Honored Contributor

So how many here use window candles either for the holidays, or all year?

I have always used them, and had a large supply of electric ones that dated back to the 1980's and 90's. They had nice brass bases, and I loved them. I would put them in the windows in November and take them down in the spring with the windows were open again (no air here so windows open for about 6 months out of the year, and candles will blow over and break).

I got so tired of all the cords strung everywhere. My house looked like something out of a magazine from the outside, but like something from a horror movie from the inside! So I simply stopped using them a few years ago.  I hated not having them. I wanted battery operated ones, but I was used to having them on 24/7 (I love the look of them on during a dark rainy day). I simply couldn't imagine only having the battery ones on for a few hours per day. So I just watched and waited.

What I did have was a few of the chamberstick Luminaras, so one year, in my family room I put those in the windows and oh my, that was it, That is the look I wanted. But they were expensive, after awhile hard to find as well. The true end to that dream came when I realized that most of my window sills couldn't accommodate the size of the base. Bummed again.

Then last year, I had two choices I was considering. Luminara made a much smaller base window candle (made to run on battery and electric, woo hoo) and the VPH metal based window candles (battery only, and a bulb flickering instead of the flame effect).

I wanted the Luminara, but they come to basically twice the price. So I figured with the long return policy for CIJ items, I'd try the Valerie candles. 

Since this post is getting very long, I'll just say that they worked out great. The battery life was way longer than expected/stated, they seemed so bright but when faced properly (there is an inside and outside light and they outside is brighter) they look good from inside and from the road as well. 

I have just enough for all my windows, so should pick up an extra set this year as replacements. Replacement bulbs are available as well, and I got some of those. 

I am considering, because I have so many of the Luminara chambersticks, picking up enough of the smaller based ones to do the whole house in Luminara as well, and switch them every other year or so. My biggest concern there would be if the 'flame' color will be the same shade on these newer ones. If some are more orange/yellow and other more white, that would look terrible from the outside. 

Oh the decisions!

So, anyone else use window candles, what kind, and how do you like them?

Super Contributor

I have the Luminara ones that were a TSV a few years ago. I decided to put my sheers on the inside of my window frame, and hang my faux wood slat shades on the wall just for the candles. This way, the flickering is on the curtain even when the shades are down. It just looks do much better. They look good, and I have privacy.  

The cheapskate in me discovered that if I took an inexpensive cafe rod, took the end caps off, then once I was set on where to hang them install two screws to the inside sides of the window frame no none would be the wiser. I just put the sheers on the curtain rod, put the screw in the rod (it's hollow aluminum), adjust the rod shorter than what I needed so that it would come into the frame, then extend it so it had the other screw in the rod. 

The shades are hung above the window so the  window appears taller than it is. I just raise them so the are slightly lower than the gathers of sheer. That way it looks finished inside and out. 

Btw, have you thought if writing? Your story drew me in, and I'm not a reader!

Honored Contributor

I always liked the Bethlehem lights window candles but they had a yellowish light.  I've been looking for replacements that had a white light.  I found some in Ace Hardware for $3 each.  They are pretty good, but short.  I have enough for all windows.  I get them going in mid November and keep them on until the battery dies in February.  Still looking though.  I saw the Valerie ones, but they were a little high.  I tried luminara, but got a defective set.  I figured I'd wait a couple years for them to improve.  I will be keeping my eyes open this season.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

So how many here use window candles either for the holidays, or all year?

I have always used them, and had a large supply of electric ones that dated back to the 1980's and 90's. They had nice brass bases, and I loved them. I would put them in the windows in November and take them down in the spring with the windows were open again (no air here so windows open for about 6 months out of the year, and candles will blow over and break).

I got so tired of all the cords strung everywhere. My house looked like something out of a magazine from the outside, but like something from a horror movie from the inside! So I simply stopped using them a few years ago.  I hated not having them. I wanted battery operated ones, but I was used to having them on 24/7 (I love the look of them on during a dark rainy day). I simply couldn't imagine only having the battery ones on for a few hours per day. So I just watched and waited.

