Honored Contributor

Re: Should I add owls and birds to my tree?

@crazycockermom

I like all of your choices but I think the mg birds especially would go well with your beautiful JR eggs. 

The glitzy birds would be great too if you can get the right color.

To me, the snowy owls & birds in the nests are a little more woodsy & not quite as elegant as your eggs.

That being said, I read things here every day that I would have never thought to try & they end up looking amazing LOL!!!

Good luck, your tree is beautiful! It's so much fun isn't it?

Respected Contributor

@gellergirl
Thanks for the info! Love those owls. The small long eared ones are adorable!!

@Kachina624
Thanks for the info! I'll remember that next time.

@twinny
Thanks for responding. Going to have to get the little owls. A big owl as a tree topper is a neat idea. So are the acorns.

I don't get tired of my ornaments. I look forward to unwrapping and admiring them all each year. However, I do like to change it up or add something nothing new each year. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper
Thanks for your input! I was sort of thinking the same thing, not sure if the woodsy items would fit in as well with the eggs. But they could look cute. Who knows til ya try it. Lol

Any recommendations as to which color MG birds?

I'm really hoping they bring back the glitzy ones or at least bring some back like them. Thanks!
Respected Contributor

The last two/three Xmases I've started adding birds including fluffy white owls, feathery birds, and glizy ones.  Also woodland animals all of which I purchased at Pier One.  I never thought I'd go for something like that but I'm really loving it.

Honored Contributor

I think the MG birds would fit in.  I think though, I would hold out a little bit.  They were recently in as is for $14.

Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom

Did you see H203470? It comes in gold or silver

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@crazycockermom

Did you see H203470? It comes in gold or silver

@ChiliPepper  Love these.  I bought five boxes, at least, of the white last year for my flocked white tree, along with the red mercury glass birds, red deer, white glittered bow and wreath ornaments, and Valeries red burst picks, can't remember the proper name.  Two huge white owls sit near the top, and a red velvet and another material ruffled tree skirt.  This year I will add Valerie's red jeweled milk glass ornaments, gorgeous when the white lights are on, I left the tree up so was able to try them out as soon as I received them. Smiley Happy  This tree is in my red room.

Esteemed Contributor

You can also just add some glittery picks. The craft stores and JoAnn Fabrics all have pretty ones........

Honored Contributor

Beautiful tree but way too empty!! Put some ornaments on that tree! Your tree looks too "perfect", all the ornaments are strategically placed. I have many ornaments I've made over the years. When my tree is all done and decorated, its pretty full! I, personally, don't care for empty trees. So yes, go ahead and add owls, birds and anything else to fill up your beautiful tree!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@crazycockermom

I like all of your choices but I think the mg birds especially would go well with your beautiful JR eggs. 

The glitzy birds would be great too if you can get the right color.

To me, the snowy owls & birds in the nests are a little more woodsy & not quite as elegant as your eggs.

That being said, I read things here every day that I would have never thought to try & they end up looking amazing LOL!!!

Good luck, your tree is beautiful! It's so much fun isn't it?

I could have written this post @ChiliPepper and @crazycockermom

I think your tree, as pictured has a very elegant and minimalist (that's a good thing!) look. 

It seems today, trees are being 'designed' to cover the entire surface, so one doesn't even see the tree itself anymore. And while that looks good when properly done, I think many of us assume that we now have to have our trees completely packed to be in vogue.

I contend that we don't. So don't buy into the current practice of jamming the tree beyond recognition if you are leaning on filling it up simply because that is today's 'look'.

That said, there is still plenty of room on your tree to expand if you wish, without it being overly full, in my opinion. I, like ChiliPepper, think that because of those beautiful eggs, something slightly more elegant might be better. I like the idea of some MG birds, never been a fan of the feathery owl look, but when they are white, they are indeed elegant, and birds nests based on the core of what your tree is now, not so much.

I just recently discovered picks. They come in such a wide variety of styles, colors, themes, and sizes, that I'd recommend looking at something like that first.

Our Hobby Lobby  has so many choices, and the prices and selection are much better than anything sold on Q. You can buy them, take them home and work them into your tree, and if you don't love it, take them right back. 

What I discovered with picks as well, is that I can tie an entire room or house together with them. I have purchased enough to fill in the gaps on my tree, and have matching ones decorate wreaths and swags for the entire main floor of the house. It makes things look like they all are matching/coordinating. And I even have enough to scatter among the other decor as tiny swags or fillers. 

So my first recommendation would be to look and and consider an elegant and not overly large (don't want to reduce those beautiful eggs to not being noticeable) pick or maybe even two complimenting styles.