Honored Contributor

Talk me out of getting a real tree this year

We've had an artificial tree for more than 10 years because I'm allergic to pine. But I was at Costco today and they have absolutely beautiful noble fir trees ( my favorite) 8-9 feet tall for 46 dollars. That's an insanely good price. And these were gorgeous.

The only problem ( besides my allergies) is that I don't own a tree stand for a real tree anymore and I have two kittens this year ( plus my adult cats). Last time I had a real tree the cat climbed it and knocked it over and broke a bunch of ornaments and the village under the tree. The other problem is that they are only carrying the trees until Nov 25th and I know it's going to be dead and look like ****** by the time Christmas is finally here. 

sigh.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Re: Talk me out of getting a real tree this year

Sounds like you've already talked yourself out of it!  I was one of those brats that HAD to have a real tree every year, but then got tired of the mess and have had a fake tree for the last 15 years.  I am STILL finding pine needles along the baseboards!

Respected Contributor

I would have a real tree if not for everything you discussed - plus, save a tree - an artificial tree is better for the Earth. 

Trusted Contributor

I understand your dilemma.  What a great price on those trees!!

I have two cats (both senior) and a dog.  I've had both real and artificial.  I decided that since my cats like to try to get at the tree water, even though it is taped and covered, I made the decision to get an artificial tree last year.  One of my cats has some early stage  health issues, and I don't want to risk it.  Is there a place where you might be able to put a live tree......front porch or deck?  I know it's not the same.

Honored Contributor

One of my adults cats still climbs the artifical tree. He doesn't get very far, but he can occasionally be found 2-3 branches up from the bottom snuggled in or trying to climb higher. The branches just don't support him very well so he doesn't get far. Some of them light to sleep under it at night too because it's warmer there. 

Honored Contributor

@susan kay wrote:

I understand your dilemma.  What a great price on those trees!!

I have two cats (both senior) and a dog.  I've had both real and artificial.  I decided that since my cats like to try to get at the tree water, even though it is taped and covered, I made the decision to get an artificial tree last year.  One of my cats has some early stage  health issues, and I don't want to risk it.  Is there a place where you might be able to put a live tree......front porch or deck?  I know it's not the same.

I was off looking up how to keep cats out of the trees and read some stuff about the water being toxic for them to drink. I'm guessing it must be from something leeching from the tree into the water. I didn't realize that.

I could put the tree outside, it would probably do good out there since it's cold here in the winter and it would be beautiful when it snows. I could even docorate it with some natural things, for instance bird food type ornaments, fruit and seeds. 

Honored Contributor

You're right, that tree is going to look very bad by Christmas Day.  Dry, droopy, and losing a lot of needles.  Of course your allergies are going to kick in as soon as you bring the tree inside, so be prepared for whatever usually happens, to happen, and continue to happen until the tree is removed.   The cats will love the tree; they will sharpen their claws on the bark, climb in it and get tree allergens on their fur, then share that on all the other surfaces they touch in the house.  And of course they will knock ornaments off the tree.   Just in case you are still considering it, don't forget the bugs living in the tree, that are going to be drawn out by the heat inside your house.  Ticks love pine trees, but many other bugs lay their eggs under the bark as well, and once they hatch, you will know it.   

I vote for for an artificial tree.

Trusted Contributor

I don't miss the mess of a real tree at all. We got a beautiful artificial tree with pine cones and the look of snow on the tips of the branches several years ago. I can leave it up for as long as I want and not worry about the dropped needles. I am concerned this year because we have a 6 month old kitten that gets into everything, so I'm sure I'll be pulling her out of the tree on more than one occasion! 

Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

We've had an artificial tree for more than 10 years because I'm allergic to pine. But I was at Costco today and they have absolutely beautiful noble fir trees ( my favorite) 8-9 feet tall for 46 dollars. That's an insanely good price. And these were gorgeous.

The only problem ( besides my allergies) is that I don't own a tree stand for a real tree anymore and I have two kittens this year ( plus my adult cats). Last time I had a real tree the cat climbed it and knocked it over and broke a bunch of ornaments and the village under the tree. The other problem is that they are only carrying the trees until Nov 25th and I know it's going to be dead and look like ****** by the time Christmas is finally here. 

sigh.

Just read your own post, because you've already talked yourself out of it. The trees you saw are beautiful TODAY, but they'll just be fire hazards by Christmas. Stick with the artificial tree and if you have the money to burn on a real tree, buy a lovely decoration you can use year after year instead of a tree.

Honored Contributor

I know Chynna, but I really miss having a real tree.