Valued Contributor

Most Cherished Christmas Ornament

I have many that have great sentimental value, but the one I cherish the most is a brass ornament that McDonald's sold many years ago.  

My father took me to McDonald's for dinner often as a child.   As a joke, I would give him a book of McDonald's gift certificates every Christmas,  knowing he would spend them on me.  

One year, he surprised me with that ornament.  He's been gone over 20 years, but I get such a warm feeling every year that I put it on my tree.

What is/are yours?

Respected Contributor

Re: Most Cherished Christmas Ornament

@Chopsmom   I have several beautiful ornaments, personalized and otherwise.  I have Lenox and Precious Moments and Disney.  I also have many sentimental ones that were passed down to me from my parents.  But my most cherished ones are the ones that my children made in school with the help of their teachers.  

They are little picture frame squares that were made with popsicle sticks.  The picture inside is a photo their teacher took of them in kindergarten.  I look at the pics and wonder where the time went.  Apparently the years flew by as I blinked.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Super Contributor

The first Christmas ornament that my DH and I bought.  They sold them at Hallmark stores with the year on it.  It was 1980 for us. ❤️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both my sister and I were given litttle angel ornaments.Mine has light hair and her's dark. The angel is sitting on a golden star. I was probably around 2, so here we are 68 years later and she's still on my little tree.

Super Contributor

I have four Baby's First Christmas ornaments. One daughter's is a raccoon. She loved Meeko from the Pochahantas movie. Maybe the ornament inspired her? The other three are the silky wrapped type. Each one so different. At some point I will hand them over.
Respected Contributor

Most cherished Christmas things:  dozens of satin Christmas balls with hand-applied jewels and braid that my MIL made and gave us.

DH took 4 long branches of a very tall artificial tree and created one gigantic wreath.  I hand wired all the ornaments his mother gave us and a few special gifted ornaments from coworkers into the " wreath. ". DH threaded little green lights into it.

I created a huge white satin bow for it.  It was so heavy that we had a pulley to get it up high enough in the great room so we could appreciate it.

At this age, we decided to donate it to my college where it graces the highest floor and has a split staircase flanking it.  My MIL would love it !  DH saw a cell phone picture of it but we will be in the Christmas gathering there next week.

It was meant to be shared !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I am blessed with so many special ornaments.  We used to buy one on all our travels and finally had to stop as we had way too many!!   But I have to go with the same as @SloopJohnB , the ones my children made in kindergarten for me are truly special and are on the Christmas tree every year.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I am blessed with so many special ornaments.  We used to buy one on all our travels and finally had to stop as we had way too many!!   But I have to go with the same as @SloopJohnB , the ones my children made in kindergarten for me are truly special and are on the Christmas tree every year.

@LindaSal   As they say on Family Feud, "Good Answer!"   LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

My favorites are the ones given to us by family and friends and especially those who are gone now.  I enjoy those the most. 

Great memories in those ornaments as we hang every year.  

I can't pick a favorite and have too many favorites.  But for now my most recent favorites are the ones I inherited from my sister who passed away couple years ago.  She loved Christmas and had so many beautiful ornaments.  The ones I chose are very special to me.  She passed in December and the last thing I did for her was clean her house and put up her Christmas tree.   Little did we know she would be gone 4 days later.  So glad I got to share that time with her.  

I can tell you my favorite tree topper is my Elvis angel that my other sister gave me one year.  We got such a kick out of that one and every year he still goes on the top of the one tree.  Who would have thought.  

Honored Contributor

It would have to be the six or so ornaments that are left from the trees we decorated 60 some years ago when I was a baby.