Honored Contributor

Re: Should I add owls and birds to my tree?

@crazycockermom  I would add some large ball, finial or onion shaped ornaments and birds, owls and definitively some cedar or other picks.  I love a lot of  ornaments on my tree. 

Another thing that will add to your tree scene would be tying some bows for your packages.  But, that's just me.

There are so many places that sell inexpensive tree decor that will add so much to it.  Dollar Tree has four inch MG looking ball ornaments @$1 each. Walmart usually has some that are owls, butterflies, birds and others for about $1.50 each.  Just look around for what you love and add as you find those.

I hope above everything else you will do your tree to please yourself.  We are just giving options since you asked for them.  I love your egg ornaments and your tree is  very pretty.  Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Skmominohio wrote:

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@crazycockermom

I like all of your choices but I think the mg birds especially would go well with your beautiful JR eggs. 

The glitzy birds would be great too if you can get the right color.

To me, the snowy owls & birds in the nests are a little more woodsy & not quite as elegant as your eggs.

That being said, I read things here every day that I would have never thought to try & they end up looking amazing LOL!!!

Good luck, your tree is beautiful! It's so much fun isn't it?

I could have written this post @ChiliPepper and @crazycockermom

I think your tree, as pictured has a very elegant and minimalist (that's a good thing!) look. 

It seems today, trees are being 'designed' to cover the entire surface, so one doesn't even see the tree itself anymore. And while that looks good when properly done, I think many of us assume that we now have to have our trees completely packed to be in vogue.

I contend that we don't. So don't buy into the current practice of jamming the tree beyond recognition if you are leaning on filling it up simply because that is today's 'look'.

That said, there is still plenty of room on your tree to expand if you wish, without it being overly full, in my opinion. I, like ChiliPepper, think that because of those beautiful eggs, something slightly more elegant might be better. I like the idea of some MG birds, never been a fan of the feathery owl look, but when they are white, they are indeed elegant, and birds nests based on the core of what your tree is now, not so much.

I just recently discovered picks. They come in such a wide variety of styles, colors, themes, and sizes, that I'd recommend looking at something like that first.

Our Hobby Lobby  has so many choices, and the prices and selection are much better than anything sold on Q. You can buy them, take them home and work them into your tree, and if you don't love it, take them right back. 

What I discovered with picks as well, is that I can tie an entire room or house together with them. I have purchased enough to fill in the gaps on my tree, and have matching ones decorate wreaths and swags for the entire main floor of the house. It makes things look like they all are matching/coordinating. And I even have enough to scatter among the other decor as tiny swags or fillers. 

So my first recommendation would be to look and and consider an elegant and not overly large (don't want to reduce those beautiful eggs to not being noticeable) pick or maybe even two complimenting styles. 

@Mominohio

Thank you for your detailed response.  Smiley Happy

I have never been one for packed trees.  My tree used to be a hodge podge of favorite memorable ornaments and I liked that.  It was enjoyable for me to look at.  Especially since my mom, my first husband, and now recently my stepmom have passed, I am very sentimental about such things.  

Anyway, as I collected more and more eggs, my tree took a more elegant turn.  I like being able to see the various ornaments.  When a tree is too packed, they get lost, imo.  That being said, I can see where others may think my tree looks empty.  I swear though, as I am putting the last few ornaments on, I have a hard time finding room for them.  That's why I thought a little bit of filler like birds might fill in some empty spaces.

I did pick up some of Valerie's antique ball picks in red and gold, not knowing where I'd use them.  Thought maybe the red ones in garlands and the gold on the tree.   Now I'm wondering if I should pick up more before it's too late.  Would you stick to one color of picks for the tree?  Which color(s)?  Same question about the birds.  Stick with gold or white?   I like silver ones but not sure they'd go as well.  

Unfortunately I don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby.  I have most of the other usual stores though. 

Thanks again for your input and appreciating my minimalist look.  I am an engineer so I think my tree, etc. reflect that.  It's hard for me to step out of the box on my own.  My mom was great at design, me not so much, so opinions are very helpful.  

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@crazycockermom

Did you see H203470? It comes in gold or silver

@ChiliPepper  Love these.  I bought five boxes, at least, of the white last year for my flocked white tree, along with the red mercury glass birds, red deer, white glittered bow and wreath ornaments, and Valeries red burst picks, can't remember the proper name.  Two huge white owls sit near the top, and a red velvet and another material ruffled tree skirt.  This year I will add Valerie's red jeweled milk glass ornaments, gorgeous when the white lights are on, I left the tree up so was able to try them out as soon as I received them. Smiley Happy  This tree is in my red room.

I really like these too, just wish the white were still available.  Not sure if the gold ones are too gold.  But I suppose I could at least try one box.  Your tree sounds beautiful!  