What I did have was a few of the chamberstick Luminaras, so one year, in my family room I put those in the windows and oh my, that was it, That is the look I wanted. But they were expensive, after awhile hard to find as well. The true end to that dream came when I realized that most of my window sills couldn't accommodate the size of the base. Bummed again.

Then last year, I had two choices I was considering. Luminara made a much smaller base window candle (made to run on battery and electric, woo hoo) and the VPH metal based window candles (battery only, and a bulb flickering instead of the flame effect).

I wanted the Luminara, but they come to basically twice the price. So I figured with the long return policy for CIJ items, I'd try the Valerie candles. 

Since this post is getting very long, I'll just say that they worked out great. The battery life was way longer than expected/stated, they seemed so bright but when faced properly (there is an inside and outside light and they outside is brighter) they look good from inside and from the road as well. 

I have just enough for all my windows, so should pick up an extra set this year as replacements. Replacement bulbs are available as well, and I got some of those. 

I am considering, because I have so many of the Luminara chambersticks, picking up enough of the smaller based ones to do the whole house in Luminara as well, and switch them every other year or so. My biggest concern there would be if the 'flame' color will be the same shade on these newer ones. If some are more orange/yellow and other more white, that would look terrible from the outside. 

Oh the decisions!

So, anyone else use window candles, what kind, and how do you like them?

@Mominohio  I have the Bethlehem Lights ones that another poster just mentioned.  I originally started out only setting them up during the holidays but have morphed into keeping them out all year long. I will say however that the battery life is nothing like the Luminaras I have. I think I am changing the batteries almost every month but I didn't want to spend the money to get another set. Let's see what comes out during CIJ and/or the months that follow and maybe I'll replace them but I love having them in my windows all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been on the "hunt" for window candles for years. The ones I have are from Bethlehem Lights many years ago. The sensors in them have been failing so I have half of them on timers.  I prefer to have the sensor mode on.  I like the fact that the base in heavy and is high enough so you can see the candle from the ourside.

A few years back in CIJ QVC had a set of LED candlestick window candles. I ordered two sets of these to use in the family room. They use C batteries and go thru them in 90 days. I like the look of them but they are plastic or some compound and I wish they were brass. I also wish they would use AA batteries because you seem to get a longer battery life.

I liked the look of the luminara candles but the battery life and the price stopped me. I kept looking at Valeries window candles but the amound of batteries and the fact that bulb controls the light had me concerned. If the bulb breaks do you risk the entire candle being broken?  The replacement bulbs are a bit pricey so that is also in the budget. I guess that I"m used to LED bulbs being silicone.  I'm interested in what everyone has to say that can compare the two types. I remember Valerie having mixed reviews on her window candles but maybe they have improved. I have a lot of windows and some I need multiple lights.  I really like all the windows to match with the lamps.

I'm anxious to read everyone's preference and reviews. Thanks in advance.

Trusted Contributor

I inherented my 1870 families farm. I have the old ones that had the 4 hour or 8 hour timers. I use the 4 hour timers all year, and they stay on for months. I have the same ones at my home I turn on  in October and leave on until spring. I also have the ones that they sold a few years ago that were indoor, out door that look like a lantern hanging on the garage that are on all year. I just love the homey feeling it gives our homes. I've had a few people fall asleep at my house especially after Thanksgiving.

Trusted Contributor

10 Luminara window candle tapers. All year round. love them!

Esteemed Contributor

Product DetailsI have these in my front windows.  They are my 2 empty bedrooms and stay dark so I put the candles in the windows so people will know somebody lives here!!!!

Love the homey feeling they provide.

Super Contributor

@Fressa

@I just ran across these. They say unscented, so I'm thinking they're wax. You'll need your own base. They each take 3 A

Screenshot_2016-07-15-23-35-35-1.png

Honored Contributor

We can't have window candles because it ruins the viewing for our home security cameras...