Honored Contributor

Re: A Long Unexplained Mystery Solved?

I call it sockland.  When my child was really small, he would notice the expression on my face after sorting the dry clothes.  It flew away to sockland?  He would ask. 

Honored Contributor

This is funny.

It isn’t real though.  It amazes me how gullible some people are.  It is staged for the joke about the washer eating socks. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

This is funny.

It isn’t real though.  It amazes me how gullible some people are.  It is staged for the joke about the washer eating socks. 

If it isn't real, they sure found a lot of dirty nasty stuff to stage it with!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohiowrote:

@Carmiewrote:

This is funny.

Every time you move your refrigerator, dryer or washer, there is ton of dust behind there.  When you open the bottom of the appliance, there is ton more.  There is a fan and motor that pulls all he dust into the area.

If you ever have seen the inside  of a washer or dryer with the panel removed, you would noticed that the dust is thick and clumpy.  Any socks, dryer sheets, etc that would happen to be in there would not be fluffy and piled in there evenly.

They would be flat and pulled to one side and the dust would be stuck to them through and through like a thick foam.

My DH fixes our appliances, by working on the motor or replacing a belt and about twice a year, he removes the cover to vacuum all of the thick dust in there.  What he removes looks like the lint filter in the dryer you get after each load times 100.

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@Mominohiowrote:

@Carmiewrote:

This is funny.

Every time you move your refrigerator, dryer or washer, there is ton of dust behind there.  When you open the bottom of the appliance, there is ton more.  There is a fan and motor that pulls all he dust into the area.

If you ever have seen the inside  of a washer or dryer with the panel removed, you would noticed that the dust is thick and clumpy.  Any socks, dryer sheets, etc that would happen to be in there would not be fluffy and piled in there evenly.

They would be flat and pulled to one side and the dust would be stuck to them through and through like a thick foam.

My DH fixes our appliances, by working on the motor or replacing a belt and about twice a year, he removes the cover to vacuum all of the thick dust in there.  What he removes looks like the lint filter in the dryer you get after each load times 100.

I pull out my stove, fridge and washer and dryer every few weeks to clean under, and I get to the coils underneath. It gets pretty gross. I disassemble the washer and dryer every couple of years and clean inside. Amazing what is found. 

That is my point, if this was staged, they went a long way to make it look real. Really gunked up the socks and found the dirt and staged it well.

Respected Contributor

I too open that panel on my dryer once a year and clean it out. Lint gets back in there and seemingly can't get out. I vacuum it to make sure it isn't a fire hazard. I do the same with the hose to the outside. I also don't leave it running when I'm not home. That panel does come off with a screw driver, usually, and is scary what you find in there.
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono But, have you ever seen this?I found It!.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have never had a sock go in the dryer and not come out...and I have done more loads of laundry than I would like to admit to.

If the lint trap is in place how does this happen?

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  I thought this is what happened...

Image result for dryer lint cremated socks

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Silly picture.  It wouldn't run like that or if it did, a fire would have broken out sooner than later.

I just had my washer (I know this pic is a dryer) repaired (it didn't spin) and the repairman took off a panel from the bottom.  I cleaned it off but considering it had not been removed for over 20 years, the dust and debris buildup was very minimal.  Not even a fraction of an inch, and not even distributed completely over the panel.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.