Occasional Contributor

Marth Stewart's Salmon Filets

OMG!!!!  I'm sitting here doing the math on this item... (correct me if I'm wrong)...

8 x 6-ounce filets = 3 pound, 6 ounces  (according to the description)

$99 and free shipping...

That equals $33 per pound of salmon???  Am I doing the math right?

Doesn't the grocery store (even Wh**e F**ds) sell fresh salmon at $10-15 a pound?

Why am I buying this???  Where is the VALUE in this item @  QVC

Respected Contributor

Re: Marth Stewart's Salmon Filets

Shipping is never free, it's rolled into the price. Wild caught salmon is my area runs $15. - $20. a pound depending where it came from, farm raised is $8. - $12. The store also carries wild caught organic...whatever that means, it's $22. & up.

Esteemed Contributor

At first, I thought the price was outrageous; and, I did not purchase.  However, if it is excellent quality, which I would expect, then I don't think the price is outrageous at all.  Each filet is just under 12.50.  If I went to a really good restaurant, a salmon dinner for one would be about $25 or more in my area.  Since I hate going out to dinner and prefer to cook, I would like to have these filets in my freezer to just pull out and prepare for dinner without having to go to the store, hope that they have salmon, and hope that it is fresh.  Again, though, that depends on the quality.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Wild organic salmon can be as much as $35 a pound. You can get regular salmon for $16 a pound. You have to make sure you are comparing the same thing.

Honored Contributor

It is like prime rib is a cut of meat while prime is a USDA grade for the best beef carcasses. People don’t understand what they are paying for. 

Prime rib can be graded below prime grade

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for answering.

How can one claim a Wild caught fish is organic, though?  There is no controlling where a salmon swims (wild) or what it eats (organic).  Right?   If it's farm raised, I don't think you can use Wild caught.

Honored Contributor

I bought wild salmon today at the market and it was $17.99 per pound.

Respected Contributor

@DresdenFiles2022wrote:

OMG!!!!  I'm sitting here doing the math on this item... (correct me if I'm wrong)...

8 x 6-ounce filets = 3 pound, 6 ounces  (according to the description)

$99 and free shipping...

That equals $33 per pound of salmon???  Am I doing the math right?

Doesn't the grocery store (even Wh**e F**ds) sell fresh salmon at $10-15 a pound?

@Why am I buying this???  Where is the VALUE in this item @  QVC

You have to look for quality. Not all food is from the United States. And I want to know what the food was fed. It's Important !

Valued Contributor

I absolutely will not buy any fish that is farm raised, I don't care where it comes from.  I live in Florida and always look for Florida wild caught, which is not available all the time.  Wild caught is the way I go and dry packed scallops.  If what I am looking for isn't available, I don't buy fish or seafood, I will eat veggies.  If Martha's salmon filets are wild-caught, then yes I would purchase.  I doubt she would put her name on anything was not authentic.  

Valued Contributor

It also depends on the demographic area as to cost and above all, freshness.