Honored Contributor

I thought it would be fun to contrast two examples of "apartment" living.  

The first is a youtube tour of a "House and Home" mag. design of a spacious condo.  I think it's in Toronto, but would have to watch again to be sure.  The designer has that beloved Canadian accent so familiar to me. Really spacious place, and light-filled!  The owners had some nice antiques, and I love the art collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHwf8wkl5Zs

I think the one above will be approved by our more minimal crowd-- it's definitely "leaner" in terms of possessions than the one following.

This second one is a rental, that wonderful, prolific "Cote de Texas" blogger Joni has moved into.  She and her husband had to leave their large, contemporary house, that had a library, lots of extra rooms, etc., for a smaller rental in an older building.  She explains that her husband's daily massive migraines and a resulting interval of ill health, necessitated them doing this major downsize.

But never fear, tender-hearted ones--  he has good prospects for improvement, and Joni herself seems pretty bouyant about the adventure.  She had to slash their possessions to the bone, but their new two bedroom apartment is still pretty "maximal" with lots of lovely remnants of their vanished former life.  She probably wants to keep as much as possible, as they may move again, to possibly larger digs.  

She farmed some pieces out to family, and then kept those most dear, like lovely porcelain, shell and mineral crystal collections, etc.  She decided in favor of keeping her antiques over her reproductions whenever possible.

She hates the kitchen!  It's small, and unremarkable, crowded.  But the apt. is in a nice older building, with big closets, decent sized bedrooms, and lovely views over green, winding Buffalo Bayou, where her husband is having a blast watching turtles, ducks and all the wildlife.

IMG_0749.JPG

She had issues with the long hallway that so many apts. have.  I like the way she broke it up with those star pendant lights. IMG_0927 1.JPG

There's an entry alcove where she was able tuck her lovely cupboard and china.

DSC_5964.JPG

Love the Swedish-looking clock.  She had sisal matting custom-cut for several of the rooms.

clock.jpg

DSC_5812.JPG

DSC_5691.JPG

A bit of the small kitchen, which abuts right onto the living room.  Now, I would have to clear the decks here, no china on the stove, etc., but "Cote" is characteristically funny about this-- she says, what a good thing she doesn't cook!

IMG_0371.JPG

DSC_5987.JPG

Charming, French-feeling dining room.

DSC_5924.JPG

DSC_5940.JPG

Back to the hallway.  She says their entire "office" now, is contained in these two baskets!

redo2.jpg

The master bedroom:

IMG_0359.JPG

An enviable blue opaline collection, but I would need an uncrowded night table, myself.   What a pretty coverlet-- everything she has is so fine.

56047328707__C66EDD61-A8DA-4400-8B90-40ACF40B20E1 1.JPG

Now here's the second bedroom, which is quite roomy, and they've done a very smart thing.  They've turned it into a second sitting room.  Their daughter sleeps comfortably on the day bed when she visits.

DSC_6068.JPG

Love a good chaise, a quiet spot, and stack of books!

DSC_5672.JPG

And here, next to the chaise, are some remnants of their former library....  Various globes and old books make me feel so at home.

DSC_5658.JPG

All in all, a nice sized bedroom-turned-den.

DSC_5668.JPG

Bye, bayou!

DSC_6030.JPG

Some people go minimal when they move or downsize, but that doesn't seem to be "Cote's" way.  She derives joy out of the carefully selected objects and collections around her.  So I find her apartment "soulful" and interesting.   I find I like both it and the tranquil Canadian condo, for different reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A TALE OF TWO APARTMENTS

I like clean lines, and no clutter. I do love the clock. Please keep keep posting I love your pictures, and your commentary.

Honored Contributor

Both places have appeal and both would need some changes to suit my taste and style. 

The first condo with the antique mix is light and roomy.  I would add some color to the walls and furniture.  I do admire the art work, I love art when placed throughout the rooms.  It appears comfortable for the most part.

The second condo is lovely in many ways.  The long hallway is decorated tastefully, the lights and decor give it appeal.  I love the second bedroom and the sitting area is so pretty.  The master bedroom is OK, I wouldn't have the night table filled with all the glass. I would add oriental rugs in the living room and not have the zebra throw.

The views are peaceful and scenic.

Valued Contributor

Really pretty but I can't imagine having to dust all that stuff!!

Honored Contributor

About that Texas apartment, she needs to further edit. I like pretty things as much as anyone, probably more than most, but to use an oft used term around here, the entire place just looks cluttered. Actually, it's bursting at the seams. I love blue and white, but not sitting all over the floor. How does anyone walk in that space? I'd also get rid of the miniature furniture, which serves no purpose and let's face it, she simply doesn't have the luxury of having room for it. Don't care for the Moravian star fixtures. The china cabinet is pretty but is completely overloaded. She's got some pretty things, including the baker's rack, which I love, but there are just too many of them for that space. The second bedroom's not bad.

Despite, overall, preferring the elements in the smaller apartment, there are some lovely pieces in the larger one as well and it's probably a good deal more livable, less overwhelming and less claustrophobic, not just because it's larger but because the space isn't overwhelmed with too much stuff.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Fun  to see @Oznell , I always enjoy your “ tours”.

I often wonder how people can live with white upholstery and rugs. Even if it’s slip covered.  Just putting your hand on the arm rest will leave a soiled spot in a short time.

Honored Contributor

Wow, what good points you all have.

@manny2, you put your finger on what for me is one of the key pieces in the whole apt., the clock!

@spiderw, yes!   The one thing about the first condo for me is it needs more color.  I feel the interesting art scattered around needs the support of some lively color.  The condo had a slight "anemic" feel to me despite all its assets-- although some of that might be due to the "bleaching out" effects of all the sunlight flooding in.

@stevieb, I agree with you about virtually all of your analysis of the small apt.  Especially the miniature furniture, the garden seats and other "unnesessaries"-- be gone!  I don't like a lot of stuff on the floor either.  I do feel for her about the other handsome blue and white chinoiserie.  They are so big-- and looked so great-- in her former house.  She understandably can't part with them, and where to put them?  They become like people, ha.  She does have them mostly tucked under that tea table...

I'm also guessing that this first sitting room is where they receive guests, entertain, as opposed to doing most of their living.  They seem to do that in the bedroom-turned-den.  So maybe that allows the first room to be more of a composed, "stage-set" type space....

@tipsy-- oh, yes, dusting nightmare.  You'd have to be a committed duster.

@Azcowgirl, I know, I personally wouldn't have white furniture, what a nightmare.  White slipcovers are fine with me though.  I had vanilla colored ones at one point, in a heavy, denim-like cotton, and they were so easy to wash and keep looking good.  The worst thing about them was putting them on and off!     

Honored Contributor

I do really like most of the rooms. Just too cluttered for me. Even removing a bit of each collection on tables, floors, etc would make a big difference and lighten the somewhat heavy look.

The clock is fantastic and I think the kitchen is adorable...maybe not for a foodie type of cook but I find it totally appealing and inviting.

Esteemed Contributor

I do like the first apartment very much, especially the art but for some reason it doesn't look like a home to me.  Looks very staged, guess I need more personal "stuff".  The second one just made me sad.  I understand her making the best of the situation and not being able to part with such beautiful treasures, I would do the same.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Were I her, I'd definitely make room for the blue and white... other things would simply have to go... Oh, and the zebra rug needs to go too...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...