Respected Contributor

@stevieb .  I really like this!  I'm considering beams on my peaked ceilings, would look great here in Colorado too Smiley Happy

Can you tell where the shorter vertical beams start and stop?  It looks like each beam has one coming down from the ceiling and attaching to the horizontal beam (s).

That's a different look, normally it's horizontal beams almost floating, The vertical beams add more interest.

Honored Contributor

I really like this room, thank you for posting.

The green chairs in the foreground are wonderful and work with the drapes and other areas!  I LOVE all of the glass to let the outside in.  The antique chair against the left wall is interesting.

Honored Contributor

I like the space and its architectural details. I love the windows and the floor. The cabinet on the wall under the TV, the sofa, and brown leather chairs can stay. I would change the rest. 

Honored Contributor

I like the space, the beams, the windows and the couch.. I would change out some of the other furniture. I also think I like darker wood beams.

Honored Contributor

It's very pretty. Architecturally, it's more of a cathedral ceiling than an A-frame. A high school classmate of mine and his father built an A-frame house. They bought a wooded lot and a portable sawmill then cut down the trees and milled them into timbers. He said living in the house was the scariest thing ever as the wood timbers would suddenly crack loudly as they dried. It would sound like thunder and seldom came with a warning. Other times they'd get a long extended cracking sound that would everyone wandering around and checking to be sure everything was still intact. If you use large timbers in a house, make sure they're dry and aged unless you like sudden sound effects that can scare you to death.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

This is beautiful...but I can tell you from personal experience, that those crossbeams catch a LOT of dust on top and are a pain to clean! Especially now that we are older, and getting on a ladder is a lot more difficult. Even standing on the floor with a long handled duster doesn't work very well, due to the roughness of the wood. Thankfully, we only have one of those and it's in the master BR. 

I would never build a house with ceilings taller than 10 feet again, and would never have beams again! My LR is 20 ft. and the MBR is 15 ft. Even those beams set against the ceiling collect cobwebs, and even long handled dusters don't reach well.

Honored Contributor

@vermint  I agree with you on the extremely high ceilings and especially two story rooms, I'm not a fan for a variety of reasons.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@stevieb .  I really like this!  I'm considering beams on my peaked ceilings, would look great here in Colorado too Smiley Happy

Can you tell where the shorter vertical beams start and stop?  It looks like each beam has one coming down from the ceiling and attaching to the horizontal beam (s).

That's a different look, normally it's horizontal beams almost floating, The vertical beams add more interest.

@rockygems123  , here is another view of the beams, in case it might help:

BethMeyerInteriors6_14_21_RusticWhite010.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: A Frame Living Room...

[ Edited ]

@rockygems123 wrote:

@rockygems123  I agree, it's a different look and I like it. The vertical beams appear to end where the ceiling slants and approximately just a bit beyond the tops of the windows. I like the sort of rustic look that beams bring to a room.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...