Honored Contributor

A "READING ROOM"

[ Edited ]

Thought this was rather magical; it was created by M & M Interior Design of Chicago ( a pair of very talented designing sisters):

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 6.10.25 PM.png

Because of the quirky roof line ( apparently at the top of the house),  there are so many cozy little nooks to discover!

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 8.19.07 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 7.48.38 AM.png

And I'm not even that fond of wallpaper, or even partially tented rooms.  But love the way everything was carefully used here, and love the purpose of the room, as a sort of fantasy library or study and reading escape-- 

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 6.12.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 6.11.12 PM.png

You don't even realize at first that this attic hideaway has its own little fireplace corner, for hearthside reading or serving coffee!  Darling slipper chair...

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 6.10.59 PM.png

Here's an even longer perspective on the space.  Even though it's big, it's cleverly broken down into little intimate conversation or reading areas--

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 8.02.18 AM.png

In the Shirley Temple movie "The Little Princess",  the newly impoverished little girl ( Shirley), now a servant, is confined to the cold, spartan attic of the Victorian girl's school she attended in better times.  But her friend, the Indian butler (Cesar Romero) of a rich neighbor, surprises her by stealing in, and furnishing the hovel with warmth and untold luxuries from his house.  Shirley is overwhelmed with the magical transformation.  This room reminds me of that scene in the film!

Here's the dreamy exterior of the house, in the Preston Hollow neighborhood of Dallas.  You can see the steep roofline that probably makes up part of the reading room inside, at the back, I expect:

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 8.11.15 AM.png  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A "READING ROOM"

[ Edited ]

Perfectly charming room to read in or just unwind from a busy life.  I am sure the rest of this home is as lovely as this room.

Thank you @Oznell for sharing this, and all that you expose us to.  

Frequent Contributor

Beautiful! Looks like a great space to get away from everything and relax! I like wallpaper if it's used sparingly. I think it can make a unique impact. I've read that it's kind of coming back in style. 

Respected Contributor

A charming hideaway decorated quite beautifully. I love the blue and the pink couches!

The light gives the room vibrancy.

Thank you for another wonderful post @Oznell 

Respected Contributor

I'm moving in !!!

Respected Contributor

Beautifully done. That room is a perfect extension of the lovely home, I love the wallpaper, brings the outside in.

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

That's a good example of a way to decorate a huge space so that it feels more welcoming and less cavernous.  Thanks for sharing, @Oznell.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   I love this space, I could be very comfortable there.

I agree with you about the wallpaper. That oversized

leaf print is too much. The pattern colors are nice, but I

would like it in a much smaller scale.

Honored Contributor

Quaint and lovely but up to date somehow. Normally I don't like pink and blue together but they nailed it here.  They made it so warm and inviting.

Respected Contributor

@CarolinaGirl88  I have always had wallpaper in my houses.

I guess if you have something long enough,

it comes back into style.

The same thing happens with fashions and

jewelry. Trends seem to return, every twenty

years, or so.

I'm old, so I have seen many trends return.