Honored Contributor

Re: Southwest Christmas Decor

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624   I do not see anything that indicates their native state.  What am I missing?  

@millieshops    Saguaro Cactus are native to and are only found in Arizona, although they're often pictured as being throughout the Southwest. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Kachina624.  I will do a search, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kittyloo   I don't find a purple cactus as a Christmas tree cute or charming.  I take every opportunity to let the world know these cacti don't grow in NM as they're often pictured in movies and ads as part of our landscape. 

@Kachina624 They are also shown as growing here in Texas which they don't in art,  but since they are also native to Mexico (and that little bit of CA) they are displayed in art in authentic Mexican restaurants here.   

Texas State plant, the Pricky Pear cactus is native to Texas and produces yellow flowers in spring, hence, The Yellow Rose of Texas. 

Respected Contributor

I think they are cute in a kitschy sort of way.  

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac   I have prickly pear popping up all over my gravel yard.  Small pieces blow in and root.  I get rid of the fast as I don't want a big patch of them.  Once established, any cactus is very hard and expensive to get rid of. I also had a cholla cactus root and grow. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is really not all that bad.  Of course, everything is relative.

There are a couple places in our old New England town that would make mega carnival decor look dull.  And one house 

beats them all, with a gazillion blow up large creatures covering their lawn with garish lights.  And a lovely, large home in a rather expensive neighborhood.  I bet the owners think they attract so many cars to admire their taste.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, I found it on Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624They're cute in an offbeat way. I like the green one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Queen of shop    I'm sure @tansy   would be glad to give you the name where you can find one.  Looks like QVC missed a bet in not selling these instead of every version of the tree. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Queen of shop    I'm sure @tansy   would be glad to give you the name where you can find one.  Looks like QVC missed a bet in not selling these instead of every version of the tree. 

I just found them on Amazon. I read her post. lol

If you look on Amazon they also have cactus Christmas trees like a regular fir or Douglas. I laughed so hard. And here I thought my mom's 60's pink artificial tree was tacky.Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL She updated to a fake silver one in the 70's.

Funny....I can trace exactly where my love of weirdness comes from. Thanks mom. LOOOOL

Yes, it does seem like the Q missed the boat on this one. I would guarantee people would have bought it.Woman Wink Why not? They do have a bajillion types of ceramic trees. *can we say overkill*. Ha.