Honored Contributor

Re: SPRING AND SUMMER ARE THE TIME FOR COLORFUL POTTERY

This could not be more fun--  thank you all for responding, and describing and/or posting pictures of your treasures.

@OKPrincess ,  oh, definitely.   Your Fiesta, both new and vintage, would blend so well with mine.  Similar "feeling", and I'm often drawn to both Fiesta and Harlequin, another dinnerware line by Homer Laughlin, I think...

@MJDinVegas ,   all three are wonderful.   My hazy impression is that Rookwood pottery is very valuable.  The vigorous, twisting lines of the Colorado piece also remind me of some of the best, early art pottery.

Wow, @MJDinVegas --  your clock!!   Total drama.  What a superb venue for display of your pieces.   And your last pictures of  hand-crafted pottery have such vitality and earthiness.  I've seen Rowe Pottery online--beautiful.  

@AuntG ,   oh, boy, I'm always so tempted by both clear and colored glass too, but since I started out in pottery, I have restricted myself to only a few glass pieces.  Yours sound great-- the pastel pieces, oh my.  By the way, I don't know Helen Atlas dinnerware, but a palette of red, gray, mustard and turquoise sounds is so striking.

@alliswell ,  the whimsy and artistry and vibrant colors of your bowl are just enchanting.  It must be hard not to snap up every piece there is.  Perfect for this season-- do you have it out right now? 

@Marsha2003 ,  I so admire Royal Crown Derby porcelain.   The buildings ring a bell with me-- I just looked them up.  Beautiful!  Anything "architectural" in ceramics appeals to me.   I can see why they are the thing you had to hang onto.

Thanks so much everyone in the thread for responding with thoughts, and also sharing what you collect and how you display--  love hearing about it!      

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell , thank you for your kind reply.  I find pieces like this help me remain connected to family and places that were magical when we lived there.  I have other pieces, sculptures, from our time in KC and glass pieces formed on lava rock and a container fashioned from palm from when we lived in Waikoloa on the Big Island.

Honored Contributor

Oznell, the photos of the pottery pieces are stunning, beautiful designs, lovely colors.  You can display them in any room and they would stand out, whether filled with florals or not, just impressive pieces.  I especially love the Weller ceramic basket!!!  You don't need a lot of decor when you have pieces such as you have around the house!  Pieces such as you showed in the photos deserve to be eye catching!

I have a few collections but my favorite pieces are the ones my mother bought and now are mine.  I have  Limoges pieces, Coalport china and Limoge china.  The antiques are in a breakfront and they are lovely.  One of my father's close friends had antiques which he sold  and he gave my mother some pieces , that was the start of her love for it all.  

These are the collections I want to pass down to family as my mother passed to me.  They have beauty and meaning.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell , I am going a bit off topic but I thought I'd share the art I mentioned from Hawaii.  The first three are ones I mentioned glass formed over lava and the  palm container.  The last is a mosaic I made under the tutelage of Alex Gupton, a mosaic artist who has done marvelous mosaics, one of which graces the Alauni resort on Oahu.

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@spiderw ,   Limoges and Coalport--  two such venerable china houses.  Love their things-- some of the best of both English and French.   You are the ideal 'keeper' of your mother's treasures, since you have such passion for them yourself, (as I well know from other posts of yours) and display nicely in your breakfront for daily appreciation. 

What fascinating, artful objects, @MJDinVegas .  I'd never heard of glass over lava, gorgeous, or that palm could be used in that way, for that matter.   Your mosaic is stunning-- and love the colors you put together!  

Trusted Contributor

A few things my mom brought home from Japan with me so the are all at least 70 years old. 

There are a pair of the hands holding the vase, and there are 6 of the plates with cups, the Swan Vase has matching candle holders, and the large vase is one my father made before his death 40 years ago. Dad's vase.jpgSwan Vase.jpgteapot.

Vase no visible mark.jpgplate1.jpg

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@alliswell ,  the whimsy and artistry and vibrant colors of your bowl are just enchanting.  It must be hard not to snap up every piece there is.  Perfect for this season-- do you have it out right now? 

@Oznell  It can be a challenge trying balance items that are "playful, and whimsical" with the "serious, practical" ones.

These Romy & Clare vases caught my eye:

Large Vase  Handcarved Stoneware Ceramic Vase  Black and image 1

Vase Vessel  Handcarved Stoneware Ceramic and Mosaic Vase  image 1

Respected Contributor

All are beautiful Oznell but my favorites are the green tulip shaped vase and the lovely blue ceramic basket.

I have several lladro pieces which my mother and aunt gave me after their trip to Spain many years ago. I have them on display in my living room curio cabinet. I also have a wedgewood portrait of JFK which I inherited.

My most prize possession is an Orrefors Girl Moon Stars crystal vase that my mother gave me. I will never part with it.

I cannot post pictures but thank you everyone for posting your treasures.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful, meaningful pieces, @We rescue cats .  I love coming across various types of Japan ware when I prowl antique stores--  have a strong affinity for the delicate colors and motifs, and yours are no exception!  How talented your Dad was to make that vase, my goodness.

@alliswell ,  those vases have the same charming, but modern and spritely spirit that your bowl does-- they are fabulous.  I will be looking up Romy and Clare.  I also love pieces that incorporate black and white....

@DSD2 ,   Lladro has such a wistful, exquisite feeling-- I love the ethereal pieces of it I've seen, including what @ECBG has posted.   How lucky you are to have a piece of Orrefors, and it sounds exquisite.  Scandinavian crystal is another thing to which I"m drawn. 

So much beauty, so little time and space...