Frequent Contributor

I love learning all of your storage techniques!  Mominohio, your method of grouping items sounds wonderful!  If you need 3 faux candles for a project, you can just grab them and off you go.

I might be able to clear out some cabinets to give me space to group things.

It would also help you see your "decorating inventory" at a glance and pick up anything you still need while it's on sale. 

Honored Contributor

@Happy In the South wrote:

I love learning all of your storage techniques!  Mominohio, your method of grouping items sounds wonderful!  If you need 3 faux candles for a project, you can just grab them and off you go.

I might be able to clear out some cabinets to give me space to group things.

It would also help you see your "decorating inventory" at a glance and pick up anything you still need while it's on sale. 

@Happy In the South

I can be such a dreamer! I was talking with my mom the other day, and I said if I was young, had the money to be designing a new home, or an addition to the current, I'd have a huge room, on the first floor that was what I'd call my 'Decor Pantry'.

It would be the size of a very large bedroom, have built in cabinets all along each wall, ceiling to floor, much like kitchen cabinets. I wouldn't want them to be too deep, because I'd organize all my unused decor by type, season etc inside the cabinets. This would keep them dust free, and out of sight, but right at hand to change up things any time I wanted/needed to. I'd have a big kitchen type island in the center of the room with storage underneath for crafting/wrapping projects, and the island would be a work center for making things (not that I'm a big crafter at all), wrapping gifts, or experimenting with a vignette before taking the pieces elsewhere in the house to be placed. 

This would save packing, unpacking, up and down stairs, and all the stuff that is taking too much time and energy at my age and current health.

I think so many of us have stuff we love and want to use, but it gets put away in the attic, basement, closet, etc. just anywhere we find space to tuck it. It is out of sight and out of mind, and even if we do think of it, we don't take the time or effort to dig it out and it becomes wasted space and wasted money.

My basement shelving idea (which I already have for a lot of my Temp-tations bakeware) is a compromise for what I'd really like (this great 'decor pantry'), but would be better than the packed up totes I have now.