it too.  I would love to be able to see a photo.

Respected Contributor

I tend to like Deco and Edwardian styles as I like a flatter profile.  I like this ring very much.  It's too bad that the center stone isn't a very good one.

Honored Contributor

Your inherited ring, @ECBG ,  and your re-designed and re-constituted heirloom ring from various family members, @Desert Lily --  both sound so beautiful, and of course, so deeply meaningful.  A family connection to our things is just the best.

@Effie54,  the shop on Etsy was NorthCoastJewelryLLC.  I went back to look at their site, and they had some really nice antique pieces!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

I have never redesigned any jewelry.   All of my rings are in their original design.