Honored Contributor

ALABAMA CHRISTMAS LIVING ROOM

[ Edited ]

Boy, "Flower Magazine" is chugging on all cylinders right now, with tons of Christmas content.  Then they can go months with nothing new!  But I'm enjoying it-- check out if you like pretty, seasonal interiors.

This guy has a beautiful house, although for me, it's more "grand" than I prefer.  I'm more the 'kooky little cottage' with flaws type.  But still, this Alabama home has lovely ideas--

He's blessed with those Palladian-style windows.  There's more though.  The furniture arrangement is conducive to conversation, even in this big room.  There are fun quirky elements like the eggplant colored lampshade.   The palms and the ferns give just a hint of a lush Southern/ Caribbean feeling to the traditional decor...

FlowerMagazine_ZoeGowanID_12.6.7.2021_6270.jpg

I love how here in the parlor (which I think adjoins the living room somehow) they took the garland up, up and away from the mantel, yet it's in a classical, sort of Gothic shape.   And again, the thing that's more important to me than size of room, or anything else--  there's warmth.

FlowerMagazine_ZoeGowanID_12.6.7.2021_6533.jpg

At this end in the living room, the garland on THIS fireplace goes up into another, rather organic shape!   The topper on the tree, of gilded ferns or palm fronds, emphasizes the generous ceiling height and brings a fanciful touch.

FlowerMagazine_ZoeGowanID_12.6.7.2021_6242_New.jpg

They didn't go overboard in the kitchen, but I love the weaving in of fresh citrus--  oranges and lemons-- with greenery.  Looks so pretty and fresh with the blue.

FlowerMagazine_ZoeGowanID_12.6.7.2021_6130.jpg

And my favorite Christmas emblem, a nativity.   Love that it is covered in earthy, natural moss, somehow "grounding it"---   sweet.

FlowerMagazine_ZoeGowanID_12.6.7.2021_6309.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: ALABAMA CHRISTMAS LIVING ROOM

[ Edited ]

Afraid the LR is a bit too stuffy for me.  More of a room to look at, not live in.  The tree needs some color.  I do like the architectural detail.  

The second room is better with the fireplace and comfier furniture.  Like the way they placed the garland.  Those yellow curtains must go, though.  

I will say this, at least it's traditional furniture.  Is it making a comeback?  I hope so.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love all of it.  The blue lamp/shade and the palm plant in the living room seem out of place with the style of decor though. 

Honored Contributor

The prints on the chairs are beautiful and elegant.  I love the windows and rug designs.  The rooms have warmth and appeal and look comfortable and inviting, beautifully decorated in the furniture, rugs, pillows, books on the coffee table, everything so lovely. I l too love the manger and the beautiful chair,  the art work enhances as do the drapes throughout. All in all, much to like in this home.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s very pretty, but nothing remarkable about it. It seems flat. It needs contrast.

Honored Contributor

Those ugly drapes are God awful.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Al place.jpg

Here is out ALABAMA home (dear hunting camp) but it sure is fun being up there!  Beautiful state!

Respected Contributor

I love it!

Much of the furniture and decor seem geared toward  spring and summer (nothing wrong with that, all is pretty), but the holiday details do warm everything up.

Love the tree topper, all of the pillows, lamps and the beautiful rug. The kitchen is to die for. 

Respected Contributor

I'll take this house.  Love the windows and the furniture.  Would like to see it in its normal state, not decorated for Christmas.  I remember having a very similar drum table in our livingroom when I was growing up. I would have to change the picture over the mantle and the decor to my taste when I see it in its normal state.

@Oznell   I like quirky cottages too, but would prefer to live in this house with some changes.

Valued Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Afraid the LR is a bit too stuffy for me.  More of a room to look at, not live in.  The tree needs some color.  I do like the architectural detail.  

The second room is better with the fireplace and comfier furniture.  Like the way they placed the garland.  Those yellow curtains must go, though.  

I will say this, at least it's traditional furniture.  Is it making a comeback?  I hope so.  

I'm right there with you.  I needed a new accent chair and had a heck of a time finding one that I remotely liked.  It's still too puffy, but it works with the sofa.  

Traditional styles are timeless and hopefully,  when I need furniture again, there will be more options.