Respected Contributor

@sparklestar

Thanks!  I will check out Pier One.  I really like the little owls just didn't know if they went with my other ornaments.  As much as I like the little brown owls, I think if I'm going to try them I should get the white ones.  

@GCR18

I check Valerie's as is items daily (I've become recently addicted), but I'll definitely keep a lookout for the MG birds.  Thanks!

@Nataliesgramma

Thanks!  I'll check out JoAnnes and Michaels too. I'm a wuss though as I get in those stores and get overwhelmed.  

@ID2

I know my tree looks empty, but I really do run out of room when I'm putting on ornaments!   I have a hard time finding spots for them all.  But I mentioned in another post, I'm an engineer, so yes, they are strategically placed. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@crazycockermom  I would add some large ball, finial or onion shaped ornaments and birds, owls and definitively some cedar or other picks.  I love a lot of  ornaments on my tree. 

Another thing that will add to your tree scene would be tying some bows for your packages.  But, that's just me.

@There are so many places that sell inexpensive tree decor that will add so much to it.  Dollar Tree has four inch MG looking ball ornaments @$1 each. Walmart usually has some that are owls, butterflies, birds and others for about $1.50 each.  Just look around for what you love and add as you find those.

I hope above everything else you will do your tree to please yourself.  We are just giving options since you asked for them.  I love your egg ornaments and your tree is  very pretty.  Enjoy.

Thanks lucymo.  I do have other ornaments, just not the room for them unless I really crowd them in.  I think birds and picks are the way to go, to add some filler.  Yes, bows on my presents would help.  I was lazy last year, lol.  But, we had no one over.   Now since my stepmom passed, I'll have Christmas this year so will do a better job on the presents.  Smiley Happy

My stepmom would wrap empty boxes and add pretty bows just to make her tree scene look pretty.  As you can tell from my wrapping paper, I wasn't too concerned about that.  Ha! 

Thanks for for your ideas!

Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom

I too have one tree that is the mix of my entire lifetime collection of ornaments. I love the memories it brings, and make sure to put up a tree with those, but usually in the family room now. My living room tree is going more elegant.

You can't go wrong with gold only pics as your ribbons are gold based. I'd start there, and see what I thought of the look. It is hard to see the detail of the eggs, and I don't know how the various 'reds' of those eggs and the red pics might or might not match.

If when you get the gold all in, it seems kind of blah, try adding the red. I think you'll know pretty quickly which way pleases your senses. 

I have just started experimenting with doing different holiday decor in the last couple of years. Having fun trying new things and ideas I never would have thought of before. I can tell you are as well! Enjoy the process. Please post a new pic with the gold and or red picks inserted if you choose to use them there!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio
Thanks so much for replying again. I wish I had room for a second tree to display those memorable ornaments. Hmm...maybe I can find a place in the family room for a small one. Just have to hope the dogs wouldn't mess with it. I put up gates to the living room at Christmastime so they can't mess with my decorations. They are pretty good though.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions. I think I will pick up another set of the gold picks to add in the tree. Will experiment with the red ones and see how it goes. The egg ornaments are all sorts of colors so I think tthe red may go? A pop of color may be nice, but we'll see how it goes.

It is fun experimenting, just a little more difficult to do so when buying online.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom wrote:

@sparklestar

Thanks!  I will check out Pier One.  I really like the little owls just didn't know if they went with my other ornaments.  As much as I like the little brown owls, I think if I'm going to try them I should get the white ones.  

@GCR18

I check Valerie's as is items daily (I've become recently addicted), but I'll definitely keep a lookout for the MG birds.  Thanks!

@Nataliesgramma

Thanks!  I'll check out JoAnnes and Michaels too. I'm a wuss though as I get in those stores and get overwhelmed.  

@ID2

I know my tree looks empty, but I really do run out of room when I'm putting on ornaments!   I have a hard time finding spots for them all.  But I mentioned in another post, I'm an engineer, so yes, they are strategically placed. Smiley Happy

@crazycockermom  I don't think your tree is empty.  We are just looking at a picture and some of the beautiful JR egg ornaments just don't show up as well in the picture as they would in person.  So we are not seeing the full impact of the tree decor.  I'm sure it's beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

I think your tree was perfect the way it was last year. Sometimes trees get so overloaded that they no longer look like "trees". I am addicted to snowy owls and have several that I display around my home, but prefer my tree to be more on the pristine side. JMO

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@lucymo
Thanks - it definitely looks emptier in pics than it does in person. I agree that the eggs don't show up as well. But, there are some empty spaces that I thought would be perfect with birds or owls or picks. Just gotta figure out which colors.

@pattypeep
Thank you! I don't care for the overloaded trees. Sometimes there are so many decorations you can barely see the branches. lol. Since you like snowy owls, do you have the Home Reflections ones, H205946? I've had my eye on those. I know they aren't white and fluffy, but I think they are cute.