Honored Contributor

Interior designer Laurel Bern has a passion for interesting kitchens, what she calls "un-kitchens",   because they don't fit the usual mold.  Some of her choices for timeless kitchens:

I like the mix in this one--  the beautiful wood work table combined with the classic painted beadboard and cabinets, the stunning marble backsplash behind the stove, and the pendant light.  (Warning, for the squeamish, including me--  there will be oil paintings near stoves and fireplaces, in lots of these photos!)

Mark-Maresca-Kitchen.jpg

And another kitchen with a fantastic, hard-working table and antique light.  I wonder if the blue cabinetry might be cleverly hiding the frig?  Cement tile floor would be hard on the feet.  Would prefer it on an enclosed porch or something where you're not constantly walking on it.

2)

Studio-Peregalli-Timeless-Kitchen-encaustic-cement-floor-antique-table-unkitchen.jpg

She pointed out how architect/designer Gil Schafer, simply using corbels beneath the uppers, helps tie all the cabinets together, and again, contribute to the timelessness.

3)

Gil-Schafer-Timeless-kitchens-Corbels.jpg

Oh, boy, this next one of Laurel's deserves several images.  It is literally a chef's kitchen, belonging to Mimi Thorisson, a chef living in a small village in France. 

Like her old house, her kitchen is really big and rambling.

The restoration was thorough, pulling up old linoleum to reveal original checkerboard tile.  So French, and bistro-like!

4)

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.30.49 PM.png

Yes, it's big, with a cavernous fireplace, but at least she has lots of helpers, in the form of her combined family of 8 children...

4b)

familyinthekitchen-710x481.jpg

A view of the kitchen staircase...

4c)

snapshot.jpg

4d)

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.02.33 PM.png

I looked up the kitchen further, and this shot is of something they called "the storage area",  which I'm assuming is what we'd call "the pantry"--  but even it has a set table and wine!

4e)

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.11.07 PM.png

Like I said, Laurel Bern finds the most unusual kitchens.

Back to the U.S.,  but similarly, a quite eclectic kitchen--with its bi-colored cabinets, combo of different pendant lights, and stained wood table.  It's verging on too many finishes for me, with the addition of the patterned floor, but I still find it interesting---

5)

kristen-buckingham-2-portfolio-interiors-american-country-beachcoastal-french-provincial-georgian-traditional-transitional-kitchen.jpeg

Count on architect/designer Gil Schafer again to do a nice kitchen.  A fireplace never hurts!

6)

timeless-kitchens-Gil-Schafer.jpg

Love the way this one makes use of a stunning, vintage looking free standing cabinet for storage--

7)

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.28.27 PM.png

And the other end, I like the square tiles:

7b)

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.27.48 PM.png

8)  Another example of attractive tile work.

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.31.24 PM.png

And Giannetti Home does a great contrast look with their tiling--  love this kitchen.

9)

Timeless-Kitchen-by-Giannetti-Home-black-absolute-granite.jpeg

And here's a pretty one that Laurel Bern worked on herself some time back, in Bronxville, New York.  I saw the "before" pictures, and boy, did she work wonders.  I always like it when, where appropriate, the tile extends all the way up...

10)

kitchen-renovation-charming-old-home.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Many thanks for this interesting showcase!  There was quite a lot I loved, and of course I want all of the antiques!

In this kitchen, The china cabinet is interesting.  Not fond of the modern chair which seems too low for the table.

Eight children!  Just wow!  No way would I tackle that!  I'd run for the hills!

Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

I really like all of them. Of course I might change a few things but not much.

I LOVE a fireplace in a kitchen! A friend of ours has a see-thru fireplace (kitchen/dining room). Both rooms are so warm and welcoming.

When we have dinner there I request the seat closest to the fireplace. Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

This is lovely.  I have a collection of pitchers and tea sets that I would love to display in a cabinet like this.  If only I had the space.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for another wonderful post!

I like #3, but looking at the cabinets on the right hand side, I would prefer more space as it seems rather narrow.

I love the hutch and floor in #7 and and the tiling in #7b, 8  and 10.

Honored Contributor

While I am not a kitchen person, these kitchens are very appealing and I would happily enjoy having any one of them !!!!!  They are so pretty and filled with charm, lovely furniture and decor!  I would spend time in them and be comfortable!!!!

Respected Contributor

I like all of these kitchens with the exception of #6.

Honored Contributor

Liked the variety, but was most intrigued by the kitchen that had a staircase. Our farmhouse had a staircase off the kitchen and a fancier one off the front entrance hall.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell 

I love them all.  I especially love the copper vent in #10. 

I also love the mix of colors between the cabinets and the furniture - not so matchy-matchy. 

I don't care for the checkerboard flooring.   I can't explain it, but it's hard on my eyes.  I feel the same when I see it in a foyer.

Respected Contributor

I'm in love with the last kitchen photo with the green marble-topped work table and simple copper hood over the cookstove.  Lots of light coming in.  Perfect.