Honored Contributor

Re: What is the manageable amount of holiday decor

@DecorDiva wrote:

I have lived in my house now for 28 years and have collected Christmas decor even before that.  I like most every theme and like you, Mominohio, I like to pull stuff out and create new vignettes every year.  All my stuff is quality and not worn out, so it's hard to part with.  It's all in my basement and I need to get it better organized and stored better (like on shelves rather than bins stacked on top of each other).  Just when you think there couldn't be a cuter thing - there it is!  Deer are also a weakness as well as vintage decor.  @sweetee2 - I'm jealous you had a decorating job.  I often wish my job was creating vignettes so I could get paid for my creativity!  .

@DecorDiva

@sweetee2

I have, over the last several years, secretly wished I could work some how in an area where I was responsible for decorating in some fashion. 

I really enjoy it, and I think it would save me a ton of money and space to do it for other people or businesses. I could satisfy my creative side on someone else's dime!

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio - you and me both.  My secret fantasy is to attend the Market in either Atlanta or Highpoint, NC where all the retailers go to buy from the wholesalers.  I have heard from someone who went that it is builidng after building of home decor.  My current job offers little (make that none) in the way of creativity.  When I get together with my two older sisters, we like to do a craft of some kind.  This summer we made those concrete leaf basins.  I also long for the old HGTV that featured decorating shows.

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm fortunate that my weakness in Christmas decor are ornaments for on the tree , they don't take a lot of space to store and as long as you have a large enough tree you are all set. We have 10 1/2 ft ceilings so I can have a 9ft tall tree plus we have the space in our foyer for a large diameter tree so that is what we have 9ft tall and about 5 ft across. I probably have about a dozen nativity ornaments, plus 4 nativity sets that we put under the tree - each separate from the other - one that was my great grandparents - my grandparents and my parents then my DH's mother's. I bet people wonder why we have so many. I have another large ceramic lighted one that DH bought me for our first Christmas together which I put on the shelf of our entertainment center.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

The amount of decor I have isn't what I would call manageable at all but I love it.  I can't use all the ornaments I own as I have about 29 bins of them (the long plastic bins 110 qt. ) I easily own 70 tabletop vintage Christmas blow molds. Two nativities.

Last year I had five trees up this year I will have eight. Lots of large deep closets. If I buy any more it has to fold flat so it could be stuffed in a crevice lol

I wouldn't give anything up that I have but since I have a lot I have to be sensible about what I bring in because I do have so much so whatever I bring in has to truly be unique and something I haven't seen before.

I am definitely not a minimalist when it comes to Christmas decor with Halloween coming in second. I own more decor of all the holidays than I do clothes, jewelry, shoes or handbags.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a basement either. We used to store things in the attic, but thats was such a pain climbing up and down with boxes.

We bought an Amish made storage barn that looks nice in the backyard. It now stores all my decorations including my HUGE Christmas Village. 

Manageable for me is when I go in there for something and know right where it is..I am about 90% there.

I want to get rid of all the 'scary' Halloween stuff this years and just stick with cute ghosts, witches and pumpkins.

Frequent Contributor

My holiday decor is a work in progress.  I somehow keep accumulating more stuff when I probably should stop.  But, I hear that tiny little voice that says "It is just too stinkin' cute to pass up and it would look so great here." 

I did start two years ago with some plastic bins (hit up the sales when they were buy 2 get one free) and labeled everything with what tree it goes on so at least when my elves (DH and son) help me carry stuff they know the general area to carry them to.

It took some time but it was worth it.  Now if I happen to get sometihng new I know what bin to put it in when I put it away.  I did that for all my fall/halloween, Easter and Valentines decor too.

I feel very fortunate that all the bins can go into our basement storage area although it is getting quite full and probably should do a major sort through of stuff.  But all the decor is on shelves and the bins all stack nicely on them or in front them.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't ask me, I have several trees and can't seem to part with them.  I did buy new ornament boxes and they are great, they hold quite a bit.  I no longer store anything in my attic space and find I am slacking with my decorating.  It's probably time to get rid of some stuff.  

Last year I only put up 2 trees.  This year I will do just one. I didn't do anything outside last year except wreaths.

Respected Contributor

"Manageable" to me depends on storage space and the amount of decorating I can do before it starts to own me rather than me being in control, so to speak. I am happy with where I am at. I have gotten to the place where I can let go of things, especially when I have been able to upgrade, or if my taste has evolved and I no longer love a piece.

I thoroughly enjoy reading about everyone's decorating ideas, themes, and storage solutions. I really like the idea of leaving decor unpacked and sitting on shelves so it can be seen and easily retrieved. Plus seeing it all can give your creative juices a jump start by envisioning new, unexpected pairings. Sigh...i would have to do this in the garage, and that exposes everything to dust and spiders. Wish I had a nice big storage area under a stairwell or that unused bedroom closet that could be converted with shelving. But that is not my house. I do have a generous linen closet in my hallway and my everyday decor is stored like that. Maybe I should do a clear out of underloved items and start using a shelf or two for holiday.

Honored Contributor

3 OLD steamer trunks. One is for the tree, one is for the mantle and one is for the rest of the house. If I can't fit it into one of the trunks, it doesn't come into my house. Needless to say, I haven't purchased Xmas decor in some time.

Respected Contributor

I worked in a Christmas store. Need I say more. I had too much. Over the years I gave some to my daughter in law and to my granddaughters. I also sold some on eBay. I now have one container for each holiday. They are in the attic which means stairs.