Respected Contributor

Review of VPH 3 glass pillars and candle rings

I ordered the set of 3 russet glass pillars (H215427) and also the set of candle rings (H214956). 

I also ordered the pumpkin carriage and thought I'd put the smallest glass pillar inside with the candle rings around it.

All 4 items arrived yesterday and when attempting to put the candle ring around the pillar, it would not fit.  I re-watched the video of how VPH and Carolyn showed them putting the candle ring around the glass pillar.  They also stated it was 4" in diameter.

Upon measuring mine, both measured 3 3/4" and no way would fit around the pillars. 

I also ordered a set of 2 of the 8" glass hurricane with the fall floral ring at the closet out price.  Very disappointed in both of them as the floral ring is somehow permanently attached and will not move.  It's placed at least 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the hurricane.  When I sit these on my mantle, they look stupid.  I even tried sitting them on the VPH pedestals I have and look even more stupid.  I thought about trying to detach them, but have decided it's not worth it.  Apparently, I should've read the reviews since many others said the same thing.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep the 3 glass pillars as I was going to use them with the floral ring around them.  Even if I found some different ones, there's no guarantee they will fit.

I'm beginning to think I am soon done with her things; the quality is not what it used to be IMO.

Sorry for the long rant.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Review of VPH 3 glass pillars and candle rings

@HisElk1 ~ No need to apologize for your rant.  I had one myself a few days ago regarding an item of Valerie's I received.  

I'm sorry your things didn't work out.  For me, aside from quality issues, I need nothing.  I have more than enough decor to last me a lifetime but yes, it's always fun to add something new to the mix.

I think it's important we share our experiences here, both good and bad.  It will help others and even help someone like me who has more than enough think twice before ordering.  It's always good to save the hassle of returning items.  :-)

Respected Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@HisElk1 ~ No need to apologize for your rant.  I had one myself a few days ago regarding an item of Valerie's I received.  

I'm sorry your things didn't work out.  For me, aside from quality issues, I need nothing.  I have more than enough decor to last me a lifetime but yes, it's always fun to add something new to the mix.

I think it's important we share our experiences here, both good and bad.  It will help others and even help someone like me who has more than enough think twice before ordering.  It's always good to save the hassle of returning items.  :-)

@Julie928, I just got done reading about your stackable pumpkins.  I thought about ordering them, but the price was just too high with the shipping, etc.

I, too have enough to last quite awhile, mostly VPH things.  I ordered alot last year and kept every item and enjoy them.  I am just disappointed in how the quality control is on these items.  I went on VPH's facebook page and posted about this experience; I have no idea how or if she will respond.  IMO, VPH really does need to know and hopefully do something about it if she wants to keep her customers.

Yes, about the returning; I hate it too and then one has to wait until it's received and they get around to crediting your account.  I keep a watchful eye on my credit card for those returns.

Esteemed Contributor

@HisElk1, If you return the rings, mark as defective so you'll get full credit, because there is plenty of info from the description and video to back up how they are not sized as described.  

If you really want to keep them, just a reminder that you maybe able to cut out some of the innermost grapevine pieces, or even cut the entire ring through, and it may fit then.  Worth a try.  They look perfect for the carriage and also with the leaf pillars.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

@HisElk1, If you return the rings, mark as defective so you'll get full credit, because there is plenty of info from the description and video to back up how they are not sized as described.  

If you really want to keep them, just a reminder that you maybe able to cut out some of the innermost grapevine pieces, or even cut the entire ring through, and it may fit then.  Worth a try.  They look perfect for the carriage and also with the leaf pillars.  

@SHOPRThanks.  I did call CS and report the rings along with the other 2 hurricanes I purchased.  The rep said, well sounds like they are all defective and made a note to return my original shipping on both.  

I thought about your idea until I realized there's a chance they could literally fall apart and then I'd have no choice but to keep them.  With the total coming to just under $29, I don't want to take the chance on cutting them apart.  

I ended up going on a popular gift store's website and found a 4" eucalyptus ring that I already have from last year that would fit, so I may end up going there to get one and it's $8.  

I appreciate your suggestion; just a bit afraid to cut them and not able to return if I screw them up.

