Regular Contributor

Question about Christmas Tree Picks

I have never bought picks for my Christmas trees before...they are very pretty and am considering getting some this year. However, I have real trees. Does that matter? I am wondering if since the branches are not perfect like artificial, they may not lay properly or possibly fall to the floor? Also, if you have any suggestions on how to get them to "stay in place", that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Christmas Tree Picks

Usually they are quite long. They will slid into the middle of your tree.

Respected Contributor

Green florist wire is my go to item.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did picks on my tree for the first time last year, and I love what they can do for a tree.

Usually the picks are long enough to be held in simply by placing them into the branches. You can use the floral wire another poster mentioned if you need to wire some of them on.

The main suggestion I have for you is to look at Hobby Lobby (or other similar stores) once their Christmas goes on sale for 50% off (which is way before the holiday season). They have the biggest selection and great styles at good prices once that sale starts.

I know a lot of people like the picks here, but I think they are overpriced for what you get, and not a lot of choice here.

edited to add:

And buy more than you think you will need (you can always return them if you don't use them) as once you start with them, you always wish you had more to fill it in fully. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @michigangirl723.  I've been using picks to decorate my tree for many years.  Whether you use a fresh or artificial tree, the needles on your tree sort of act as "grabbers" which aid in holding the picks in place.  I don't think you'll need any kind of floral wire to tie your picks to the tree.  They should sit nice and securely with the help of your tree's branches on their own.  

Having shopped around, I can relate that QVC usually has the best picks in terms of size, density, and overall quality.  If you do decide to check out the craft stores, I think you'll find that Michaels is best in terms of the size of the picks alone.  Hobby Lobby does have a selection of picks, but the ones they put out specifically for the holidays are usually on the smaller side and are intended more for floral arrangements rather than the decorating of your tree.  Michaels offers a wider variety of larger sized ones that will be better suited for your tree.  Even on sale, these picks can be pricey, and in my experience, you'll pay just as much from QVC including shipping and handling as you would in a store. So, my advice would be to keep any eye out for the holiday decor shows on QVC, but also sign up for emails from Michaels.  Keep an eye out for their sales beginning around the end of October.  Their picks sell out quickly, so visit as early and often as you can.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@michigangirl723 wrote:

I have never bought picks for my Christmas trees before...they are very pretty and am considering getting some this year. However, I have real trees. Does that matter? I am wondering if since the branches are not perfect like artificial, they may not lay properly or possibly fall to the floor? Also, if you have any suggestions on how to get them to "stay in place", that would be great! Thanks in advance!

@michigangirl723  In addition to what others have posted, Pier1 has beautiful picks also.  During their sale close to and after Christmas, they are practically free. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Mominohio...buy mre than you think you will need....The first time I used picks...I ran back to Hobby Lobby TWICE and I was sweating the whole time that they wouldn't have any left....LOL

I even add some of the same picks that I am using for my tree in my garland on the fireplace.....

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I agree with @Mominohio...buy mre than you think you will need....The first time I used picks...I ran back to Hobby Lobby TWICE and I was sweating the whole time that they wouldn't have any left....LOL

I even add some of the same picks that I am using for my tree in my garland on the fireplace.....

Agree!

I did the exact same thing.  Back to Hobby Lobby multiple times! 

I too use the same picks in wreaths garlands and on trays and other vignettes to make a really nice cohesive look.

@