Trusted Contributor

Thanksgiving Day Dinner Suggestions

[ Edited ]

We're going to my husband's father and step-mother's home for Thanksgiving.  They're both in their 90's.  They have care-givers that stay with them 24/7.   There will be about 7-8 people there for dinner.

There are no restaurants close by that will be open for Thanksgiving.  It looks as though I'll be in charge of the food.  I'm thinking of bringing a prepared meal from Honey Baked Hams.  They have a meal that includes a spiral cut ham, spiral cut turkey and some sides.

Has anyone purchased a similar type meal from Honey Baked Hams?  If yes, do you recommend?

Our local grocery stores also have turkey dinner meals advertised, but the turkey is whole.  My in-laws kitchen is small and I don't think I would feel comfortable trying to carve a turkey (which I have never done) in their kitchen so that is one of the reasons I was thinking of Honey Baked Ham.

Have any of you had a similar situation?  Where did you purchase a prepared holiday dinner that you and the family enjoyed?

Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Day Dinner Suggestions

My mom ordered Christmas dinner (Turkey and sides)last year from HBH.  You're paying for the convenience. The food was fine. We're not picky eaters and were happy to be together and that she took care of the food.

Valued Contributor

We have ordered from them & the food was decent. Think the sides were somewhat too salty but otherwise good. You do have lots of choices so it was hard to decide. . 

Respected Contributor

We're getting the take out Thanksgiving dinner from our local Shari's cafe, done it 2 years in a row. I'm over cooking all day, eating for 10 minutes and then cleaning the rest of the day for just the 2 of us. We love it

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

We usually get a Honey-baked ham for Christmas and I do a turkey breast for Thanksgiving. The sides at HBH are okay, but I think the sweet potatoes were the best.The real star there is the ham. I got the turkey there a few years ago along with the ham. It was good but the ham was better. 
I know places like Cracker Barrel have prepared ham or turkey dinners around the holidays also; if you have one that would be convenient you can order from there.

I do know wherever you decide to order from, do it soon. They all have deadlines and sometimes they are sold out even before that date. 

Trusted Contributor

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, their Thanksgiving dinner is fantastic and not any more expensive than other supermarkets that are not as good.  We've ordered from there a few times and I'd do it again if we weren't invited elsewhere.  Order online and pick up at the time you specify.  They're super organized at pickup time too. 

Valued Contributor

I think honeybaked ham is a great idea. You will also have lots of leftovers so get some nice rolls for sandwiches later. Costco's pumpkin pies are fabulous. You could get some of the other stuff, light, mayonnaise, milk, etc. delivered.

Respected Contributor

Haven't had the entire meal but when Covid hit, the company my husband worked for sent out a turkey or ham (your choice) from Honey Baked Ham.  We had the turkey a couple of times.  It was good.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

We're going to my husband's father and step-mother's home for Thanksgiving.  They're both in their 90's.  They have care-givers that stay with them 24/7.   There will be about 7-8 people there for dinner.

There are no restaurants close by that will be open for Thanksgiving.  It looks as though I'll be in charge of the food.  I'm thinking of bringing a prepared meal from Honey Baked Hams.  They have a meal that includes a spiral cut ham, spiral cut turkey and some sides.

Has anyone purchased a similar type meal from Honey Baked Hams?  If yes, do you recommend?

Our local grocery stores also have turkey dinner meals advertised, but the turkey is whole.  My in-laws kitchen is small and I don't think I would feel comfortable trying to carve a turkey (which I have never done) in their kitchen so that is one of the reasons I was thinking of Honey Baked Ham.

Have any of you had a similar situation?  Where did you purchase a prepared holiday dinner that you and the family enjoyed?

Just picked up my mail.  Got coupons for Honey Baked Ham.  $7 off Signture Bone In Half Ham 11/19 to 11/20  Code 728529  And $7 off Thanksgiving Meal 11/19 to 11/20  Code  728530

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy , THANK YOU so much for the coupon codes!!!   :-)