Honored Contributor

I noticed the same thing you state about the hurricane with the ring attached. It was off putting to me right away on air, and I didn't order.

My mom did order one, and they are really awful looking the way you can see the base of the hurricane. If the ring was of good quality wired pieces, you could easily bend things down and into place, but none of the components in it are wired.

I got the original candle rings to this set a couple of years ago and was terribly disappointed in the fact that there was no way to shape them and have the components say in place. I thought the garland, wreath and picks to this set were pretty but I just won't do it because they aren't wired and can't be placed.

I've had issues with several of her rings too. Some are way to big to stay on her MG candle holders or are constantly crooked because they are so big, others so tight you can't get a candle in them. Frustrating to say the least. 

Respected Contributor

@HisElk1, I totally agree about those candle rings. I just got them and the inside diameter of mine may be smaller then yours! I was hoping they would fit around a Bath and Body Works (or similar) three wick candle. Okay, maybe that was a bit of a stretch on my part. The candles are just a hair over 4 inches. The candle rings are advertised to have a 4 inch inner circumference. NO WAY! They would not even come close to fitting. And how disappointing for you that they wouldn't even fit the VPH item they were presented with!!! I will say they have a decent, nice, full look for the price. But still.....

Today I happened to be surfing around the Bath and Body Works sight and found that they do have a candle ring that fits their three wick candles. Who knew? Not me. It is expensive, $24.50 for ONE ring! I have not seen it in person but just might try to check it out if they offer it in store. At least there I could stick the candle in it and make sure they aren't "fibbing" about the dimensions. Ha! FWIW, image is below. It actually looks a little too big in scale for the candle in the picture. 

Pumpkin 3-Wick Candle Ring - Bath And Body Works

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I noticed the same thing you state about the hurricane with the ring attached. It was off putting to me right away on air, and I didn't order.

My mom did order one, and they are really awful looking the way you can see the base of the hurricane. If the ring was of good quality wired pieces, you could easily bend things down and into place, but none of the components in it are wired.

I got the original candle rings to this set a couple of years ago and was terribly disappointed in the fact that there was no way to shape them and have the components say in place. I thought the garland, wreath and picks to this set were pretty but I just won't do it because they aren't wired and can't be placed.

I've had issues with several of her rings too. Some are way to big to stay on her MG candle holders or are constantly crooked because they are so big, others so tight you can't get a candle in them. Frustrating to say the least. 

@Mominohio, I can't believe what I just read; I posted on VPH's facebook page about these 2 items and explained to her.  She literally said and I am quoting" _______(my name), the rings are flexible and should be able to fit around the pillars."  This is what I wrote - "If you look at the item I purchased, they are attached on a thick grapevine ring and are not flexible enough to stretch that far. I don't want to take the chance to break it; the description on QVC said 4" and it was in the video that you slipped on from the top. You said it was the easiest way to put them on.

There is no way they will fit; both DH and I tried - a grapevine wreath is what they are attached to and it's thick; it will not stretch.  If this is how she's going to answer her customers, I am done ordering.  It clearly states the opening is 4" and the extra 1/4" is needed.  I don't care what she says.  

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped, thanks; I really appreciate your post.  And yours being smaller than mine shows the lack of QC.

I will say it was a nice ring and very full; if it had worked around the pillars, I'd have kept them.

The picture of the one you show is pretty, but very pricey.

What frustrates me is what VPH posted on FB to me about how they are flexible - grapevine wreaths are not flexible.  I've made a few wreaths using the grapevine wreath with other flowers and used a hot glue gun.  No way are they flexible.  If she actually took a look at the item I ordered and how they are attached, she'd know.  They are not flexible like some of her others. 

For the first time, I decided to write a review on Q about these rings and mine is the only one.  However, it said it can take up to 5 days to appear.  We'll see if they actually post it.    

Esteemed Contributor

I rarely order anything from her because I just don't need any more of anything.  Are any of you sending her messages on FB?  I don't know how receptive she is to receiving bad reviews, but that is what I would do, as well as letting her know which items that people really liked.  I would think that too many returns would not bode well for a vendor, but who knows.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!