Respected Contributor

Re: Your Christmas day wardrobe....casual or dressy?

[ Edited ]

@PeterDM wrote:

It's been years since I've gotten to spend Christmas with my family, because they live so far away, and my job does not allow me to travel on the holidays.  I spend the holidays with my employees, who are professional stage actors from NYC, and my coworkers.  I usually host an elegant Christmas Eve dinner with a few special guests followed by a party for many others later in the evening.  I get really "gussied up" for that night.  I won't go into details, because it would cause lots of eye rolling. LOL.  On Christmas day, I generally dress a little less fancy, as we all get together for a potluck after the show (there's always a performance on Christmas night at my theatre).  This potluck happens usually in the bar at the theatre (it's a nice bar, nothing seedy). It's a very festive couple of days.  

Sounds amazing @PeterDM !!!! My husband and I love going to see shows but never thought of going on Christmas Day. My mom used to work in several theatres on Broadway growing up so it has always been an important part of my life. I remember going to see the shows as a child. It was simply spectacular!! 

I'm going to make the suggestion to my husband. I do feel bad that employees like yourself cannot be with their families. My mom had to work on holidays also. But, it's such a beautiful time of year and it must be extra special to see a show on Christmas. In my culture, Christmas Eve is the more special day and that's when we get dressed up. So, for Christmas we would go to church and then spend the rest of the day with family and friends at home.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I have family over and my best friend and her husband.

I like to look nice but comfortable too.  I'll wear a nice top or sweater, with some nice coordinating jewelry (I have a lot so I might as well wear it thanks to the Q!) and either nice jeans or slim straight leg knit pants which look dressy but feel like pjs. On my feet I'll wear flats with a bit of sparkle.

Honored Contributor

I get German pasteries from the bakery and we wear jeans.  When the kids were small we were always out in the driveway with a bike or something!

Thanks for the memories!  Unique question!

Trusted Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

It's been years since I've gotten to spend Christmas with my family, because they live so far away, and my job does not allow me to travel on the holidays.  I spend the holidays with my employees, who are professional stage actors from NYC, and my coworkers.  I usually host an elegant Christmas Eve dinner with a few special guests followed by a party for many others later in the evening.  I get really "gussied up" for that night.  I won't go into details, because it would cause lots of eye rolling. LOL.  On Christmas day, I generally dress a little less fancy, as we all get together for a potluck after the show (there's always a performance on Christmas night at my theatre).  This potluck happens usually in the bar at the theatre (it's a nice bar, nothing seedy). It's a very festive couple of days.  

Sounds amazing @PeterDM !!!! My husband and I love going to see shows but never thought of going on Christmas Day. My mom used to work in several theatres on Broadway growing up so it has always been an important part of my life. I remember going to see the shows as a child. It was simply spectacular!! 

I'm going to make the suggestion to my husband. I do feel bad that employees like yourself cannot be with their families. My mom had to work on holidays also. But, it's such a beautiful time of year and it must be extra special to see a show on Christmas. In my culture, Christmas Eve is the more special day and that's when we get dressed up. So, for Christmas we would go to church and then spend the rest of the day with family and friends at home.

@NycVixen, just to clarify, although I did live and work in the theatre world in NYC for years, I live in Little Rock, AR, and I work for a professional theatre company that employs Broadway actors.  Still, we keep the same performance schedule as Broadway, and always perform on Christmas Day and have Christmas Eve off.  So, while we are still all far away from our families (as are the actors in NYC), we still make our own fun.  Seeing a musical on Christmas night is a great family tradition.  I would encourage everyone to think about it.  We produce a family friendly musical every year at the holidays as part of our season, and Christmas night is always packed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PeterDM wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

@NycVixen, just to clarify, although I did live and work in the theatre world in NYC for years, I live in Little Rock, AR, and I work for a professional theatre company that employs Broadway actors.  Still, we keep the same performance schedule as Broadway, and always perform on Christmas Day and have Christmas Eve off.  So, while we are still all far away from our families (as are the actors in NYC), we still make our own fun.  Seeing a musical on Christmas night is a great family tradition.  I would encourage everyone to think about it.  We produce a family friendly musical every year at the holidays as part of our season, and Christmas night is always packed.

@PeterDM Thanks for taking the time to clarify!! Your theatre company sounds awesome and so much fun. I appreciate the reassurance to go see a show on Christmas. I did feel guilty but now I'm even more excited! It would be a great tradition to begin. Thanks again.

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

Semi-casual dress at our house.  We serve Christmas breakfast to eight and Christmas dinner to 30, so we need to wear clothes that are fit for cooking and partying.  We used to dress up even more, but I can't stand that many hours in heels any longer.

Honored Contributor

Jean casual - why wear dress clothing and be uncomfortable?

Honored Contributor

When I was a kid, we stayed home and in the morning we opened our gifts and had breakfast while in our p.j.s  We didn't get dressed until later when we had some family over for dinner.  

Now, I go to my family's for dinner and we are very casual.  Everyone wears jeans, leggings,etc.  We crawl around on the floor with the kids to assemble and play with the new toys they got!!!  

Dinner is very casual.  We are casual people all the way around!  We dress for comfort - not speed -- as the old saying goes!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

It's a stay snuggled in your jammies day for us.

Esteemed Contributor

Probably dressy....after watching graddaughter open gifts...it is Church and a dinner with my brother's family and my daughter's family at my house.....