Honored Contributor

A CASUAL CALIFORNIA GREAT ROOM LIGHTENS UP FOR SPRING

I always like to see the subtle changes Cindy Hattersley makes in her house on the central California coast when the seasons evolve.

Her style, let's see-- wouldn't you call it "Rustic / Vintage"?  I don't know that she's ever described it that way, but seems roughly accurate.  She's always got a nice sprinkling of "primitive" too.  It's different from my sort of 'cottage-y eclectic' style, but the things she does apply across many styles.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 12.34.04 PM.png

She changed out her fluffy throws for linen-y ones, in a lovely smoky aqua shade.  And, switched her pillow covers to pastel, lighter and floral-inspired ones-- 

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 12.34.54 PM.png

And her one fool-proof indoor plant, an asparagus fern, joins the conversation area--

asparagus-fern.jpg

She said she needs to keep very tall elements on her mantel, because of the soaring scale of the room.  So she just flipped the salvaged arched doors, from the orange side to the "blonde" side.  The vintage house vent is already in a spring-y color, green.  Her tall, antique lawn bowling pins keep the eye going up... 

mantel-with-cupboarrd-panels.jpg

On the coffee table, she cut Japanese maple branches, and put them in a huge clear Hungarian pickling jar.   A favorite painting of lemons goes on a tiny easel.  I like that even her antique painted box ( perfect for hiding remotes ) has springy colors and motifs.

coffee-table-top-arrangement.jpg

We've seen that huge antique breadboard she uses as a tray before, love.

close-up-coffee-table.jpg

On her fab old tavern table--  lacy mirror,  naturally-shed antlers, summery landscape painting from Pennsylvania, lemons--  and, faux forsythia in another large jar.... 

table-and-cupboard.jpg

painting.jpg

In the first photo, did you notice the built-in shelves surrounding the TV?  She rotates stuff in and out, like so many of us do.  Now, she's got baskets, and, as a self-described "moss nerd",  picked up a bunch of moss at Michael's for that summery, natural look on the shelves--

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.21.06 PM.png

Love the bunny, and the antique French wooden sink:

shelves-1.jpg

Her dining area stays with the understated, organic look, with her long dough bowl sporting pears and moss for the season...

dining-table-spring.jpg

dining-table-arrangement.jpg

She had spotted a moss wreath at Terrain for umpteen dollars, so elected to make her own.  I think they turned out really pretty, and very consistent with her style--

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.24.55 PM.png

It never gets old to hear how others tweak their houses in warm weather, or for any seasonal change.  If you make changes, large or small, would you care to share?

Respected Contributor

Re: A CASUAL CALIFORNIA GREAT ROOM LIGHTENS UP FOR SPRING

Reminds me of a Pottery Barn showroomSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like this a lot. Love the comfy vibe. Interesting mix of warm and cool colors. I like most of the furnishings and accessories. I don't care for the items on the mantel or the monogram on the chairs. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like the furnishings and some of the decor such as the built in shelves, though I would add a couple of flameless candles and a pretty decorative bird.   I find it's a mix of a warm feeling but sometimes almost cold if that makes any sense.........For me I don't switch out too much decor at all.  I have my things out all year long that I love and just change up the seasonal as you stated.  For instance I will soon be putting my Spring decor away and taking out my Patriotic things for summertime.

I always enjoy your pictures and your posts @Oznell .

Honored Contributor

I just realized something.  I don't have any decor.  I have things I love, most I've lived with a very long time, but not decor. To me that is things I bought to be decorative, to use for a while, because they are on trend.

Which explains why I don't arrange things in my house, change them around, unless something else I want to display gets pulled out of a cabinet or "found" in the house.

Maybe an odd point to most of you, but makes sense to me and explains a lot about me. Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I like this a lot. I don't care for the mantel decor, but it is really nice...

Respected Contributor

I change out pillow covers and throws, but not much else.  I used to change out towels and bed coverings and door wreaths, but I gave up those changes when I downsized,

Honored Contributor

I love her style.  It reminds  me of my style, but she's better at it.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I change out very little.

Not fond of what's on the mantel, love the dinnng room.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

It's not for me but I do love that it looks comfy and inviting and is coordinated well.  I'm definitely not fond of those front door wreaths.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown