Honored Contributor

AFTER-RESTORATION.jpg

I think of veteran designer Charles Spada as a sort of "Grand Duke" of American interior design, so it's neat and fitting that he went about restoring the historic "Manoir de Berthoulet" in Normandy.

These rooms were so widely published, you may have seen them already, but a refresher:   The manor house was originally a hunting lodge, until is was converted in the 1700's to a private summer residence.

I think Spada did a lovely job on the "salon".   He said that here and in the dining room, he had to have the painted paneling scrubbed 3 times with a lye solution, to bring back the soft coloring after centuries of wood smoke:

normandy3-1.jpg

The chaise looks like a comfortable spot near that beatiful hearth.

tumblr_nj53wr04vU1u63l5go1_400-p2a5wcg1xf0zgy1ozi1n6627xm6men7xj278vkcc5k.jpg

Love the chandelier, the windows, the inviting "allee" view!

interiors-coolchicstylefashion.jpg

Stunning floors.  It's interesting how many grand French houses dispense with rugs.

f67479d6e79f71099405428929e76ca8-p2a5vcq6ppo37rhks2ltjf2pcz2oa5a4q5esn1taq0.jpg

Love the way he used simple checked fabric for curtains.  That's something I always like, and look for --  the mix of "high" and "low".   Makes things more interesting, and approachable.  Of course on the other hand, his liberal use of pretty porcelain on walls also appeals to me....

normandy4-1-p2a5w4xceqqow2cm7esmm7yj6j7op2e2u0zd1cnhjc.jpg

Really like the old engravings and prints in bedroom- and the books.  Feels like a cozy but airy library, and there's definitely a

great place to read by the open window!

Normandy-home-to-Boston-designer-Charles-Spada.jpg

Beams and brick floors in kitchen, yum.  Look how in both pictures below, he brought the wood back so beautifully.  A warm counterpoint to that array of pretty white ironstone on display.  The simplicity of the industrial-accented pendant lights in such a setting is perfect.  He said he brought the kitchen down to the original plaster! 

Charles-Spada‘s-Normandy-Home-Picture-Credit-My-French-Country-Home-Blog-500x3291-1.jpg

architectural-digest-italia-charles-spada-vacation-home.jpg

Such an inviting prospect--  Normandy always seems like a place I'd love to visit.

interiors-cool-chic-style-fashion-blog-3-p2a5vhfdnvuittar0mmydvw0bwficmsseso81fmbuw.png

Honored Contributor

Re: 1652 FRENCH HOUSE, RESTORED

I agree: Fabulous floors! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I love everything about this house @Oznell !

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I am gobsmacked from the beauty of this house.....stunning.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I'd love to live in that fairy tale house.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the exterior so much more than the cluttered, fussy interior.

Respected Contributor

I agree that the exterior is beautiful, but the interior is too cluttered.  There appears to be little room to navigate around all the furniture, especially in the first picture.  

Sorry, but all those plates hanging on the walls makes me think of target practice.   

@Oznell Thanks though for sharing unusual abodes. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

There isn't anything I do not like about this elegant home and it is very much within my taste zone.  Just stunning!!!!!  What a beautiful exterior also!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the outside, very pretty, but the inside is too cluttered for me.

Honored Contributor

This is a lovely and sumptuous restoration. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...